Foundations of Human Life - A road to Nirvana for the West

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
confusedlayman

Re: Foundations of Human Life - A road to Nirvana for the West

Post by confusedlayman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 am

PeterC86 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 pm
Greetings to you all,

I just joined this forum and I recently attained Nirvana. I worked my way through various texts about buddhism (books, sutra's) which were quite frustrating for me to read as (A) none of them described the path fully in a clear and rational way, (B) most of the texts were in a format I was not familiar with, (C) I wasn't used to the writing style and use of old language.

This body came to form in the Netherlands, were I went to university. Most of the books and texts I have read used a rational and expository approach. So this mind is conditioned to read texts with a rational line of reasoning and I assume that a lot of people from the 'West' are conditioned in this way.

So, for me to understand the Sutra's, which have a lot of dialogue, was more time-consuming and frustrating then actually understanding the path. During my journey I took notes to help me figure out the pointers of the texts I have read and I used it to keep track of my own understanding of the path and reality. I ended up with a lot of notes, which explained the whole path in detail from a rational perspective. I reworked the notes in a way that they formed a readable manual on how to reach Nirvana for rational thinking people from the 'West.'

The manual might help people with a 'Western' rational thinking mind, who are interested in Buddhism but who are also struggling, as I did, to understand texts about the path. These people might struggle because they are not familiar with the format used, are not familiar with the writing style (lot of metaphors and stories), have trouble to understand old language use, experience a lack of depth and detail in the texts due to writers not fully understanding the path and reality and therefore not able to explain them in a clear, correct and understandable way.

I'd like to share this manual with you guys, so that it may serve to help people on the path and maybe someone will offer feedback on how to improve the manual or to fix errors. I am not doing this for any personal gain. The website I refer to has no advertisements, banners, malware, etc.. I am also not interested to gain a following, as the website only contains texts. There is no forum on the website and my name is not visible anywhere. My only purpose is to share knowledge in order to help people on the path. The link to the manual is; https://foundationsofhumanlife.com

Thanks in advance for your responses. Sharing is caring.
Hi peter,

Can u explain me depended origination in simple and easy way? Your website is not opening. I think you are updating it. In dependent origination of real death, what goes to next life? Thanks and explain me even if its complex.
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:28 am

confusedlayman wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 am
Your website is not opening. I think you are updating it.
He has published a book and closed the website:
PeterC86 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:13 am
I decided to publish my writings as an e-book, that is why the website is offline. I improved the flow in the writings by keeping it really concise, and I also improved upon the explanations. The book is already available on Amazon and will be on Kobo in the next few days.

I really want to help people understand Buddhism. Why do you ask money for the book than? Because I need to make a living. Can you not make a living without this book? I can, but I have considerably less time available to help other people. Why not simply go into a monastery? I might do that in the future, but before I can teach other people in the monastery, I first have to get ordained, which takes up many years of my time, and I already know how and what to teach.

Greetings Peter Cordes
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:28 am

He has published a book and closed the website:
I've put the book up for free at Kobo, for the time being. You can read it using their App (which is also free) or website. The title of the book is; 'On Your Way Home'. The book is only 47 pages long, so its a short read.

Am I allowed to post a link here?

Feedback is welcome.

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:37 pm

PeterC86 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:59 pm
Am I allowed to post a link here?
Certainly.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:37 pm
Certainly.
Thanks for your response.
confusedlayman wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 am
Hi peter,

Can u explain me depended origination in simple and easy way? Your website is not opening. I think you are updating it. In dependent origination of real death, what goes to next life? Thanks and explain me even if its complex.
Hello Confusedlayman,

Here is the link to the free book I've written; https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/on-you ... guage=True You can also find it in their App. In the book you will find a complete explanation of dependent origination, in the simplest way I was able to write it down. If you've fully understood it, you've attained Nirvana. But don't expect to fully understand it by only reading an explanation, its not that easy.

In order to understand it, you have to contemplate and reflect upon the explanation in your own experience. Then you will soon find out that the explanation does not coincide with your convictions and worldview, this will lead to confusion, mental tensions or discomfort. There are two main ways to deal with this confusion or tension; (1) you refute the explanation using any means you see fit, or (2) you try to concentrate to figure out what is right. If you go for option 2, you've started on the Buddhist path.

The more you are able to concentrate, the more you are able to perceive what is actually happening. In your experience you will find understanding, its there where you are able to perceive the nature of things. The more you progress, the more subtle the differences become. The more you are able to concentrate, the less confusion and discomfort you will feel in your mind. So the beginning is the hardest.

I might add the above to the preface, it seems important to know.

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:48 pm

PeterC86 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:53 pm
In the book you will find a complete explanation of dependent origination, in the simplest way I was able to write it down. If you've fully understood it, you've attained Nirvana.
That made me laugh. But don't bother ...