Can I become Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King or Gandhi?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I just wonder whether becoming an Arahant is something similar to try to become one of your admired heroes.
Many of us like to read the biography of those people and sometimes we try to imitate them.
There are some people who became successful by doing this.
Isn't following Buddha is similar to follow the footsteps of our heroes?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Re: Can I become Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King or Gandhi?

Post by DooDoot »

Idappaccayata wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:33 am The op was asking about the relationship between arahantship and famous figures...
The OP was referring to imitate them or "becoming" them. Thus, the more we know about them, the better; which includes the Buddha. Same with Obama. Best to avoid the mythology.

Regards :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
budo

Post by budo »

SarathW,

You don't need to over-complicate. The Buddha said that all who become enlightened must understand, abandon, realize and develop the 4 noble truths, and overcome the 5 hindrances. He said that you should meditate continuously and exert effort with the four noble truths, five hindrances, five aggregates, and sixfold sense media in mind.

As long as you enter the stream and work on those things, everything else will fall into place.

Think about actions and steps, not about outcomes and status.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Moderator note: Please restrict posts to those which specifically answer SarathW's point. Political material which directly criticises the specified and other leaders without a specific link to Dhamma will be removed.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am Isn't following Buddha is similar to follow the footsteps of our heroes?
Sure, why not?

If you're Buddhist, try and be more Buddha-like.
If you're a Christian, try and be more Christ-like.
If you're a Taoist, etc.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,

"Becoming" (bhava) is the sure fire way not to be an arahant!

It's fine to follow and take inspiration and direction from historical figures (Buddhist or otherwise) but don't lose fact of the Dhammic truth that arahantship is the cessation of becoming.

It is about less becoming, rather than more.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

So you cant become an Arahant!
I think we still can become an Anagami.
:thinking:
chownah

Post by chownah »

SarathW wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 am So you cant become an Arahant!
I think we still can become an Anagami.
:thinking:
Don't confuse the commonly used meaning for 'becoming' and the dhamma meaning of 'becoming'.
In the dhammic sense, 'becoming' anything is part of the process which results in dukkha......it is therefore incompatible with he end of suffering which is what 'arahant' is all about.

I think that in the dhammic sense 'arahant' is only applied to individuals as a conventional way of speaking about things......saying that someone was an arahant is just a way to talk about that individual and to describe something about that individual....this is conventional speech which is used because if you don't use that kind of conventional speech then the vast bulk of people will not understand what you are talking about. Perhaps a good way to think is that 'enlightenment there is but no one who is enlightened' which means that when there is enlightenment there is no identity view....and 'arahant' is taken by the vast bulk of people as identity view.
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

when there is enlightenment there is no identity view
Identity view is eliminated by the Sotapanna.
Self identity (conceit or mana) is eradicated by an Arahant.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:16 pm Moderator note: Please restrict posts to those which specifically answer SarathW's point. Political material which directly criticises the specified and other leaders without a specific link to Dhamma will be removed.
When did this become a rule?
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:33 am
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:16 pm Moderator note: Please restrict posts to those which specifically answer SarathW's point. Political material which directly criticises the specified and other leaders without a specific link to Dhamma will be removed.
When did this become a rule?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32021

:anjali:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:33 am viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32021
If that is the case, probably the whole thread should be moved to the other (Greenies) website or even to the Mahayana site.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:29 am
If that is the case, probably the whole thread should be moved to the other (Greenies) website or even to the Mahayana site.
Not really.
See Retro's answer to my question.
This is an indirect question about Buddha's teaching.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 am This is an indirect question about Buddha's teaching.
OK. Such as this thread I started: viewtopic.php?t=32844 :smile:

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:29 am
No, I don't think so. It's perfectly possible to answer SarathW's original question without getting polemical or even partisan regarding the heroes he lists.