Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Locked
Manopubbangama
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by Manopubbangama » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:30 pm

It seems that before we assume that the story of Angulimala and the Thuggees were somehow "exaggerations" we should look to the news of today.

Human sacrifice is alive (at least the priests performing the deed are) and well today in Hinduism:


https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39176570

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/ ... heobserver

Personally, I'm not in the the 'coexist' bumper sticker philosophy; I chose Buddhism for Sila, as well as Samadhi.
"They too, beholding the Buddha — Kinsman of the sun, mighty and fearless — salute him from afar: 'Homage to thee, who art unique among mankind; glory to thee, the highest among men.' - DN 32

SarathW
Posts: 10514
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by SarathW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Sacrificing animals is a common thing in India.
It is easy to fall to the next level of sacrifice "the human".
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5017
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 am

Manopubbangama wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:30 pm
It seems that before we assume that the story of Angulimala and the Thuggees were somehow "exaggerations" we should look to the news of today.

Human sacrifice is alive (at least the priests performing the deed are) and well today in Hinduism:


https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39176570
There's nothing in this story to connect it to Hinduism.
The "priests" in this case are not strictly Hindu either:
The Guardian wrote:The killings have focused attention on Tantrism, an amalgam of mystical practices that grew out of Hinduism. Tantrism also has adherents among Buddhists and Muslims and, increasingly, in the West, where it is associated with yoga or sexual techniques. It has millions of followers across India, where it originated between the fifth and ninth centuries. Tantrik priests are consulted on everything from marital to bowel problems.
And it's worth noting that the human sacrifices are desperate actions of the very poorest and least educated people, at the behest of "priests" who are nearly witch-doctors.
Manopubbangama wrote: Personally, I'm not in the the 'coexist' bumper sticker philosophy; I chose Buddhism for Sila, as well as Samadhi.
An important part of Sila is Right Speech. Perhaps you should look it up?

:namaste:
Kim

Manopubbangama
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by Manopubbangama » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Kim OHara wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 am
Manopubbangama wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:30 pm
It seems that before we assume that the story of Angulimala and the Thuggees were somehow "exaggerations" we should look to the news of today.

Human sacrifice is alive (at least the priests performing the deed are) and well today in Hinduism:


https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39176570
There's nothing in this story to connect it to Hinduism.
The "priests" in this case are not strictly Hindu either:
The Guardian wrote:The killings have focused attention on Tantrism, an amalgam of mystical practices that grew out of Hinduism. Tantrism also has adherents among Buddhists and Muslims and, increasingly, in the West, where it is associated with yoga or sexual techniques. It has millions of followers across India, where it originated between the fifth and ninth centuries. Tantrik priests are consulted on everything from marital to bowel problems.
And it's worth noting that the human sacrifices are desperate actions of the very poorest and least educated people, at the behest of "priests" who are nearly witch-doctors.
Manopubbangama wrote: Personally, I'm not in the the 'coexist' bumper sticker philosophy; I chose Buddhism for Sila, as well as Samadhi.
An important part of Sila is Right Speech. Perhaps you should look it up?

:namaste:
Kim
There is plenty to connect it to Hinduism, as the worshippers of Kali, the Hindu goddess are the main practitioners: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/ ... heobserver

This is pretty well established.

Regarding Right Speech, thanks for your help with edification, where have I erred exactly?

Please be specific.
"They too, beholding the Buddha — Kinsman of the sun, mighty and fearless — salute him from afar: 'Homage to thee, who art unique among mankind; glory to thee, the highest among men.' - DN 32

Manopubbangama
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by Manopubbangama » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:47 pm

SarathW wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:51 pm
Sacrificing animals is a common thing in India.
It is easy to fall to the next level of sacrifice "the human".
And its a very slippery slope.

A few bad harvests and we could be seeing a sequel to Apocalypto.

I hope those poor babies can be saved from this form of wrong view.
"They too, beholding the Buddha — Kinsman of the sun, mighty and fearless — salute him from afar: 'Homage to thee, who art unique among mankind; glory to thee, the highest among men.' - DN 32

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5017
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 pm

Manopubbangama wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:37 pm
Kim OHara wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 am
Manopubbangama wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:30 pm
It seems that before we assume that the story of Angulimala and the Thuggees were somehow "exaggerations" we should look to the news of today.

Human sacrifice is alive (at least the priests performing the deed are) and well today in Hinduism:


https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39176570
There's nothing in this story to connect it to Hinduism.
The "priests" in this case are not strictly Hindu either:
The Guardian wrote:The killings have focused attention on Tantrism, an amalgam of mystical practices that grew out of Hinduism. Tantrism also has adherents among Buddhists and Muslims and, increasingly, in the West, where it is associated with yoga or sexual techniques. It has millions of followers across India, where it originated between the fifth and ninth centuries. Tantrik priests are consulted on everything from marital to bowel problems.
And it's worth noting that the human sacrifices are desperate actions of the very poorest and least educated people, at the behest of "priests" who are nearly witch-doctors.
Manopubbangama wrote: Personally, I'm not in the the 'coexist' bumper sticker philosophy; I chose Buddhism for Sila, as well as Samadhi.
An important part of Sila is Right Speech. Perhaps you should look it up?

:namaste:
Kim
There is plenty to connect it to Hinduism, as the worshippers of Kali, the Hindu goddess are the main practitioners: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/ ... heobserver
That does not make it a normal Hindu practice, or even an approved part of the religion. For instance, the worshippers of Jesus, the Christian godling, are the main practitioners of the barbaric sport of fox-hunting. Other groups of his worshippers meet as members of the KKK. :thinking:
...
Regarding Right Speech, thanks for your help with edification, where have I erred exactly?

Please be specific.
You have disparaged Hinduism and (by extension) all Hindus for practices which are not representative of the religion.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2 says:
2. Speech

Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended to cause disruption or harm may be removed without notice. This includes, but is not restricted to:
a. Nasty speech...
d. Unsubstantiated allegations against individuals or traditions - including psychoanalyzing other members, and predictions or threats of kammic retribution...
f. Personal attacks, including the vilification of individuals based on any attributes - whether related to their personal attributes (e.g. gender, nationality, sexuality, race, age)...
You might like to compare your post with these guidelines, too - https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... amma-vaca/

:namaste:
Kim

Manopubbangama
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by Manopubbangama » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:36 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 pm
Manopubbangama wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:37 pm
Kim OHara wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 am

There's nothing in this story to connect it to Hinduism.
The "priests" in this case are not strictly Hindu either:

And it's worth noting that the human sacrifices are desperate actions of the very poorest and least educated people, at the behest of "priests" who are nearly witch-doctors.

An important part of Sila is Right Speech. Perhaps you should look it up?

:namaste:
Kim
There is plenty to connect it to Hinduism, as the worshippers of Kali, the Hindu goddess are the main practitioners: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/ ... heobserver
That does not make it a normal Hindu practice, or even an approved part of the religion. For instance, the worshippers of Jesus, the Christian godling, are the main practitioners of the barbaric sport of fox-hunting. Other groups of his worshippers meet as members of the KKK. :thinking:
...
Regarding Right Speech, thanks for your help with edification, where have I erred exactly?

Please be specific.
You have disparaged Hinduism and (by extension) all Hindus for practices which are not representative of the religion.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2 says:
2. Speech

Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended to cause disruption or harm may be removed without notice. This includes, but is not restricted to:
a. Nasty speech...
d. Unsubstantiated allegations against individuals or traditions - including psychoanalyzing other members, and predictions or threats of kammic retribution...
f. Personal attacks, including the vilification of individuals based on any attributes - whether related to their personal attributes (e.g. gender, nationality, sexuality, race, age)...
You might like to compare your post with these guidelines, too - https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... amma-vaca/

:namaste:
Kim
I'm sorry you feel that way but you are factually incorrect.

Human sacrifice is a widely attested fact in Hinduism and has been for over 2500 years. With Sati, the Thuggees, the Kali worshippers, etc.

The facts speak for themselves.

I made no unsubstantiated allegations, I'm pointing out substantiated facts.

This is murder, pure and simple.

The more it is brought out into the light, the more hope there is to stop it.
"They too, beholding the Buddha — Kinsman of the sun, mighty and fearless — salute him from afar: 'Homage to thee, who art unique among mankind; glory to thee, the highest among men.' - DN 32

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5017
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:50 am

Manopubbangama wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:36 am
I'm sorry you feel that way but you are factually incorrect.
No, I'm not - but I am fairly sure you did not read my posts carefully enough.
I did not deny that these things may have happened. In fact, I think they probably did happen.
What I said was that these things are not typical of Hinduism and you should not condemn the whole religion and all of its followers because of them.

Human sacrifice is a widely attested fact in Hinduism and has been for over 2500 years. With Sati, the Thuggees, the Kali worshippers, etc.
Mostly a long time ago. You should not suggest that it is still "normal".

In this particular case, you say ...
The facts speak for themselves.

I made no unsubstantiated allegations, I'm pointing out substantiated facts.

This is murder, pure and simple.

The more it is brought out into the light, the more hope there is to stop it.
... and I agree, although I do not blame it on Hinduism, as you do. I blame it on poverty, ignorance, illiteracy, desperation and a long history of primitive "magical thinking" religious practices.

:namaste:
Kim

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 20169
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Human Sacrifice in Hinduism

Post by retrofuturist » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:11 am

Greetings,

There is no "connections to other paths" here... there is simply something done elsewhere, that is not done in Buddhism.

As such, this topic will be closed.

If you want to discuss Hinduism, please try Dharma Paths.

Thank you.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Freddie and 69 guests