Am I carrying the stick ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Am I carrying the stick ?

Post by SarathW » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:41 am

Am I carrying the stick?
Whatever I do in this birth is nothing to do with the person who was in my last birth. In the same way, whoever does whatever in my next birth also nothing to do with me. Because it is not me in the past, present or in the future.
I am just carrying the stick of attachment, aversion and ignorance and hand over to someone else.
It is just like the team member carrying the stick in a relay game. I have the choice to throw this stick and end the race!
Why do I have to do it?

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

DooDoot

Re: Am I carrying the stick ?

Post by DooDoot » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:46 am

SarathW wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:41 am
I am just carrying the stick of attachment, aversion and ignorance and hand over to someone else.
'The one who acts is someone other than the one who experiences' amounts to the annihilationist statement ...

SN 12.17
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:29 pm

Dandapāni is carrying the stick. :jumping:

budo

Post by budo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Whatever I do in this birth is nothing to do with the person who was in my last birth. In the same way, whoever does whatever in my next birth also nothing to do with me.
Still the same person, since there is no person even now. How can you destroy what doesn't exist?

You have nothing to do with you in the present moment, let alone in the past or future births.

Continuity still exists, only the reference points (variables in programming aka labels) are deleted.

Someone who remembers their past lives has simply restored their reference points.

Do you remember what you wore 5 years ago, first Tuesday of March at 3pm? If you don't does that mean you didn't exist?

This is why being stuck on future and past lives is wrong view. It's all the same, all that matters is the present.

If you don't understand the dhamma now, you won't understand it in the future either. Just like if you didn't study math in grade school, even though you may not remember the specific lessons, you won't know math now, unless you choose to study it.

The only difference is that in the future there may not be any 4 Nikayas to learn from, and you could be lost forever in Samsara.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:21 pm

No.

The dhammas are carrying the stick.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:21 pm

No.

And which is the carrier of the burden? 'The person,' it should be said. This venerable one with such a name, such a clan-name. This is called the carrier of the burden.

The carrier of the burden is the person. :roll:

Bhāra Sutta

SarathW wrote:
Am I carrying the stick?
'I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I :P fall heir.'

Upajjhatthana Sutta
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:23 pm
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:21 pm

No.

And which is the carrier of the burden? 'The person,' it should be said. This venerable one with such a name, such a clan-name. This is called the carrier of the burden.

The carrier of the burden is the person. :roll:

Bhāra Sutta

SarathW wrote:
Am I carrying the stick?
'I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I :P fall heir.'

Upajjhatthana Sutta
:goodpost:
https://suttacentral.net/sn22.22/en/sujato
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”