Enquiry about UBNU United Buddhist Nations University of organization UBNO

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
andreas91

Enquiry about UBNU United Buddhist Nations University of organization UBNO

Post by andreas91 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 am

I am Andy, 36 year old born and brought up in USA currently based in California. I am in the field of marketing and have been traveling around America for the same.
I am interested in studying Zen. I researched online for Zen organizations & found UBNO United Buddhist Nations Organization based from Buenos Aires and its UBNU United Buddhist Nations University, headquartered in Japan,

Both organization and University is headed by an Argentinian Rector Master Maitreya Samyaksambuddha.

Does anyone know of this university and its Rector? Are these courses recognized by Buddhist fraternity? Is UBNU internationally acredited by any known body? Has anyone got a certificate from them for display?

I want to enroll in courses they offer like
Doctor of Buddhist Zen, Buddhist Doctor in meditation, Buddhist Doctor in Theravada, PhD in Integral Buddhism, Buddhist Doctor in Religion, Buddhist Doctor in Ethics.

JamesTheGiant

Re: Enquiry about UBNU United Buddhist Nations University of organization UBNO

Post by JamesTheGiant » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:38 pm

This organisation is not genuine. Stay away from it.
This is what NotSoMaverick said about it
totally hoax, Have visited this place - Its a one room table space in a commercial tower. Has not legal standing at all. This is created in 2017 by some Argentine with the sole purpose of running cases on people and scaring them using a fake -gov website address. Look up some of the cases on line and you will see not only are they absurd but totally anti thesis to buddha's teachings.

Calling oneself samyak sambuddha is proof enough :) Adding H.E. to it closes the case.

It is a private organisation with not legal standing.

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Also, a few more things..
The main university email is a free Hotmail address.
Their website is made with Wordpress. I use wordpress for posting pictures of my hiking trips and cute cats... a university does not use wordpress for their website.
And in their schedule of fees it says you can pay $9,900 and recieve 20 doctorates, that's 20 PhDs.

Lunacy!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Sounds like a diploma mill, as James noted, best to stay away. It appears you just pay a fee and get a doctorate; not accredited in any way. People who have used diploma mill degrees have been known to get fired from their employment when it is discovered, that is, if they get hired in the first place.

The website uses -gov in their name but note that it is not dot gov as it ends in dot net. Universities typically have dot edu extensions.

nelisjan

Post by nelisjan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:22 pm

:tantrum: Oh no! I almost signed up for one of their programs of Buddhist Doctor in Theravada. I was interested in improving my understanding of Sila and thus came upon this. I was confused by the man/woman who was trying to convince me to sign up. He/they kept promising me more discounts if I enrolled more students into the fold :juggling: And from that same free hotmail address, each time a different person would respond with one more majestic and megalomaniac sounding title :spy:
But hey! what do I know? To me this seemed not only like marketing and sales but I'd say the whole United Buddhist Nations University; UBNU or is it UBNO, Master Maitreya Samyaksambuddha is more like a scary con job :stirthepot:
Be aware fellow seekers of this Maitriyana Buddhist Community and all their supposed institutional members! Luckily for me, I think the pannya I've developed helped me steer clear. In fact in retrospect, I'm happy that through their website I now have a handy reference of organizations and people to avoid.