DMT and Buddhism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Polar Bear

DMT and Buddhism

Post by Polar Bear »

From another thread, I didn’t want to go off-topic:
budo wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 am
Moses saw God (Brahma -> Abrahm -> Abraham, Saraswati -> Sarai -> Sarah) in Egypt because he smoked DMT.

At that time trees in that region were loaded with DMT , which are now extinct

Acacia Nilotica (tree with lots of DMT) was all over Israel and Egypt

So you think smoking dimethyltryptamine gives one access to the rupa-loka?

I’ve smoked DMT like a dozen times, but I never met the machine elves or Brahma or what have you, just a bunch of morphing patterns/fractals and an insane body high. Maybe I just didn’t take fat enough rips though. Have you smoked DMT Budo? What was it like for you?

I think it’s interesting that DMT spiritualism has made its way onto a Theravada forum.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
binocular

Re: DMT and Buddhism

Post by binocular »

Polar Bear wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 pmI think it’s interesting that DMT spiritualism has made its way onto a Theravada forum.
And if you rub your eyes, you see stars!

EDIT:
I mean -- A spirituality that depends on intoxicants is a spirituality that depends on luck. It's a spirituality where one's own actions mean little or nothing. It's a spirituality where one believes, essentially, in magic. This may all seem very "spiritual", but what's the point in it?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
budo

Post by budo »

The pineal gland and DMT

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6088236/

Pineal gland is also where the "Third eye" is. A lot of this stuff is unknown still.

Although many have reported to have seen angels and machine elves and such on DMT. I have never smoked DMT, but I've had similar experiences as those DMT reports I've read and heard about, but I had it from meditation focusing on the nimitta between the eyebrows (activating pineal gland?).

For example I had it where I saw eyes everywhere in spiderwebs just like this image which is used on the cover of the famous DMT book by Dr. Rick Strassman.

Notice the white orb nimitta at the top of the image.

And I've seen machine elves/devas as well, that match DMT reports, which looked like this

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Fascinating. As a disclosure, I should say I’m skeptical that the hallucinations experienced by DMT users correspond to anything in reality but it’s still interesting anyway.

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
budo

Post by budo »

Polar Bear wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:50 pm Fascinating. As a disclosure, I should say I’m skeptical that the hallucinations experienced by DMT users correspond to anything in reality but it’s still interesting anyway.

Yes, I don't make objective claims regarding these experiences.

For all I know, it could just be a simulation within a simulation, a dream within a dream.
budo

Post by budo »

Rick Strassman, MD (leading expert on DMT) on DMT and Meditation

Joe Rogan's experience on DMT

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

binocular wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:11 pm
Polar Bear wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 pmI think it’s interesting that DMT spiritualism has made its way onto a Theravada forum.
And if you rub your eyes, you see stars!

EDIT:
I mean -- A spirituality that depends on intoxicants is a spirituality that depends on luck. It's a spirituality where one's own actions mean little or nothing. It's a spirituality where one believes, essentially, in magic. This may all seem very "spiritual", but what's the point in it?
For someone who believes that DMT offers access to beings in other dimensions it might be to explore this other aspect of the cosmos and see if they can discover something about its mysteries. It may have nothing to do with being moral, being happy, or finding some kind of salvation. It may be purely a quest through the spiritual realms to know and see things unknown and unseen before. When the dedicated psychonaut sees in the corner of a map “here be dragons” that’s where he/she sets sail, and maybe they’re not entirely sure why, they just have a need to see what’s there, an unbridled curiosity. Hopefully they avoid brain damage and mental breakdowns. Smoking DMT is basically safe though, ayahuasca might land you in a psych ward or a morgue if the substance is made improperly or one’s mind isn’t set up to cope with the conditions of the trip.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Polar Bear wrote:It may be purely a quest through the spiritual realms to know and see things unknown and unseen before.
It may also be hallucinations (as with LSD) and not connected to "spiritual realms" at all.

budo

Post by budo »

Aloka wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 pm
Polar Bear wrote:It may be purely a quest through the spiritual realms to know and see things unknown and unseen before.
It may also be hallucinations (as with LSD) and not connected to "spiritual realms" at all.

In which case it's a quest or journey of one's subconscious or mind.
budo

Post by budo »

Polar Bear wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:03 pm if the substance is made improperly or one’s mind isn’t set up to cope with the conditions of the trip.
You can also get organ failure from coffee beans that contain certain dosages of poisons. Humans have a knack of turning poisons into stimulants.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

budo wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 am
Moses saw God (Brahma -> Abrahm -> Abraham, Saraswati -> Sarai -> Sarah) in Egypt because he smoked DMT.

At that time trees in that region were loaded with DMT , which are now extinct

Acacia Nilotica (tree with lots of DMT) was all over Israel and Egypt

So DMT resulted in all of those major & minor social morality rules called "The Torah"; including stoning sinners to death?
According to the Talmud, Deut. 33:04 is to be interpreted to mean that Moses transmitted the "Torah" from God to the Israelites: "Moses commanded us the Torah as an inheritance for the community of Jacob". The Talmud notes that the Hebrew numerical value (gematria) of the word "Torah" is 611, and combining Moses's 611 commandments with the first two of the Ten Commandments which were the only ones heard directly from God, adds up to 613.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments
:alien:
budo wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:14 pm Rick Strassman, MD (leading expert on DMT) on DMT and Meditation
@12.22 "They understood ;) the visions & voices were revealed and not created by the DMT ;) ". "Revelation". ;)
As phenomena grow clear [are revealed]
to the brahman — ardent, in jhāna —
his doubts all vanish
when he discerns
a phenomenon with its cause.

Ud 1.1
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Topic closed at OP request.

If there's anything members wish to go on with, please create a new topic, specific to your interest.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."