Maraṇasati in non-buddhist literature

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Volo

Maraṇasati in non-buddhist literature

Post by Volo »

Dear forum,

I'm looking for recommendations on books (both fiction and non-fiction) about death and psychological and physical phenomena around it, but with as little as possible (preferably non at all) religious/philosophical issues. Good if the book gives a sense of urgency.

To give a better impression of what I'm looking for: I have read so far (and can recommend):
1. Tolstoy "Death of Ivan Ilyich": a brilliant and vivid account of death in its many aspects: inevitability, loneliness, pain, despair, realization how the whole life was wasted for nothing etc, etc.
2. S. Nuland "How we die": written by a doctor, gives an accurate description of what actually happens during the death due to the most common causes: cancer, heart attack, suicide, murder, old age, etc.

Any other suggestions?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Maraṇasati in non-buddhist literature

Post by Sam Vara »

Mary Roach wrote a book called "Stiff", about the physical aspects of bodies after death. The chemical processes of decomposition and putrefaction, the uses of dead bodies in research, dissection, etc., and our treatment of the corpses in funeral homes. Very readable and wryly humorous.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

I don't have a title suggestion but i know it was heavily practiced in Roman Catholicism in medieval times. They also built all those crazy, uhm, that;
the practice of Memento mori (Latin: "remember (that) you will die")[2] is the medieval Latin Christian theory and practice of reflection on mortality, especially as a means of considering the vanity of earthly life and the transient nature of all earthly goods and pursuits. It is related to the ars moriendi ("The Art of Dying") and similar Western literature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_mori
afaik monks and nuns used to greet eachother with something like "remember u will die brother/sister"
Volo

Post by Volo »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm Mary Roach wrote a book called "Stiff", about the physical aspects of bodies after death. The chemical processes of decomposition and putrefaction, the uses of dead bodies in research, dissection, etc., and our treatment of the corpses in funeral homes. Very readable and wryly humorous.
Thanks! I've heard about this book, but now will look closer into it.
Volo

Post by Volo »

User1249x wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:59 pm I don't have a title suggestion but i know it was heavily practiced in Roman Catholicism in medieval times. They also built all those crazy, uhm, that;
Thanks! I haven't thought in this direction. Considering how important it was for them they must have produced something readable and with sense of urgency. I will look into it.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

This monk is dead to the world:
His vestments hide his body, replaced as it is with outward symbols of the instruments of the passion, the devices used to kill Jesus.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Zom

Post by Zom »

This monk is dead to the world
Is it him in the background? 8-)

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

I wanted to respond to you, Zom, but I was unsure of how to do so politely.

The clip you shared of orthodox Eastern Europe reminded me of accounts of naked śramaṇa, like Kassapa as attested to in SN41.9, and ascetics to acted like dogs, attested to in sources like DN 24, who sometimes apparently "die of flatulence", my favourite EBT quote.

I mean this in reference to the man on all-fours in the video clip that you shared.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.