Do followers of Abrahamic religion offer sacrifices to God?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW
Posts: 11976
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Do followers of Abrahamic religion offer sacrifices to God?

Post by SarathW » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Do they eat the sacrificed animals?
Do people sacrifice animals (or kill) have a lower life expectancy?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5479
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Do followers of Abrahamic religion offer sacrifices to God?

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
.


Thanks to this thread, I'm quite shocked to know some Hindus and some Christians still sacrifice animals these days.
I don't think any Christians sacrifice animals, nor has that been claimed here.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5479
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Do followers of Abrahamic religion offer sacrifices to God?

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:01 pm

SarathW wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 pm
Do people sacrifice animals (or kill) have a lower life expectancy?
That would depend on a huge range of factors, but the animals certainly do!

KiwiNFLFan
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am

Re: Do followers of Abrahamic religion offer sacrifices to God?

Post by KiwiNFLFan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:43 pm

SarathW wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 pm
Do they eat the sacrificed animals?
Do people sacrifice animals (or kill) have a lower life expectancy?
In my understanding, the meat from the animals sacrificed at Eid al-Adha is given to the poor.

User avatar
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Re: Do followers of Abrahamic religion offer sacrifices to God?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:59 pm
...
...
I don't think any Christians sacrifice animals, nor has that been claimed here.

Facts:
Animal sacrifice: Christianity
  • some rural Christian communities have continued to sacrifice animals (which are then consumed in a feast) as part of worship ...
  • Some villages in Greece sacrifice animals to Orthodox saints ...
  • Sacrifice of a lamb, or less commonly a rooster, is a common practice in Armenian Church, and the Tewahedo Church of Ethiopia and Eritrea.
  • some Mayans following a form of Folk Catholicism in Mexico today still sacrifice animals in conjunction with church practices...







Sam Vara wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:59 pm
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
.


Thanks to this thread, I'm quite shocked to know some Hindus and some Christians still sacrifice animals these days.
I don't think any Christians sacrifice animals, nor has that been claimed here.
Neither have I mentioned that that has been claimed here.

I just said "thanks to this thread", which, of course, is quite different from "claimed here in this thread".




.
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5479
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Do followers of Abrahamic religion offer sacrifices to God?

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:21 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:59 pm
...
...
I don't think any Christians sacrifice animals, nor has that been claimed here.

Facts:
Animal sacrifice: Christianity
  • some rural Christian communities have continued to sacrifice animals (which are then consumed in a feast) as part of worship ...
  • Some villages in Greece sacrifice animals to Orthodox saints ...
  • Sacrifice of a lamb, or less commonly a rooster, is a common practice in Armenian Church, and the Tewahedo Church of Ethiopia and Eritrea.
  • some Mayans following a form of Folk Catholicism in Mexico today still sacrifice animals in conjunction with church practices...







Sam Vara wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:59 pm
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
.


Thanks to this thread, I'm quite shocked to know some Hindus and some Christians still sacrifice animals these days.
I don't think any Christians sacrifice animals, nor has that been claimed here.
Neither have I mentioned that that has been claimed here.

I just said "thanks to this thread", which, of course, is quite different from "claimed here in this thread".




.
Sorry, I took you to mean that you found out by means of this thread that Christians sacrifice animals. They don't, of course, any more than Buddhist monks commit murder!

User avatar
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Re: Do followers of Abrahamic religion offer sacrifices to God?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:24 pm
...
...
Sorry, I took you to mean that you found out by means of this thread that Christians sacrifice animals. They don't, of course, any more than Buddhist monks commit murder!
Good point.

May I write in your wordings, ... They don't, of course, any more than Australian Thai-Forest monks commit murder!

:rofl:
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], sakyan and 81 guests