Kundalini Yoga

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Meezer77

Kundalini Yoga

Post by Meezer77 »

Hi all,

I went to a Kundalini class and felt really good afterwards. However a bit concerned afterwards cos I read about it on Wikipedia and there’s all kind of weird mystical tantric stuff involved which would probably make me wet my pants. How safe is it? Advice please 🙏
chownah

Re: Kundalini Yoga

Post by chownah »

Wetting your pants is harmless....so don't worry about it.

I think a good lesson format for one part of a buddhist retreat is for everyone to sit comfortably in a room and be given a variety of beverages to drink at their choosing.....the way it works is that you get to leave when you wet your pants.
chownah
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Meezer77 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:42 pm Hi all,

I went to a Kundalini class and felt really good afterwards. However a bit concerned afterwards cos I read about it on Wikipedia and there’s all kind of weird mystical tantric stuff involved which would probably make me wet my pants. How safe is it? Advice please 🙏
I haven't done kundalini. What kind of thing does it involve?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
auto

Post by auto »

could be that the sense organ and its object(internal and external ayatanas) are the ida and pingala channels. And the objectless without support ayatana is middle channel?
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Not that far ahead. Just wanna know if it’s safe and won’t send me bonkers :rolleye:
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

This made me feel great
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I've never tried it and know virtually nothing about it. A senior monk at our local monastery, however, gave a very strong warning about mixing it with Buddhist practices, and said he was helping another monk who had been doing it secretly and got himself into psychological difficulties.

I've no axe to grind on this, but that would be enough to sound a warning bell for me.
Antaradhana

Post by Antaradhana »

The Buddha did not teach any practitioners with chakras and channels, and did not even mention them. This means: 1. Either this does not exist in nature; 2. Either it is not useful for the practice of Dhamma, but useful for example for witchcraft, etc.
All that is subject to arising is subject to termination, all formations are non-permanent. And that which is impermanent is suffering. Regarding what is impermanent and prone to suffering, one cannot say: "This is mine, I am this, this is my self".
auto

Post by auto »

Antaradhana wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:09 pm The Buddha did not teach any practitioners with chakras and channels, and did not even mention them. This means: 1. Either this does not exist in nature; 2. Either it is not useful for the practice of Dhamma, but useful for example for witchcraft, etc.
i wouldn't be so sure about that.

cakka

http://dictionary.sutta.org/browse/c/cakkavatti
cakkavattiBuddhist Dictionary of Pali Proper Names by G P Malalasekera
the Wheel (Cakka) being the well known Indian symbol of empire
cakka:'wheel',is one of the seven 'precious possessions' (ratana) of a righteous World Emperor (cakkavatti:'He who owns the Wheel,' cf.D.26),and symbolizes conquering progress and expanding sovereignty.
http://dictionary.sutta.org/browse/r/ratana
Miln.262 (dussa° a very fine garment).-- Usually as a set of 7 valuables,belonging to the throne (the empire) of a (world-) king.Thus at D.II,16 sq.; of Mahā-Sudassana D.II,172 sq.They are enumd singly as follows:the wheel (cakka) D.II,172 sq.
Antaradhana

Post by Antaradhana »

auto wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 pm
Antaradhana wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:09 pm The Buddha did not teach any practitioners with chakras and channels, and did not even mention them. This means: 1. Either this does not exist in nature; 2. Either it is not useful for the practice of Dhamma, but useful for example for witchcraft, etc.
i wouldn't be so sure about that.

cakka

http://dictionary.sutta.org/browse/c/cakkavatti
cakkavattiBuddhist Dictionary of Pali Proper Names by G P Malalasekera
the Wheel (Cakka) being the well known Indian symbol of empire
cakka:'wheel',is one of the seven 'precious possessions' (ratana) of a righteous World Emperor (cakkavatti:'He who owns the Wheel,' cf.D.26),and symbolizes conquering progress and expanding sovereignty.
http://dictionary.sutta.org/browse/r/ratana
Miln.262 (dussa° a very fine garment).-- Usually as a set of 7 valuables,belonging to the throne (the empire) of a (world-) king.Thus at D.II,16 sq.; of Mahā-Sudassana D.II,172 sq.They are enumd singly as follows:the wheel (cakka) D.II,172 sq.
We are talking about the chakras, as some energy centers in the subtle body. In the suttas there is no such meaning of this term, as well as there is no system for training practitioners associated with chakras and energy channels. This is from Hindu yoga and new age.
All that is subject to arising is subject to termination, all formations are non-permanent. And that which is impermanent is suffering. Regarding what is impermanent and prone to suffering, one cannot say: "This is mine, I am this, this is my self".
auto

Post by auto »

Antaradhana wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:31 pm We are talking about the chakras, as some energy centers in the subtle body. In the suttas there is no such meaning of this term, as well as there is no system for training practitioners associated with chakras.
yes energy system, meridians etc. Fine garments. I think Suttas are about these garments.
Antaradhana

Post by Antaradhana »

auto wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:38 pm
Antaradhana wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:31 pm We are talking about the chakras, as some energy centers in the subtle body. In the suttas there is no such meaning of this term, as well as there is no system for training practitioners associated with chakras.
yes energy system, meridians etc. Fine garments. I think Suttas are about these garments.
There is no such context in these words in the suttas.
auto

Post by auto »

Antaradhana wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:49 pm
About what are the Suttas then?
Antaradhana

Post by Antaradhana »

auto wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Cakka - in the sense of a wheel, a circle, a disk.
For example, Dhammacakka - the wheel of Dhamma, or cakkavattin - the one who turns the wheel of power over the world. Cakka - as one of the cakkavattin artifacts - is a flying disco-shaped ship that can move the King Lord of the world with an army to any distance.
auto

Post by auto »

Antaradhana wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:18 pm
auto wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Cakka - in the sense of a wheel, a circle, a disk.
For example, Dhammacakka - the wheel of Dhamma, or cakkavattin - the one who turns the wheel of power over the world. Cakka - as one of the cakkavattin artifacts - is a flying disco-shaped ship that can move the King Lord of the world with an army to any distance.
would-be-Buddha did practices what he did because he said something. You will come under your own spell.

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/ ... rities.htm
Avacāhaṁ Jotipālo Sugataṁ Kassapaṁ tadā:
As Jotipāla I spoke to the Buddha Kassapa, (saying):

“Kuto nu Bodhi muṇḍassa? Bodhi paramadullabhā!” [92]
“Where is this shavelings' Awakening? Awakening is supremely rare!”

Tena kammavipākena acariṁ dukkaraṁ bahuṁ
Through that deed and its result I practiced many austerities

Chabbassān-Uruvelāyaṁ tato Bodhim-apāpuṇiṁ. [93]
For six years at Uruvelā, and then attained to Awakening.

Nāhaṁ etena maggena pāpuṇiṁ Bodhim-uttamaṁ,
I did not attain the supreme Awakening through this path (of pain),

Kummaggena gavesissaṁ pubbakammena vārito. [94]
I sought along the wrong path being obstructed by a past deed.

Puññapāpaparikkhīṇo, sabbasantāpavajjito,
With merit and demerit destroyed, abstaining from all torment,

Asoko anupāyāso, nibbāyissam-anāsavo. ti [95]
Griefless, without despair, I will be released, without pollutants.