Atlantis

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cappuccino

Atlantis

Post by cappuccino »

Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Atlantis

Post by Sam Vara »

I gave it 3 minutes, but there was no mention of a link to Theravadan Buddhism. Does one get outlined later in the video?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

:smile: I watched it all.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:53 pm :smile: I watched it all.
Any Theravada? :shrug:
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

just Atlantis
Coaching
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

This thread is Connections to Other Paths on so many levels.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Not Buddhist, but really provocative. This vid has been sitting on my recommended list for a while but I never got around to watching it until now.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:54 pm This thread is Connections to Other Paths on so many levels.
I think it's a natural Lounge topic but the DWT Lounge has gone the way of Atlantis.
:spy:
There's always DWE. :tongue:

:juggling:
Kim
chownah

Post by chownah »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:54 pm This thread is Connections to Other Paths on so many levels.
Indeed. Plato asserted that the story of atlantis was true and that should be enough to quiet skeptical minds....after all, plato, having lived near the mouth of the cave but not being limited to its confines, had escaped the delusions of the cave although he had perhaps not yet reached full awareness of the real actions whose shadow so enthrall the mass of cave dwelling humanity.
chownah
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:41 pmAny Theravada? :shrug:
Cause & effect (idappaccayatā) and impermanence (anicca). :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DooDoot wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:47 am
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:41 pmAny Theravada? :shrug:
Cause & effect (idappaccayatā) and impermanence (anicca). :smile:
I was hoping that big round thingie in the desert might be a massive diagram explaining paticcasamuppada, but alas...
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

For many generations, as long as the divine nature lasted in them, they were obedient to the laws, and well-affectioned towards the god, whose seed they were; for they possessed true and in every way great spirits, uniting gentleness with wisdom in the various chances of life, and in their intercourse with one another. They despised everything but virtue, caring little for their present state of life, and thinking lightly of the possession of gold and other property, which seemed only a burden to them; neither were they intoxicated by luxury; nor did wealth deprive them of their self-control; but they were sober, and saw clearly that all these goods are increased by virtue and friendship with one another, whereas by too great regard and respect for them, they are lost and friendship with them. By such reflections and by the continuance in them of a divine nature, the qualities which we have described grew and increased among them; but when the divine portion began to fade away, and became diluted too often and too much with the mortal admixture, and the human nature got the upper hand, they then, being unable to bear their fortune, behaved unseemly, and to him who had an eye to see grew visibly debased, for they were losing the fairest of their precious gifts; but to those who had no eye to see the true happiness, they appeared glorious and blessed at the very time when they were full of avarice and unrighteous power. Zeus, the god of gods, who rules according to law, and is able to see into such things, perceiving that an honourable race was in a woeful plight, and wanting to inflict punishment on them, that they might be chastened and improve, collected all the gods into their most holy habitation, which, being placed in the centre of the world, beholds all created things. And when he had called them together, he spake as follows-* The rest of the Dialogue of Critias has been lost.

Critias By Plato
Coaching