Tibetan Buddhism is very colorful.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ChooChoo

Tibetan Buddhism is very colorful.

Post by ChooChoo » Fri May 10, 2019 5:49 pm

I don't follow Tibetan Buddhism but I have noticed that they put a lot of emphasis on visual art and costumes. I recently saw a video some one posted on facebook and I have to say it was very colorful. The monks had on these giant yellow hats that looked like mohawks, Their painting and depictions of Budhha are very colorful with a lot of stuff going on in the the background. At one point they entered a room and there was color everywhere and flashing lights. The monks broke off into a chant and the way they were chanting reminded me of a didgeeridoo. Tibetan Buddhism is a visual overload.

I don't know anything about Tibetan Buddhism. What are the central texts to that religion? Where can I learn about the basics?

Aloka

Re: Tibetan Buddhism is very colorful.

Post by Aloka » Fri May 10, 2019 6:42 pm

ChooChoo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:49 pm

I don't know anything about Tibetan Buddhism. What are the central texts to that religion? Where can I learn about the basics?
Hi ChooChoo,

The best place to ask questions about Tibetan Buddhism is the "sister" Mahayana/Vajrayana website - Dharma Wheel:

https://dharmawheel.net/index.php