Jews in Buddhism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DooDoot

Re: Why Buddhism is not growing?

Post by DooDoot » Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 am

DNS wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 am
what about the Jews who are not pro-Israel globalists; and who support 2 state solution? They are not [real] Jews, in your view?
I suppose I think a "religion" cannot keep reinventing itself. The lovely folks in the videos below sound like they are preaching Christianity to me. To me, while Christianity is a Jewish tribal religion, it is a "reinvention" & obviously not the religion of the Old Testament. If so, what is the real Judaism? :shrug: If Christianity or Reformist Judaism is the "real Judaism"; then Mahayana, for example, is the "real Buddhism".

:anjali:

:anjali:

While the spirituality of the good & noble people in the above videos always inspires me (I had to find my favourite videos), I think is it plainly obvious the religion of the Old Testament contains the religious doctrines of the Promised Land, Destruction of the Nations and world rule from Jerusalem (in Isaiah) which are related to the Judaic or Hebrew conception of "God". Those Christians who are totally zealous about Israel I would consider to be Crypto-Jews. Also, for example, David Ben-Gurion claimed to be an atheist but continued to quote the Old Testament. Personally, I regard him as "religious".
David Ben-Gurion wrote:"In Jerusalem, the United Nations (a truly United Nations) will build a Shrine of the Prophets to serve the federated union of all continents; this will be the seat of the Supreme Court of Mankind, to settle all controversies among the federated continents, as prophesied by Isaiah. Higher education will be the right of every person in the world. A pill to prevent pregnancy will slow down the explosive natural increase in China and India, And by 1987, the average life-span of man will reach 100 years."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:David_Ben-Gurion
Ben-Gurion also described himself as an irreligious person who developed atheism in his youth and who demonstrated no great sympathy for the elements of traditional Judaism, though he quoted the Bible extensively in his speeches and writings. Modern Orthodox philosopher Yeshayahu Leibowitz considered Ben-Gurion "to have hated Judaism more than any other man he had met".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ben-Gurion
:alien:
Manopubbangama wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:37 pm
Jews tend to be overrepresented in virtually all intellectual areas.... Bhikkhu Bodhi, born Jeffrey Block in New York City was born into Judaism (which branch Im not sure), but is now 100% a Theravadin through and through.
Maybe. But doubtful Jews tend to be overrepresented in the true monastic path of celibacy, solitude & the destruction of self-view. In fact, it could be hypothetically possible that Jews are underrepresented in true monasticism & over represented in the intellectualism & talking; thus have not gone beyond their Jewish cultural conditioning. For example, Bhikkhu Bodhi, born Jeffrey Block in New York City, is involved in "Engaged Buddhism" or "Social Justice" and was accused by Bhikkhu Thanissaro of bringing Talmudism into Buddhism when trying to rationalize a case for "Just War" against the Nazis, where Buddhists not intent on here & now Nibbana would die in a Just War to save Jews. It seemed the only case for a "Just War" Jeffrey Block could imagine was to stop the "Holocaust". Refer to DW topic: Bhikkhu Bodhi on Just War and Thanissaro's rebuttal

:smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

Manopubbangama

Re: Jews in Buddhism

Post by Manopubbangama » Thu May 30, 2019 6:36 am

SarathW wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:17 pm
he's only Jewish on his mother's side. :tongue:
TheDhamma.com
What about his father?
Isn't he a Jewish?
He is....just a bit of everything....

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Thu May 30, 2019 9:51 am

Manopubbangama wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:36 am
He is....just a bit of everything....
Easily to see how folks here are believers in Zionist-Judaism; which is the opposite of the religious Torah-Jews in the videos. This worship of all things "Jewish" promoted by mass-media & American education shows how this Zionist-Judaism is growing and how Westerners & Sri-Lankans fall for this Anti-Islam Political Materialism Imperialism called "Zionism". Where as religious Torah-Jews are grateful towards Islam (as the Buddha taught us to be grateful towards any gift or benefaction), which protected & allowed Judaism to flourish for many centuries. The religious or virtuous noble Torah Jews in the video speak gratefully & favourably how Judaism existed in North African, Middle-Eastern & Persian lands. So religious, wholesome, virtuous or pious Judaism is in decline but the worldly materialistic imperialistic Judaism is growing. My prediction is this "Imperialist Internationism" will be the greatest religion to survive by the year 2050. My even better prediction is these internal aggregates called DooDoot will have (hopefully) ended by 2050. :thumbsup:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu May 30, 2019 10:29 am

My even better prediction is these internal aggregates called DooDoot will have (hopefully) ended by 2050.
Do not give up until you attain Nibbana.
Hanging there! Queen is still going strong.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Thu May 30, 2019 11:16 am

DooDoot wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:57 am
Interesting replies but the OP referred to the "religion" or "doctrine" called "Judaism" rather than a "race" or "DNA" called "Jews". It seems like the apparent confusion in each answer validates the OP; that the "Buddhists" on this thread are not discerning "what is what" but instead are engaged in racial identitarianism. Instead, similar to the religion or doctrine of Judaism, the posters here appear to mix "religion" with "tribe/race" when convenient. If religious "Judaism" means being "Jewish", per the apparent rationale of the posters, then all of the names cited, such as Bhikkhu Bodhi, cannot be "Buddhist" because they are "Jewish", which is the religion of "Judaism". This shows the posters here are **thinking** similar to the Judaic religion and shows how the religion of Judaism is actually growing. :smile:
"Buddhism" means "the Teaching of the Enlightened One." A Buddha is an enlightened individual, one who knows the truth about all things, one who knows just what is what.
:alien:
budo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:24 pm
Most of Judaism is already dying...
Its not "dying". It is just transforming into different forms; as demonstrated by the thinking displayed on this topic where "Jews" are regarded as "Buddhists" and where the religion of "Judaism" was correlated with "Jewish people". The OP didn't ever mention "Jewish people" yet the answers did.

Also, the religion of Judaism is also a geo-political doctrine about the Promised Land and the destruction of the nations. Since the Promised Land is actually growing, Judaism is obviously growing. Since the US Congress is bringing in laws saying criticism of the State of Israel is "antisemitism" and laws prohibiting trade boycotts of State of Israel, the religion of Judaism is obviously growing.
DNS wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:26 pm
Eventually, even Israel won't be a nation any more as it gets subsumed into the surrounding Arab nations or into Palestine (the numbers of religious Jews are just not there and they are greatly out-numbered by secular Jews and Arabs, in the region).
The above does not appear to be happening. Israel appear to be growing, including US recognition of the Golan Heights and the financing of more West Bank settlements by Kushner & Co.

:smile:
I sure hope Israel is growing. I dream of a world where all the people from Morocco to Pakistan convert to judaism, making Israel the greatest nation on Earth, bringing peace to the world.
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

budo

Post by budo » Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 am

One needs to understand how the Jews arrived in Israel and Europe. Jews are not native to Israel, and also Palestinians are not native to Israel either. Europeans are also not native to Europe, and Native Americans (Mongolians) are not native to Americas either. Almost no one is native to their country on this planet as we all originated from Africa. A foolish person will claim nativity, but history is filled with Might makes Right, even Indigeous American natives used violence.

Jews are slaves in Egypt -> Escape to Canaan -> God told them Canaan is their home -> Slaughtering of Canaanites? -> Establishment of Judea and Israel -> First invasion of Greek Empire -> Greeks integrate into Jewish society -> Jews arrive in Athens -> Greek written language is born, prior to that tey used pictures/symbols for writing, they learn written script from Aramaic -> First invasion of Roman Empire -> Invention of Christianity -> Jews arrive in Venice, Rome -> Establishment of Jewish "Bankers" as Christians aren't allowed to lend money to eachother -> from there Jews spread across Europe

Moses saw God (Brahma -> Abrahm -> Abraham, Saraswati -> Sarai -> Sarah) in Egypt because he smoked DMT.

At that time trees in that region were loaded with DMT , which are now extinct

Acacia Nilotica (tree with lots of DMT) was all over Israel and Egypt

People harvested and ate Acacia Nicoltica fruits and smoked it

Download full PDF here

Maybe the Bodhi trees also have lots of DMT in them too? Trees seem to be important in all ancient religions and shamanism like the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life

You guys foolishly argue over religion, politics and identity and do not attain understanding.

Let go of your identity bulllshit. Focus on the dhamma.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 am

I sure hope Israel is growing. I dream of a world where all the people from Morocco to Pakistan convert to judaism, making Israel the greatest nation on Earth, bringing peace to the world.
How they can bring peace to the world when they can't bring peace to Palestine?
Perhaps, unless all Jews become Buddhists?
:tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

budo

Post by budo » Thu May 30, 2019 11:47 am

Moses high on DMT, sees God in The Burning Bush (Acacia Nilotica)

I AM THAT I AM, aka no object, just awareness.

I AM (SUBJECT) BUDO (OBJECT).

I AM (SUBJECT) THAT I AM (SUBJECT)

longer version with god revealing his name

God is purity of awareness, a light of the eternal mind

polo

Post by polo » Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm

DNS wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:57 pm
Manopubbangama wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:37 pm
Jews tend to be overrepresented in virtually all intellectual areas.

Firefighters and carpenters? Not so much. :tongue:
Carpenters? Don't forget Jesus; he was a carpenter. Oh, wait a minute; he's only Jewish on his mother's side. :tongue:
If I may be allow to deviate a little from Buddhism since Jesus's mother is mentioned here. Christianity like Islam are both religions based on falsehood yet they are able to sustain for so long. I thought any belief that didn't have truth to back up would soon collapse.
I was shocked when I heard this story from my christian friend,she said, when Mary the mother of Jesus was 15 years old she was pregnant and the jewish community wanted to stone her for her sin. Joseph the carpenter took pity on her and took her as his wife and thus saved her from death penalty.
When Mary claimed to be a virgin and that Angel Gabriel visited her and had the miracle performed on her. That was how she got pregnant she said.
To prove that they asked two mid-wives to have her examined. The first mid-wife put her finger into the vagina of Mary to feel the hymen which was found to be completely intact. Then the second mid-wife also found the hymen intact. Thus Mary was vindicated.
I am a hardcore atheist. I couldn't believe this bible story getting really that intricate. Without any written record at all it seems to weave a web of deceit in a very fine manner with lots of good imaginations too. There is no recorded history of Christianity not even in stone tablet. Bible was compiled by 5 different persons 500 years after the supposed date when christ died on the cross.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu May 30, 2019 2:52 pm

polo wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm

If I may be allow to deviate a little from Buddhism since Jesus's mother is mentioned here. Christianity like Islam are both religions based on falsehood yet they are able to sustain for so long. I thought any belief that didn't have truth to back up would soon collapse.
I was shocked when I heard this story from my christian friend,she said, when Mary the mother of Jesus was 15 years old she was pregnant and the jewish community wanted to stone her for her sin. Joseph the carpenter took pity on her and took her as his wife and thus saved her from death penalty.
When Mary claimed to be a virgin and that Angel Gabriel visited her and had the miracle performed on her. That was how she got pregnant she said.
To prove that they asked two mid-wives to have her examined. The first mid-wife put her finger into the vagina of Mary to feel the hymen which was found to be completely intact. Then the second mid-wife also found the hymen intact. Thus Mary was vindicated.
I am a hardcore atheist. I couldn't believe this bible story getting really that intricate. Without any written record at all it seems to weave a web of deceit in a very fine manner with lots of good imaginations too. There is no recorded history of Christianity not even in stone tablet. Bible was compiled by 5 different persons 500 years after the supposed date when christ died on the cross.
The books of the Bible were decided on, as you say, around 500 A.D.; this was a process initiated by early church councils and carried on over a period of time according to debated criteria. It is a bit like the closing of the Pali Canon, a process designed to preserve the purity of the teaching. The actual writings, however, were completed much earlier as a series of discrete texts. The first accounts of Jesus' life (and the only ones to make it into the Biblical Canon) were the Gospels, which most scholars think date from around forty to eighty years after his death.

The story about Mary and the midwife sounds like a garbled or embellished account found in the Apocryphal Gospel of James (which didn't make it into the canon). A midwife is called to check Mary's virginity, which proves to be the case; rather like the "Doubting Thomas" episode regarding Christ's wounds. There is no mention of Mary becoming illicitly pregnant by natural means, which is of course a story told in countless settings where such doctrinal debunkings are repeated.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Fri May 31, 2019 12:20 am

While on the subject of the Jews, here is David Reynolds (Pannobhasa) on anti-semitism.

https://politicallyincorrectdharma.blog ... -1-up.html

Nothing in it about the Dhamma; just a straightforward set of opinions about the history of anti-semitism. It also ties in with Sarath's thread about what makes religions prosper. So Mods, please feel free to move it there if you think it more appropriate, and apologies if this leads off-topic into political argument which you have to suppress. That's not my intention.