Dhamma in Advertising

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
JohnK

Dhamma in Advertising

Post by JohnK »

I was not sure where to start this thread; seemed like I could shoehorn it here by considering "advertising" an "other path" -- way other!
I sometimes see things in ads that make me realize the advertising folks are catching on to some aspects of Dhamma.
The one I saw recently was a slogan on the side of a Coca-Cola truck.
"TASTE THE FEELING."
I bet they interviewed enough consumers to realize that it was really the pleasant vedana that triggered the "underlying tendency" to grasp a coke -- not the taste "per se," but the feeling it brings about that keeps the sales going.
"Oh, what a feeling" -- I think that's Toyota.
Yes, ads are based on creating craving, but sometimes something really jumps out.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Dhamma in Advertising

Post by DNS »

State Farm commercial where one of the actors states something like:
I've never gone to the bathroom, not once.
Aaron Rodgers (football player): how does that work?
I meditate and make it all go away.

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Seen outside a Starbucks:
"Indulge Your Craving"
(and apparently "Become" a Starbucks customer).
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
robertk

Post by robertk »

Life is short. Stay awake for it.
Caribou coffee.
chownah

Post by chownah »

chownah
chownah

Post by chownah »

Not exactly on topic but close enough I hope:

Samsara banks $100M at a $3.6B valuation for its internet-connected sensors
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/28/samsa ... yptr=yahoo
chownah
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

When I see the word "craving" come up in advertising, it gets my attention.
Here is a quote from a ski area's report of this morning's conditions (note: "to carve" refers to the metal edges of skis carving into the packed snow of the machine-groomed slopes):
For those of you looking to satisfy the craving to carve, we won't let you starve. We're serving up a smorgasboard of snow covered slopes that are guaranteed to deliver precisely what you need.
I could not help but notice the use of the word "starve," as upadana (the necessary follow-up to craving) is sometimes translated as clinging/feeding. The ad nudges you along the steps of DO to "become" a customer. "Guaranteed to deliver" promises no uncertainty/inconstancy. And of course it is something you "need" -- or you might starve!
I suppose every ad can be seen as an ad for ignorance and samsara, but some are more blatant than others.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

There is a Jack in the Box commercial where there is a "Craving Patrol" in a police type vehicle which comes and delivers JITB whenever someone craves their food. Laughed pretty hard when I first saw that one. That's our society for you! Craving must be satiated!
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:40 pm There is a Jack in the Box commercial where there is a "Craving Patrol" in a police type vehicle which comes and delivers JITB whenever someone craves their food. Laughed pretty hard when I first saw that one. That's our society for you! Craving must be satiated!
"Craving Patrol" -- I like it -- that would be a good sign on the UPS and FedEx trucks that seem to be making the rounds more and more.
On the practice-side, I can imagine the internal "craving patrol" -- "Alright, up against the wall, you underlying tendency!"