Love in sutta or commantaries?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
fornoxe

Love in sutta or commantaries?

Post by fornoxe »

Hi everyone,

To put in the nutshell : I know love is the core of wisdom, and also metaphysic. I know that because I felt that very strongly. I cant explain what I felt in this time (2 in fact) but for me love is a real power as gravity. When your body desapear, when your ego desapear, and you just know you dont have any difference with the guys or everythings (like nature). I had oneness experience. twice.

Ok, but I feel (this time) buddha said strong truth.

Can we find any Love (not as compassion or things like that), but Love as metaphysics struff in Sutta or commentaries?

I would like to know if any kind of connection can be done between my own very crazy experience and what the buddhism say.

Cheers everyone
befriend

Re: Love in sutta or commantaries?

Post by befriend »

The law of kamma vipaka is a law of nature like gravity. When you act from a place of goodwill which is unconditional love, compassion or renunciation, there is a good fortune or experiential inheritance in the form of human life, beauty, longevity heaven and similar positive things and also the bliss of having wholesome qualities. Also as dipa Ma says awareness and compassion cannot be seperate the nature of the mind has the inherent quality of awareness so when your aware which is an aspect of nature you are experiencing a connection with life, connecting with things is how I would see as a good definition love.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Post by befriend »

My point about kamma being a kind of love is that it encourages us to do good and avoid evil. It always supports us when we do good things buddha called the law of kamma the light of the world. So metaphysically speaking the heart of the universe is good willed in believing that we receive happy experiences from being loving and restrained and bad experiences when we are being ignorant hateful greedy. If we are good and wise enough we will realize the deathless which is supreme peace no more suffering.
paul

Post by paul »

When you say “not compassion and things like that” I take it to mean the subject is not people, as the brahmaviharas are the Buddhist social attitudes. In the Lesser Discourse on Emptiness MN 121, the Buddha instructs how to take the attention away from people and focus first on the landscape, then on the earth, then progressively moving towards emptiness. I think this is a sutta reference which describes the type of experience you are talking about.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Cheers everyone. Especially about MN 121 link. I printed it I will read it soonly.

In Hindouism, we have something like : Brahman is Love.

Someone knows something more or less like that? I dont think so in sutta (i did some search on google), but in abidhamma?

:hug:

ps : i feel everyday the impact on my love around me but also inside me. No trouble. Quiet and calm. Thats a great feeling. That why its so easy to be love and kindness.

edit : MN121 looks like (I am not a good english speaker) jhana step. I am gonna to have a look in this forum about MN121. The final goal is seeing vacuity no? Interresting but not speak about the Love (I dont speak about brahmaviharas).
I discovered what I feel is very near catholiscm (I never had any instruction or whatever, even family, in catholiscim.
Last edited by fornoxe on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

PLease source befriend : " Also as dipa Ma says awareness and compassion cannot be seperate the nature of the mind has the inherent quality of awareness so when your aware which is an aspect of nature you are experiencing a connection with life, connecting with things is how I would see as a good definition love."
befriend

Post by befriend »

Dipa Ma the life and legacy of a Buddhist master. Awareness meditation and compassion meditation should not be looked on as being seperate when you are doing one you are doing the other. Paraphrased.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

cheers ;)
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

So finally, you dont have sentence where bhikkus or Gotama say the univers is Love.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I'm unaware of any place in the Buddha's teaching where he says the universe is love, or anywhere where he says the universe is one. There are probably many places where he is very restrained about making statements of a general sense at all about the universe. There is significant evidence the idea of "oneness" is a recent invention, not a Buddhist teaching. https://tricycle.org/magazine/we-are-not-one/
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Oneness is what I felt as a experience. its not from books or something (religion etc...)

So I know. But thanks for the links I will read it.