Can we only play not work?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Can we only play not work?

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 am Can we only play not work?
You have some "unique" posts and topics sometimes. :D

How would you eat and pay the rent or mortgage? For a very small percentage of people, they could live off of family inheritance I suppose and play all day, but for the rest of us who have no inheritance to acquire, it's lots of hard work to earn a living and pay the bills.
form

Post by form »

In this era, no, unless u have lots of money in the bank.

Very long time ago, when food is everywhere, yes.
Last edited by form on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

it's lots of hard work to earn a living and pay the bills.
How about monks?
Some people play the share market perhaps many people in Las Vegas!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:14 am How about monks?
Monks work, the good ones anyway. They do pastoral duties, practice meditation, study suttas, teach meditation, lead programs, chores around the temple including cleaning, etc. Some even get involved in construction, adding an addition to the temple, building a meditation hall or other structures.
Some people play the share market perhaps many people in Las Vegas!
You mean gambling winnings? Those are very rare. Chronic or addictive gamblers always lose in the long run. They might win a few thousand here and there or even $100,000 but in the long run, they lose it all. The odds of winning a typical lottery contest for a large state or nation is about 300 million to one. And because they earn the money so fast with no idea how to manage the winnings, often times their life gets ruined with divorce, fighting with family and friends that many regret that they even won (you can check out some internet stories on that).
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Monks work, the good ones anyway. They do pastoral duties, practice meditation, study suttas, teach meditation, lead programs, chores around the temple including cleaning, etc. Some even get involved in construction, adding an addition to the temple, building a meditation hall or other structures.
Agree but do they think that as work?
You get tired even when you play.
budo

Post by budo »

As someone who has played without working for several long periods, it really shows you how mundane life is. There's only so many restaurants one can eat at, so many cities one can travel to, so many video games one can play.

After a while everything starts to look the same, copies of one another. It can get very mundane, pointless, and existential.

Eventually one seeks the simple life, neither to work hard nor to play hard, but just living with the least amount of stress.

"Work hard play hard" is for people who are poor and never figure out how pointless sensual desires are.

I would recommend "work very little, play even less".
form

Post by form »

One can try to be a cementry monk in Burma, then he dun hv to work. But if he is not diligent in progress, he will pay the penalty sooner or later.
chownah

Post by chownah »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:32 am
I think I know what you are saying: The difference between work and play is just a state of mind....a fabrication.

I'm an organic farmer. I love it. I go out every day and play. People wonder why I work so hard.
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I'm an organic farmer. I love it. I go out every day and play. People wonder why I work so hard.
Thanks. That is the point I am trying to discuss here.
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

chownah wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:58 am
I think I know what you are saying: The difference between work and play is just a state of mind....a fabrication.

chownah
Thats your full time paid profession?
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

chownah wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:58 am

chownah
What is an organic product ? Where are you living actually if you don't mind asking ?
You always gain by giving
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

chownah wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:58 am [ The difference between work and play is just a state of mind....a fabrication.
chownah
No work, no play -- just kamma. :)
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:27 pm
Thanks. That is the point I am trying to discuss here.
Yes, that is the ideal, if one can swing it. Not everyone likes their jobs though. For many it is a chore they hope to overcome asap.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

budo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:52 am I would recommend "work very little, play even less".
:thumbsup: Another good idea / ideal, for those that can do that. Have a career or business or a way where you can make a living working, but still having lots of time off for practice, pilgrimage, other spiritual activities and less emphasis on play.