Shambhala international

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
LuisR

Shambhala international

Post by LuisR »

Do any of you have experience with this group? It was started by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche back in the seventies and is now led by his son Miphpan Rinpoche. One of the main people over there is also Nun and well known author Pema Chodron.
Aloka

Re: Shambhala international

Post by Aloka »

No, I don't live in the USA - but I noticed this newspaper article about them recently:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... y-teachers

Somehow I don't feel comfortable with the idea of a Buddhist organisation with its own "king" and "queen" of a mythical kingdom in the Himalayas.

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... yJxJ1VKjqc

Last edited by Aloka on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

That is rather unfortunate. Pema Chodrons writings are pretty good. I was given a book written by her not long ago. I like her writing style.
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

They have centers all over. The head quarters are in Canada.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

LuisR wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm That is rather unfortunate. Pema Chodrons writings are pretty good. I was given a book written by her not long ago. I like her writing style.
Sure, Pema Chodron writes some sensible advice for beginners. She was previously a student of Chogyam Trungpa and she's a nun who keeps her precepts.
Last edited by Aloka on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Yeah. I wish I had my own Kingdom.
Aloka wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Somehow I don't feel comfortable with the idea of a Buddhist organisation with its own "king" and "queen" of a mythical kingdom in the Himalayas.

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... yJxJ1VKjqc

LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Has anyone read Chogyam Trungpas writings?
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

My formal introduction to the Buddhist path was through Shambhala, a series of five weekend programs with extensive meditation practice, rather like Buddhist boot camp. It was a great foundation for my further studies.

Trungpa was a unique master, using very unorthodox methods to convey very orthodox teachings. His lifestyle was unusual to say the least, some things very controversial, but ultimately he was pivotal in planting the seeds of Buddhism to a receptive American and other Western audiences. His writings can be very challenging.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

LuisR wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:53 pm Yeah. I wish I had my own Kingdom.
You can find one here.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
LuisR wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:29 pm Do any of you have experience with this group? It was started by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche back in the seventies and is now led by his son Miphpan Rinpoche. One of the main people over there is also Nun and well known author Pema Chodron.
Maybe you could ask over at the Mahayana / Vajrayana Dharma Wheel forum.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 pm
You can find one here.
Good one, Bhante!
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Justsit wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm My formal introduction to the Buddhist path was through Shambhala, a series of five weekend programs with extensive meditation practice, rather like Buddhist boot camp. It was a great foundation for my further studies.

Trungpa was a unique master, using very unorthodox methods to convey very orthodox teachings. His lifestyle was unusual to say the least, some things very controversial, but ultimately he was pivotal in planting the seeds of Buddhism to a receptive American and other Western audiences. His writings can be very challenging.
I went through the training almost 40 years ago. It was a good way to clear my head at the time but I had no interest in continuing or in Trungpa and his indulgences.
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Justsit wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm My formal introduction to the Buddhist path was through Shambhala, a series of five weekend programs with extensive meditation practice, rather like Buddhist boot camp. It was a great foundation for my further studies.

Where did you do your program?
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 pm
You can find one here.
Thank you that was great. :namaste: