Signs of Kali Yuga

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Signs of Kali Yuga

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

chownah wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:34 am
As I mentioned in a previous post I have not seen anything brought here that shows a connection between kali yuga and theravada. Is there one?.....and if so can you describe it?
chownah
The second sentence describing this Connections forum says: "What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?"
So if you have learned anything, it is that there is zero connection that you can find. Why keep repeating your lesson learned?
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Buddha was born at midnight in terms of the larger time scale
chownah

Post by chownah »

Will wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:00 pm
As I mentioned in a previous post I have not seen anything brought here that shows a connection between kali yuga and theravada. Is there one?.....and if so can you describe it?
chownah
The second sentence describing this Connections forum says: "What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?"
So if you have learned anything, it is that there is zero connection that you can find. Why keep repeating your lesson learned?
But I have not learned any lesson. Are you giving the lesson now? Are you saying that there is no connection to theravada? Are you prosletyzing for kali yuga?

One could discuss how many new agers (are there still new agers around.....they must have mostly become old agers by now) embrace the concept of kali yuga and then fill this thread with new age religion.....it would not have anything to do with theravada but you could just keep looking for a connection and when you found none you could think that the purpose of the discussion was well achieved....I guess....don't know for sure.....

chownah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Will,
chownah
I would think it's upon you, as the OP, to at least explain the connection, as you see it, regardless of whether or not other members see a connection themselves.

Otherwise, there is no defined connection, and the topic is therefore invalid.

(Apologies if you've already done that - I've not been closely following this topic...)

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:00 am Greetings Will,
chownah
I would think it's upon you, as the OP, to at least explain the connection, as you see it, regardless of whether or not other members see a connection themselves.

Otherwise, there is no defined connection, and the topic is therefore invalid.

(Apologies if you've already done that - I've not been closely following this topic...)

Metta,
I have put in bold type the sentence that some Admin put in to describe the 2nd purpose of this Connections forum. I read that to mean that a connection to Theravada is only one factor, "learning from other traditions" is also a purpose. If that is true, then why would the topic be invalid? If not true, then correct or delete that sentence in bold.

However, if one must fulfill the 'connection' requirement, Theravada & Mahayana share the same fourfold series of time cycles from the Sramana tradition. Therefor the 'connection' is that the yuga cycles & the Buddhist cycles both are fourfold & both are endless cycles & both have up & down cycles of spiritual ascent & degeneration. (I mistakenly thought this connection was obvious, considering that my second post mentioned it.) "Buddhism & Jainism use a repeating series of four kappas (kalpas). But the time span differs from the Yugas."
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Will,
Will wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 pm However, if one must fulfill the 'connection' requirement, Theravada & Mahayana share the same fourfold series of time cycles from the Sramana tradition. Therefor the 'connection' is that the yuga cycles & the Buddhist cycles both are fourfold & both are endless cycles & both have up & down cycles of spiritual ascent & degeneration. (I mistakenly thought this connection was obvious, considering that my second post mentioned it.) "Buddhism & Jainism use a repeating series of four kappas (kalpas). But the time span differs from the Yugas."
:thanks:

Yes, the "connection" aspect is primary. Where it is not, there is Dharma Paths.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 pm Greetings Will,

:thanks:

Yes, the "connection" aspect is primary. Where it is not, there is Dharma Paths.

Metta,
Then clarify by changing second sentence to: "What can we learn from our connections to other traditions, religions and philosophies?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Will,

Better still, I'll change...
Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
to...
Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
... so the sentence cannot be taken out of context. OK...

:focus:

Metta,
chownah

Post by chownah »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:48 pm Greetings Will,

Better still, I'll change...
Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
to...
... so the sentence cannot be taken out of context. OK...

:focus:

Metta,
The problem as I see it is that sometimes a connection of limited scope can be suggested and that connection is then used to justify a thread which just turns into a long exposition of some path (like prosleyzilng....how is that word spelt?) having nothing really to do with theravda or any connection to theravada.

How about something like "Exploring the connections between theravada and other paths, traditins, religions, and philosophies." This might tend to focus the discussion on the connection rather than let the discussion drift on the ocean of the other path. Also you might add something like "This is not a place to wander on the ocean of other paths, traditions, religions, or philosohies."....or something which specifically shows that the intent is to limit the discussion to the connection.....

chownah
auto

Post by auto »

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/AN/AN10_72.html
“Just now, lord, the thought occurred to those venerable ones, ‘These many very well-known Licchavis—racing after one another in auspicious vehicles, making a shrill noise, a great noise—are plunging into the Great Forest to see the Blessed One. Now, the jhānas are said by the Blessed One to be thorned by noise. What if we were to go to the Gosiṅga Sāla forest park? There we would live comfortably, with next-to-no noise, next-to-no crowding.’ So those venerable ones went to Gosiṅga Sāla forest park. There they are living comfortably, with next-to-no noise, next-to-no crowding.”
https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/DN/DN16.html
Responding, “As you say, sire,” to Ajātasattu Vedehiputta, the King of Magadha, Vassakāra the brahman, the chief minister of Magadha had auspicious vehicles yoked, got into an auspicious vehicle, left Rājagaha with the auspicious vehicles and drove toward Vulture Peak Mountain. Going in his vehicle as far as there was ground for a vehicle, getting down from his vehicle, he approached the Blessed One on foot. On arrival, he exchanged courteous greetings with the Blessed One. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he told the Blessed One, “Ajātasattu Vedehiputta, the king of Magadha, Master Gotama,2 shows reverence with his head to Master Gotama’s feet and asks whether you are free from illness & affliction, are carefree, strong, & living in comfort. Master Gotama, Ajātasattu Vedehiputta, the king of Magadha, wants to attack the Vajjians. He says: ‘I will cut down these Vajjians—so mighty, so powerful! I will destroy the Vajjians! I will bring these Vajjians to ruin—these Vajjians!’”
Its possible that there were tribes with tribe technology riding with horses and elephants and amongst them lived some with advanged technology
Ren

Post by Ren »

Will wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:55 pm This world has cycles of degeneration as well as Golden Ages. It is plain we are now not in a Golden Age as Plato called it. Here is a little list from the Indian tradition, giving the vice-ridden character that is growing in power over many. Kali Yuga began roughly 5000 years ago & is supposed to last for more than 400,000 years more.

https://mailchi.mp/exoticindia/hindu-te ... 1e463501ce
Math is way off. ~3 to ~30 years from today.

I take refuge in arupa-samadhi to return once.

Dharma Chakra has a martial arts form, devastra class. Better used after naming.
Ren

Post by Ren »

No_Mind wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 am (...)

The Yugas are as fictitious and metaphorical as the story of Genesis or Valhalla in Norse mythology. Makes as much sense to argue about it as trying to find the relics of Noah's Arc.
(...)
:namaste:
Norse mythology is no fiction.
Ren

Post by Ren »

chownah wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:39 am
chownah
But I have not learned any lesson. Are you giving the lesson now? Are you saying that there is no connection to theravada? Are you prosletyzing for kali yuga?

One could discuss how many new agers (are there still new agers around.....they must have mostly become old agers by now) embrace the concept of kali yuga and then fill this thread with new age religion.....it would not have anything to do with theravada but you could just keep looking for a connection and when you found none you could think that the purpose of the discussion was well achieved....I guess....don't know for sure.....

chownah
Only anagamis survive. Kali Yuga is mostly maha brahma's delusion, however, start date matches baktun 13, year 2555.

Time Travel is real, at least mental.

Opening Eye of Time via Emerald Dreams.
Portman

Re: Signs of Kali Yuga - can direct me to links in cuttacentral please ?

Post by Portman »

markandeya wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:38 am I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.
नस्वातोनापिपरतोनद्वाभ्यांनाप्यहेतुतः

:anjali:
Hello markandeya,
If you could please help me find these (you wrote onWed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 am) in suttacentral.net I will deeply appreciate it!

Thank you very much. J

[MN 1.341] , [ S 1.141-145; Mil 75-76] , [AN 4.88] , [AN 5.22; DN 3.84; It 57] , [DhA 2.60]

[DN 3.84] "The Tathagata means 'the body of Brahman', 'become Brahman'." (this passage also proves [from earlier context] that Brahma (god/s) is utterly different than the word Brahman).

[DN 1.249] “ I teach the way to the union with Brahman, I know the way to the supreme union with Brahman, and the path and means leading to Brahman, whereby the world of Brahman may be gained.”

[DN 1.248] ”all the peoples say that Gotama is the supreme teacher of the way leading to the Union with Brahman!”

[3.646 Pat-Att.] “To have become Brahman [is the meaning of] Brahmabhuto.”

[Atthakanipata-Att. 5.72] “To become Brahman is to become highest Svabhava (Self-nature).”

[It 57] “Become-Brahman is the meaning of Tathagata.”

[SN 3.83] “Without taints, it meant ‘Become-Brahman’.”

[SN 5.5] “The Arya Eightfold Path is the designation for Brahmayana (path to Brahman).”

[MN 1.341] “The Soul is having become Brahman.”

[SN 4.117] "Found the ancient path leading to Brahman."

[Majjhima ii, 199] "These alone could conduce to the attainment of the Brahma-sahavyata or the attainment of the world of Brahman."
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

markandeya wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:38 am I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.
नस्वातोनापिपरतोनद्वाभ्यांनाप्यहेतुतः

:anjali:
Hi.

This is a quote from my translation of a Chinese fable called 拈花微笑, or "The flower plucked and the faint smile." It is a transmission legend concerning the transmission of the Saddharma to Ven Kāśyapa, and has been used as an apocryphal origin story for Chán Buddhism.

This is the full text:
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching.

The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa whose face cracked in a faint smile.

The Lord spoke: "I have the treasure of the true dharma eye. I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta. I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa."
I've never heard of the Sanskrit title you give it here, Nasvātonāpiparatonadvābhyāṃnāpyahetutaḥ. Where did this title come from?

Edit: The Sanskrit you gave us is from the first line of the Mūlamadhyamakakārikā. I knew I recognized it from somewhere. I had it in my signature a ways back. My bad, it probably looked like the line from the MMK was the Sanskrit title of the text that I had in my signature then.

If we parse the Devanāgari text into IAST observing western spacing rules we get:
nasvāto nāpiparato nadvābhyāṃ nāpyahetutaḥ
Neither self nor other nor the two nor without causality
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Fri May 22, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.