The father of mindfulness awaits the end of this life

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
bodom

The father of mindfulness awaits the end of this life

Post by bodom »

At a Buddhist temple outside hue, Vietnam’s onetime capital, 92-year-old Thich Nhat Hanh has come to quietly “transition,” as his disciples put it. The ailing celebrity monk–quoted by Presidents and hailed by Oprah Winfrey as “one of the most influential spiritual leaders of our times”–is refusing medication prescribed after a stroke in 2014. He lies in a villa in the grounds of the 19th century Tu Hieu Pagoda, awaiting liberation from the cyclical nature of existence.

http://time.com/5511729/monk-mindfulness-art-of-dying/
I am forever grateful to Thich Nhat Hanh. He was my introduction to Buddhism and his commentaries on the Satipatthana, Anapanasati and Bhaddekaratta suttas are what lead me to the Theravadan path.

:bow:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Re: The father of mindfulness awaits the end of this life

Post by DNS »

He was a great inspiration to me too. I have visited and practiced at his Deer Park Monastery in San Diego.

bodom

Post by bodom »

DNS wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:08 pm He was a great inspiration to me too. I have visited and practiced at his Deer Park Monastery in San Diego.

Very cool David. There is a TNH sangha that meets here in San Antonio that I would like to check out. Ive recently become interested in his teachings and books again. They are a breath of fresh air.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:candle:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

He has done a great job of propagating Dhamma in the West.
:anjali:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”