Signs of Kali Yuga

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Signs of Kali Yuga

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

markandeya,

I am no authority and you do not need to wait for me to discuss your insights into whatever.

Simply start a new thread in this Connections forum and type away.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Yet all is not dark in Kali Yuga for those who forth just a little aspiration toward virtue.

As the Great One Vyasa explains in the Vishnu Purana, book 6, ch. 2:
We [Munis] heard you say, 'Excellent is the Kali age!
Well done, Súdra! Well done, women!'
Now we are desirous to know why this was said, why you called
them repeatedly, happy. Tell us the meaning of it, if it be not a mystery...

Being thus addressed by the Munis, Vyása smiled, and said to them, "Hear, excellent
sages, why I uttered the words 'Well done, well done.' The fruit of penance, of
continence, of silent prayer, and the like, practised in the Krita age for ten years, in the
Treta for one year, in the Dwápara for a month, is obtained in the Kali age in a day and
night: therefore did I exclaim, 'Excellent, excellent, is the Kali age!' That reward which a
man obtains in the Krita by abstract meditation, in the Treta by sacrifice, in the Dwápara
by adoration, he receives in the Kali by merely reciting the name of Kesava [Vishnu or Krishna].
In the Kali age a man displays the most exalted virtue by very little exertion; therefore,
pious sages, who know what virtue is, I was pleased with the Kali age...

In truth, in the Kali age duty is discharged with very little trouble by mortals,
whose faults are all washed away by the water of their individual merits...
Therefore, Brahmans, did I thrice express my admiration of their happiness; for in the
Krita and other ages great were the toils of the regenerate to perform their duty.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Will wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:37 pm markandeya,

I am no authority and you do not need to wait for me to discuss your insights into whatever.

Simply start a new thread in this Connections forum and type away.
Hi Will

Why would I need to start a new thread when you have already started a thread on Kali yuga and I was trying to explain that the modern translations on Kali Yuga as linear timelines are incorrect and misleading, which have a negative effect and have caused so much grief even to this day, which is effecting peoples lives, due to the class system being pushed on varna's, for a better understanding of Varnas you can read the conversations between Maharaja Yudisthira and Bheesma in mahabharata, but you may need the help of someone from the actual tradition, Bheesma is describing the varnas as qualities that exist within one jiva to Yudhistira who is an expansion of dharma, not as separated different jivas~individuals, this is also backed up in some of the suttas that I have read in pali traditions, and more importantly being used to push forecasting agendas and to dis-empower people, what is the impact if everything thinks that we are living in age of doom and its slowly going to get worse and worse. If you can provide the Sanskrit texts to accompany them and back up your statements then it would serve the purpose of your post much better and will give readers a better information on what Kali yuga is ie outward going senses consciousness. If we go by the older translations which are degenerating the Vedas and Buddhism and causing mass divisions, held up by literalists and self affirmationists, there is no discussion to be had, and since your confidently posting and dismissing anything else as speculative you should then quote from the original Sanskrit rather than just accept literal poor translations, which is all your doing. For example the way to understand the kalki purana as per oral traditions is when sense consciousness is ending kalki avatar is destroying all the effects sense consciousness within the mind stream. They are much more esoteric or subtle in meaning. To think that Vishnu comes down to earth on a white horse killing and destroying degraded human lifeforms is laughable but also tragic.

The below quotes on Vishnu Purana is again out of context, if the true context which I have already given in brief is not accepted then it impossible to be discussed on what the meaning is. Kali Yuga is outward going sense consciousness, which causes uncertainly and instability if not engaged in spiritual practice. From my previous posts you have not addressed any of my comments as you deemed them speculative so the earnest is on you to back up your theory, so there is no point me saying much because you have such a dismissive attitude.

But if your comfortable in misleading people so be it, many are so your not alone. I mean if we go by some of the translations the rishis were predicting Cars :) thats how ridiculous some of the translations are and does not even come close to describing the omniscience of the rishis.

Anyways, there is a lot of works now being re-translated and maybe not in our lifetimes will all the wrongs be put right and when they are surfacing they even do not make it into the public domain or they are rubbished by monotheistic materialists which is what you are representing, maybe unconsciously maybe not, so they are preserved and will always be preserved in oral traditions that has 4, levels of speech one being worldly and not connected to growth and sublte refining of the the lower states. Personally I dont need to rely on translations and I dont know every single reference from all the puranas, so if you bring something up that your so sure of and its coming the puranas lets take a look at the direct Sanskrit and we can take it from there.

इन्द्रं मित्रं वरुणमग्निमाहुरथो दिव्यः स सुपर्णो गरुत्मान |
indraṃ mitraṃ varuṇamaghnimāhuratho divyaḥ sa suparṇo gharutmān |
45 Speech hath been measured out in four divisions, the Brahmans who have understanding know them.
एकं सद विप्रा बहुधा वदन्त्यग्निं यमं मातरिश्वानमाहुः ||
ekaṃ sad viprā bahudhā vadantyaghniṃ yamaṃ mātariśvānamāhuḥ ||
Three kept in close concealment cause no motion; of speech, men speak only the fourth division. Rig Veda

Unless one understand the very basics of Vedanta which is even this is rare to find outside of the real traditions then it becomes pointless

Majority of the puranas is known as samadhi bhasya, or spoken in states and understood in states of samadhi, so they are always protected.

Ive come to my own conclusions of reading most translations and the only part they get right is the space between each word.

:anjali:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

markandeya,

I am not dismissing you, so go on and tell us what you know and clarify what you wish.

Just recall that this is a public forum, not you & I alone swapping views. Others are here and they deserve to learn from you as much as I.

So carry on - on this thread or any other you like.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Under review as I pressed submit instead of preview :)
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Hi will,

i am posting to stimulate a new type of research and to voice that most of the current translations and what you are using are out of date and was more to do with something sinister rather than even a genuine novice attempt to translate an ancient culture. For insights into translations on ancient teachings Maha Siddha Sri Aurobindo are very good.

i may just add somethings in parts from what little I know and have learned along the way, and to try to fit it into a Vedantic and dharma context which doesn't rely on any form of intellectual adjustment, these are not intellectual sciences, im not asking for it to be accepted but to be thought about and individual research. And due to it being a lost science or even a hidden science its impossible to give anyone one source, there a few reason for this but the main one is that each jiva or individual has unique cycles as unique as a finger print so it can never be a fully objective science in what we would consider empirical objectivity, and any one source will not be complete, we have to approach this with a lot of humility and re learn this in traditional/ancient ways because this is beyond our normal perceptions and modern science cant cope with these measurements, as its a full understanding of maya ( further clarification is needed on what is maya or mAyA, to say mAyA is an illusion is misleading, basic translation of mAyA just means phenomenon both gross and subtle that can be measured mA means measurements and yA is an appearance, anything that can be measured is mAyA, there is no such thing as illusion, only super impositions in perceptions, we could say these are mind sciences seen from a first person perspective, not empirical and objective ones) with the clarity of an enlightened or transcendent mind, but the translations that you use, and sorry to be a pain have to be dismissed for some of the reasons I have stated previously, I have read equally bad translations from the pali traditions. The only people I have met who are in India and hard to reach and not wanting to sound elusive remain only in oral traditions which simple cant be translated into English only conscious understanding, I can only share a portion and or the jist of it of it but hopefully enough to know to reject most theories on the yugas and the translations on time, which is an expansion of Brahman, due to Brahman not being able to be translated it has to expand and mix with mAyA, how Brahma expands through the cosmos or the individual jivas cosmology is kala and not the external formation and science of time as studied by empirical science, in Mahayana expansion brahma as time would be the Bodhisattva, which is descending not ascending. It starts and and ends with mindfulness or satipatthana and the completion or union of conscious compounds~samadhi.

I do not hold all the answers and this topic and the understanding of time as per the ancient traditions both Buddhist and Vedanta is heavily under review. And this is an intense subject but something that interests many people both within the Buddhist world and elsewhere and is at the heart of dharma cosmology.

i have only given some basic outlines and used more of a negative approach and given some basic form relating the yugas with the Avasthas or 3 states of being and transcendence in the previous posts, because first of all the idea that they are linear times has to be and has been disproved even if not fully clear yet or accepted. Mostly I have learned through discussion in real life, practice and experience, as this is an oral tradition a living tradition based on 4 levels of sound or speech. To get the depths of it one would need to be enlightened as yugas start individually on the micro level or the smallest particle of matter , in pali traditions and abhidharma this unit or the first principle of matter is the suddhastika or the first materiel element of eight parts, which according to the measurements of abhidharma is approximately 1 billionth the size of an atom and only a buddha or fully awakened person can see it. As a starting link try here. http://puredhamma.net/abhidhamma/the-or ... dhashtaka/, Its a good enough article to start with but was a bit disappointed at the end with his examples of Bhutas, maybe he was just trying to make it as simple as possible.

I would also point some towards P.R. Sarkar to get some understanding of his teachings on Microvitum which is the same as suddhastika and its evolution and dissolution, I am not associated with anandamarg or any group and not advertising or promoting anyone, I have one or two very good friends from there but I am extremely impressed with P.R. Sarkar teachings, he has a transcendent brain. To get some of his better teachings you may need to know someone in their group as they only share via permission and I cant give that due to not being part of their group, but without any sectarian mind if you can get some of his teachings they are fantastic and well translated as far as translations goes.

I would not under any circumstances recommend the edited versions of srimad bhagavatm especially the last two cantos of the Srimad Bhagavatam by ISKCON, although in general I have nothing against ISKCON.

There are many translations of the yugas and the timelines the normal translations of the times lines are as follows

1. kṛta or satya - 1 ,728 ,000 years
2. tretā , 1 ,296 ,000 years
3. dvāpara , 864 ,000 years
4. kali 432 ,000 years

None of these times or eaons and kalpas can really be measured by human years, in fact we have no way way to perceive these times lines outside of samadhi states.

Even this is under review but according to many joytish astrologers this is somewhat accurate but again there is no way to validate this due to joytish not being totally understood, again Joytish can only be understood by Self realized person and they are remaining silent and refusing to translate outside of oral traditions or among what would be considered asampradaya or not connected to valid guru lineages, which is very understandable, considering to whats being done with ancient texts.

To really understand the maths on this is extremely complicated and very scientific as so many factors have to be taken into account, like what is a day of BrahmAdeva, and to reach enlightenment on has to experience 100 years of days and nights of BramAdeva (not brahma) , i know some very good Panini Vedantists and they are baffled by some of the calculations by empirical studies and using modern translations on Sanskrit there are to many contradictions. BrahmA days or the 100 days or BrahmA seem to heading closer to states of absorption.

To give a rough idea or basic idea what I am going on about how days of brahmA or how time and experience are measured in transcendent terms

Master Nan Huai Jin explains it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIqlZ6nn268

this is far from an ordinary subject.
I will leave it for now as its enough and will continue a bit later.

the closest thing that I saw online dealing with times in dharma traditions was by a Japanese lay Buddhist, he started in English but then spoke Japanese. I mailed him and asked to start communication with him and would have tried to go and visit him but he didn't reply. I looked again for his videos but they have been taken off youtube a few years ago.

You may have noticed that I am averse to monotheism or more directly Christianity, this is not a bias, i dont come from a religious or an atheistic background I am actually quite neutral to both via the individual of they are sincere and honest , I just know my history, its quite obvious that monotheism is a virus and Atheism is the antidote with severe side effects. But my main aim is to try and help synthesize the dharma traditions and build up and repair ancient ways and traditions and to help with a better understanding of Vedanta which is not opposed or competing or trying to prove any form or ownership or supremacy over Buddha Dharma, both can exist separately but with harmony and unity with the same aim and purpose, to overcome avidya.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Since much of Hinduism barring the Vedantas, Brahma Sutras and Gita is made up of stories and mythology, it makes little sense to argue about them.

They are stories and everyone made a little bit up. Their main purpose was to bring the concept of Nirguna Brahman to masses as Krishna and Shiva and Shakti and other lesser deities.

One of these stories is about Yugas or epochs - how the world was all good once upon a time and humans were 9 meters tall and lived thousands of years and it has decayed since then with the final decay beginning at about 3000 BCE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuga

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_units_of_time

Makes as much sense to argue about it as trying to find the relics of Noah's Arc.

There have been no large scale wars in last 70 years. No nation has used its nuclear arsenal. That is positive.

But at same time we have nearly succeeded in destroying the planet by use of fossil fuel. That is negative.

And we can apply this type of comparison to all periods of known history.

The Yugas are therefore fictitious and metaphorical.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Since much of Hinduism barring the Upanishads/Vedantas, Brahma Sutras, Bhagvad Gita and Yoga Sutras of Patanjali is made up of stories and mythology, it makes little sense to argue about Hindu concept of time.

The Puranas are stories and everyone made a little bit up. Their main purpose was to bring the complex concept of Nirguna Brahman to masses as Krishna and Shiva and Shakti and other lesser deities through story telling.

One of these stories is about Yugas or epochs - how the world was all good once upon a time and humans were 9 meters tall and lived thousands of years and it has decayed since then with the final decay beginning at about 3000 BCE.

But they are metaphorical divisions of time which coexist.

E.g.

There have been no large scale wars in last 70 years. No nation has used its nuclear arsenal. That is positive.

But at same time we have nearly succeeded in destroying the planet by use of fossil fuel. That is negative.

And we can apply this type of comparison to all periods of known history and find good and evil has always coexisted (or rather wisdom and ignorance has always coexisted)

The Yugas are as fictitious and metaphorical as the story of Genesis or Valhalla in Norse mythology. Makes as much sense to argue about it as trying to find the relics of Noah's Arc.

As a side note, I would like to make an observation

If we look at Greece, no one puts Hellenistic philosophy into same basket as Greek mythology. Plato's philosophy is not supposed to be found through worshiping Zeus or Athena. They are in separate compartments of Greek history and culture.

But it happens with Hinduism. Confusion between the two and conflating them and calling the jumbled up mass Hinduism.

To large extent Hindus themselves are to blame (99% Hindus do not have a clue about 0.01% of their religion; something that Indians Sikhs and Muslims find strange and astonishing) and it has not been helped by not very well educated westerners dancing with mridanga (drum) and singing Hare Krishna at street corners.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

No_Mind wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 am Since much of Hinduism barring the Upanishads/Vedantas, Brahma Sutras, Bhagvad Gita and Yoga Sutras of Patanjali is made up of stories and mythology, it makes little sense to argue about Hindu concept of time.

The Puranas are stories and everyone made a little bit up. Their main purpose was to bring the complex concept of Nirguna Brahman to masses as Krishna and Shiva and Shakti and other lesser deities through story telling.

But they are metaphorical divisions of time which coexist.

E.g.

And we can apply this type of comparison to all periods of known history and find good and evil has always coexisted (or rather wisdom and ignorance has always coexisted)

The Yugas are as fictitious and metaphorical as the story of Genesis or Valhalla in Norse mythology. Makes as much sense to argue about it as trying to find the relics of Noah's Arc.

As a side note, I would like to make an observation

If we look at Greece, no one puts Hellenistic philosophy into same basket as Greek mythology. Plato's philosophy is not supposed to be found through worshiping Zeus or Athena. They are in separate compartments of Greek history and culture.

But it happens with Hinduism. Confusion between the two and conflating them and calling the jumbled up mass Hinduism.

To large extent Hindus themselves are to blame (99% Hindus do not have a clue about 0.01% of their religion; something that Indians Sikhs and Muslims find strange and astonishing) and it has not been helped by not very well educated westerners dancing with mridanga (drum) and singing Hare Krishna at street corners.

Hi No Mind,

I agree on most what you say. i will return to this topic later. However I do not agree that the puranas are myths or just simple stories, they are formulated and encoded Vedanta by ved vysa rishi for more simple way to understand vedanta but ultimately nirguna and saguna , shiva shakti are inseparable, what is form is ultimately not different to formlessness, and the stories conceal the Absolute which cannot be two in the stories cantos of the puranas. Modern day Hinduism is the purana form of vedanta with all the forms being worshiped, but if bhakti is present hen success is assured. While I am not born in smarta traditions or initiated into smarta I cant accept this higher or lower way of seeing devas and ultimate Brahman ~ Mahadeva and the catergorization of the texts as higher and lower, thats a bit like saying that watering a seed is not as important as the flower when its grown.

There is no such thing as higher and lower in true adviata, krsna is not above or below shiva, shiva is not above or below ganapati, ganapati is not above or below surya, surya is not above or below krsna and so it continues, this is invention and not even part of original tattva vada or acharya madhava dvaita siddhanta, what to speak about Adi Shankaras Advaita Vedanta. Hinduism is a mess by all these translations, but its getting better, cloud cannot destroy or hide the sun, sun comes out and shows its always been there. But at the same time we have to be careful of the new disease neo advaita which again is just as much a mess as the ISKCONS monotheistic Bhakti. But I like certain parts of ISKCON because they do a lot of good around the world and are more socially active than these solipsistic mundane neo adviats over blown ego's.

Bhagavad Gita is perhaps the best place to start to understand vedanta, but even Gita who some do not consider as shruti which I find amazing as Gita establishes itself as shruti in the first two slokas, i really dont like this categorization or higher and lower shastras and pramanas, this is an invented ladder again from monotheistic influence. There are to many intellectual diseases in modern vedanta if you ask me , which is due to the way that the British started to formulate their education system of empirical learning and apply that the shurti smriti and all aspects of Vedanta, that is why as you say the large percentage of modern days Hindus have misrepresented the puranas and the knowledge base of all Vedanta, but I dont think the percentage is as high as you say, maybe to find a real jnani comes in that percentage which can be found in the whole world as Sri Krsna says in Gita that real jnani are few, he said this a long time ago and the message is sanatana dharma and facts in any era will not change, the real jnani is few, very few, they are the penultimate in the evolution of consciousness in this world. Gotama was true jnani, ultimately to understand these things we have to realized our self, and its better to focus on sadhana and leave the rest to buddha, shiva or krsna to reveal themselves in their own way, then we know without doubt and no books or texts are needed for this, as most texts are recorded from Self realized state, they cant be understood by information collecting faculty of intellect, its totally going in the wrong direction.

But saying all that there is a need to reestablish some clearer understanding of the traditions and wipe out all these poor and corrupted translations, its not a matter of truth or not as whatever idea or translations we have of truth do not effect the ultimate reality~brahma.

I am not sure how anyone can take wikipedia seriously or as an authority for anything, they are partly the main problem when it comes to understand dharma, they are biased.

markandeya

Post by markandeya »

There is a way to organise all teachings of Vedanta and that is via the 3 avasthas or states and transcendence if one wants to study them. It represented in fullness by the syllable OM which is a symbol of jivamukta, liberated being, jiva as brahman or brahman descending into the jiva.

This is the totality of all existence, there are no contradictions in Vedanta althoug some have been included to cause confusion and division.

All areas of conscious life are within the 3 states and transcendence.

Jagrat~sense consciousness, Svapna~mind consciousness, Sushupti~intermediate consciousness and Turiya~absolute consciousness and each stage of consciousness or teaching has to fit into these four, its a code, these system is also included in Theravada as the 3 lokas and lokuttara 3 lokas are karma loka, sense consciousness, rupa loka mind consciousness, arupa loka mindless immaterial consciousness and lokuttara world transcending

in Upanishads these are described as vaishvanara, taijasa, prajna, and turiya

in yugas its kali, dwarpa, treta and satya

ashrams~dwellings

Brahmacari~ control of the mind and senses

Grihasta~ karma yoga outward going activity for welfare of the world with mind and senses in control

Varnaprastha~ middle age wisdom years

Sannyasa~ renunciation or absorption in turiya

Four levels of speech

Vaikhari is the lowest form of sound and it signifies outward expression. This is the spoken word emerging from the our throat. Sense consciousness speech

Madhyama (Middle)is the sound as perceived in the subtle or the Pranic world. A good example of this would be the thought-forms held in our mind. Mind consciousness speech

Pashyanti is the sound vibration heard in the Causal worlds. Pashyanti in Sanskrit means “seeing speech”. A sage whose consciousness is concentrated in the causal body is able to “glimpse” a Truth in a vision or a revelation. Knowledge is acquired in the inner mind by sight without the use of the reasoning faculty or sensory data. Wisdom speech

Para-Vak is the highest form of sound. It issues forth from the Supernal Ether (paramam vyomam) where all the sound vibrations that build the various worlds pre-exist in an undifferentiated state. Ultimate speech.

If Kali yuga is seen a linear timelines then the code is destroyed, it no longer belongs to vedanta, its something else, anthropomorphic paurusheya man up by man, who is under control of manas, measuring under false perceptions whereas Veda is Apaurusheya or not created by man.

there is a lot more if one knows how to look. One verse from Srimad Bhagavad Gita

indriyani parany ahur
indriyebhyah param manah
manasas tu para buddhir
yo buddheh paratas tu sah

indriyas~ senses
Manah~Mind
Buddhi~ wisdom
Tu Sah~ Turiya

It doesnt need to be more complicated than that. If this is aligned in ones study if that is how one learns then more depth and understanding will come.

This is just a basic overview

Simple for the simple. It will aid ones meditation and end all the made up divisions between the dharma traditions which to many seem to take to seriously. Dharma traditions are one, reality is one, ignorance divides and keeps man in illusion, if sense consciousness increases then tanha increases when tanha increases its easy to control people.

Dont divide :hug:

chownah

Post by chownah »

I keep scanning the posts here wanting to find out how this is connected to theravada buddhism but so far I'm not finding it.
chownah
auto

Post by auto »

markandeya wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:27 pm To think that Vishnu comes down to earth on a white horse killing and destroying degraded human lifeforms is laughable but also tragic.
what if it comes?

in alternate source, current humans are not first creations, they are like 5th or 6th(idk) addempt.
auto

Post by auto »

Nazy Germany in asia pop culture seem to be pretty much a myth. Well at least the Hitler time Germany have given lots of inspiration for interesting creations. Same way the past happenings have made into myths and interesting stories.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

chownah wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm I keep scanning the posts here wanting to find out how this is connected to theravada buddhism but so far I'm not finding it.
chownah
Hi Chownah its in the forum for Connections to Other Paths,

Its in the right place

Auto, if only if was a real word
auto

Post by auto »

markandeya wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:05 pm Auto, if only if was a real word
Humans can manipulate with dna, make clones. Only thing they die to cancer or some other malfunction.
Scientists are aware to the fact that you just can't remove defect or disease causing gene. These genes are important.

We can't eradicate bad qualities unless you replace it with same codes but better version.