Fundamentalist Questions

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Tenma

Re: Fundamentalist Questions

Post by Tenma » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Dinsdale wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:46 am
I'm not sure I would even try to answer questions from a fundamentalist, given they are strongly attached to their own views, and not really interested in the answers.
Such people are so convinced about the rightness of their own position that they are not interested in genuine discussion.
For the sake of those who are still amateurs on the path looking into the other faiths, let's try to help them out.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Tenma wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm
Dinsdale wrote:
I'm not sure I would even try to answer questions from a fundamentalist, given they are strongly attached to their own views, and not really interested in the answers.
Such people are so convinced about the rightness of their own position that they are not interested in genuine discussion.
For the sake of those who are still amateurs on the path looking into the other faiths, let's try to help them out.
If people are genuinely interested, sure, but I doubt very much that's the case with Christian fundamentalists.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Dinsdale wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:18 pm
Tenma wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm
Dinsdale wrote:
If people are genuinely interested, sure, but I doubt very much that's the case with Christian fundamentalists.
It's possible. I was once a Christian fundamentalist.