On Your Way Home - A Road to Nirvana for the West

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
confusedlayman

Re: On Your Way Home - A Road to Nirvana for the West

Post by confusedlayman »

rhinoceroshorn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:52 pm
PeterC86 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am
I have one more thing to add; those who have been indoctrinated don't know that they have been indoctrinated, else they would not be indoctrinated. Theravada is a doctrine, and what you get is the blind leading the blind.
Today I read such things and laugh.
I also laugh when someone doubts Buddha-Dhamma, enlightenment, stages of enlightenment, karma and other things.

I started to understand why advanced people on the path like teachers in general keep things in secrecy and only share them when asked or when they find very convenient.

I now understand why the Buddha almost gave up teaching the Dhamma. If that Brahma God had not asked him to do so, we would probably be doomed now.
true.. even now u also would have felt the same after validating the dhamma... see my post in another thread where i posted buddhism is not for everyone...
Many people building fast boat to reach other side of samsara called nibbana shore...

But it is actually reached " by not travelling, not driving the boat, not moving the mind"

as long as movement of mind is there, then revolve and rotate in samara

SteRo

Post by SteRo »

It is diffucult to help someone to get out of a self-chosen deadlock when that deadlock is based on an experience that has been felt to be extraordinary and has not been known before. Such experiences may happen and may easily be miscontrued because conceit readily grasps those as 'me' and 'mine' and fabricates narratives around it that are inspired by what one has heard or learned. Since there is no possibility to communicate such experiences to others as words are not identical with experiences it might happen that if these experiences are grasped as 'me' and 'mine' alleged self is driven into some kind of isolation.
Therefore the Buddha's advice should be followed on all occasions and in the context of all experiences:
"And, venerable sir, how does self-identity view not come into being?"

"There is the case, householder, where a well-instructed disciple of the noble ones — who has regard for noble ones, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma; who has regard for men of integrity, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma — does not assume form to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form. He does not assume feeling to be the self... He does not assume perception to be the self... He does not assume fabrications to be the self... He does not assume consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness. This is how self-identity view does not come into being."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... 3.than.htm
The habit to grasp as realities the concepts arising from contacting words seems to be deep-rooted.

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Hello,

I am looking for someone who is willing to edit the book, as I am not a native English speaker and I keep finding linguistical errors. So if someone is a native English speaker, or is more proficient in the English language than me, and is willing, and able, to put some effort into it, please PM me and I can send you the book in Word format. This editing can be done anonymously, but I will be happy to write a thank you note to your name in the book.

I am willing to let your creativity go free to edit it as you wish, because maybe sentences, or the entire book itself, could be better structured, or things could possibly be better explained. I am not pretending to be a perfect author, nor perfect in any other sense, and I am very open to improvements for the benefit of the reader. The final product will be in according to our mutual satisfaction, although I will bare the responsibility to make the final decision, as the author, if there in some way remains a disagreement about the work.

One shouldn't necessarily take this as a big undertaking. If someone is willing to only correct linguistical errors, I will be more than happy.

Hope to hear from you, and a big thank you in advance!

Warm regards,
Peter
I am only here to guide others who are searching for Nibbana.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

PeterC86 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:57 am
Hello,

I am looking for someone who is willing to edit the book, as I am not a native English speaker and I keep finding linguistical errors. So if someone is a native English speaker, or is more proficient in the English language than me, and is willing, and able, to put some effort into it, please PM me and I can send you the book in Word format. This editing can be done anonymously, but I will be happy to write a thank you note to your name in the book.

I am willing to let your creativity go free to edit it as you wish, because maybe sentences, or the entire book itself, could be better structured, or things could possibly be better explained. I am not pretending to be a perfect author, nor perfect in any other sense, and I am very open to improvements for the benefit of the reader. The final product will be in according to our mutual satisfaction, although I will bare the responsibility to make the final decision, as the author, if there in some way remains a disagreement about the work.

One shouldn't necessarily take this as a big undertaking. If someone is willing to only correct linguistical errors, I will be more than happy.

Hope to hear from you, and a big thank you in advance!

Warm regards,
Peter
I am planning to write a book, can be 1 page and still be called as book?
Many people building fast boat to reach other side of samsara called nibbana shore...

But it is actually reached " by not travelling, not driving the boat, not moving the mind"

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

confusedlayman wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:38 am

Is English not your first language?

Here's a definition of "book" from the Cambridge Dictionary:

"a set of pages that have been fastened together inside a cover to be read or written in"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... glish/book

:reading:

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
Aloka wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:51 am
confusedlayman wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:38 am

Is English not your first language?

Here's a definition of "book" from the Cambridge Dictionary:

"a set of pages that have been fastened together inside a cover to be read or written in"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... glish/book

:reading: