Theravada and mahayana

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
sentinel

Re: Theravada and mahayana

Post by sentinel »

Dhammanando wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:48 am

May I ask who they are? I've never heard of this before. The strictest Mahayana monks I know of are the disciples of the
late Master Hsuan Hua, but even they use money, as did the master

the Vinaya explicitly allows under the tenth nissaggiya pācittiya rule and the Meṇḍaka allowance.

Here are few Mahayana monks didn't handle money and fasting after noon hour .

1. 廣化律师 vinaya master Guang Hua (born in China and moved to Taiwan)

https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E5%B9%BF% ... B%E5%B8%88

2. 濟濤律师 vinaya master Ji Tao (born in China later moved to Taiwan)

https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E6%B5%8E% ... 5%E5%B8%88

https://books.google.com/books/about/%E ... 8NtAEACAAJ

3. 弘一律师 vinaya master Hong Yi (China)

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9D%8E ... 4%E5%90%8C

https://g.co/kgs/TYeGBc

4. 道海律师 vinaya master Dao Hai (China)

http://www.fjdh.cn/wumin/2012/11/102228190816.html

Ps.

1. As far as I know , master Hsuan Hua himself didn't touch or handle money . Perhaps , bhante could elaborate .

2. My understanding is ,
The robe fund should not equivalent to gold or silver and money etc . This contradict the other rules .

Rule number 10

In case a king, a royal official, a brahman, or a householder sends a robe fund for the sake of a bhikkhu via a messenger, (saying,) “Having purchased a robe with this robe fund, clothe the bhikkhu named so-and-so with a robe”: If the messenger, approaching the bhikkhu, should say, “This is a robe fund being delivered for the sake of the venerable one. May the venerable one accept this robe fund,” then the bhikkhu is to tell the messenger: “We do not accept robe funds, my friend. We accept robes (robe-cloth) as are proper according to season.”

If the messenger should say to the bhikkhu, “Does the venerable one have a steward?” then, bhikkhus, if the bhikkhu desires a robe, he may indicate a steward—either a monastery attendant or a lay follower—(saying,) “That, my friend, is the bhikkhus’ steward.”

If the messenger, having instructed the steward and going to the bhikkhu, should say, “I have instructed the steward the venerable one indicated. May the venerable one go (to him) and he will clothe you with a robe in season,” then the bhikkhu, desiring a robe and approaching the steward, may prompt and remind him two or three times, “I have need of a robe.” Should (the steward) produce the robe after being prompted and reminded two or three times, that is good.

If he should not produce the robe, (the bhikkhu) should stand in silence four times, five times, six times at most for that purpose. Should (the steward) produce the robe after (the bhikkhu) has stood in silence for that purpose four, five, six times at most, that is good.

If he should not produce the robe (at that point), should he then produce the robe after (the bhikkhu) has endeavored further than that, it is to be forfeited and confessed.

If he should not produce (the robe), then the bhikkhu himself should go to the place from which the robe fund was brought, or a messenger should be sent (to say), “The robe fund that you, venerable sirs, sent for the sake of the bhikkhu has given no benefit to the bhikkhu at all. May you be united with what is yours. May what is yours not be lost.” This is the proper course here.
You always gain by giving
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

sentinel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:37 am Here are few Mahayana monks didn't handle money and fasting after noon hour .
Thank you.
sentinel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:37 am 1. As far as I know , master Hsuan Hua himself didn't touch or handle money . Perhaps , bhante could elaborate.
When the two American bowing monks Heng Sure and Heng Chau came to stay at Chithurst Forest Monastery in 1983, the latter gave an evening talk. In the course of the talk he related an anecdote about Master Hua once playing a money-related prank on him. It went something like this:

There was a large party of monks at some American airport and Master Hua gives Heng Chau the money to buy plane tickets for everyone, but he gives it to him in one-dollar bills. Also it's one dollar short of the amount needed for the airfares.

So Heng Chau goes to buy the tickets and hands over the money to the cashier. It takes her several minutes to count it all, and in the meantime a large queue of impatient passengers is building up behind him. When the cashier's finished counting it she tells Heng Chau: "Sorry, you're a dollar short."

Heng Chau goes back to Master Hua and tells him he needs another dollar.

"No you don't. I already gave you the exact amount."

Heng Chau goes back to the ticket sales and tells the cashier that it's already the exact amount. So the cashier recounts it and again tells him that he's a dollar short.

Heng Chau goes back to Master Hua and tells him he needs another dollar.

"I already gave you the exact amount. Are you calling me a liar?"

And so this process is repeated several times, with Heng Chau growing increasingly flustered.

And then there was some kind of a Zen punchline to the story, but I've forgotten it now. Suffice to say that I have it on Heng Chau's authority that Master Hua did handle money.
sentinel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:37 am 2. My understanding is ,
The robe fund should not equivalent to gold or silver and money etc . This contradict the other rules.
I don't know what you're trying to say here. I cited the rule because it clearly shows that it was the ancient practice to use a lay steward to handle money matters.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Dhammanando wrote:"[Master Hua:] I already gave you the exact amount. Are you calling me a liar?"

And so this process is repeated several times, with Heng Chau growing increasingly flustered."
If the story is true, then guess all that bowing stuff didn't make Heng Chau's mind any sharper. He could just bring the money back and count it in front of Master Hua so he could see it for himself, instead of counting and recouting several times over at the cashier's desk. And while doing it, maybe jokingly ask the master: "So, Master, what's up with all that money-handling precept?"