Shambhala international

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Garrib

Re: Shambhala international

Post by Garrib »

I read a lot of Trungpa when I was younger. I also went to meditate with a local Shambhala chapter. When I finally decided to take refuge and get more serious about cultivating the Noble Eightfold Path, I made the choice to abandon the idea that booze/womanizing had anything remotely to do with wisdom or enlightenment.
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Chogyam Trungpa most definitely seems like he was an interesting character. I like his robe. I wish I could wear something like that to work.

santa100

Post by santa100 »

He was an "interesting character" all right.
Osaka

Post by Osaka »

Everybody is probably already aware of this but this seems quite relevant to the topic at hand.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/nyre ... nduct.html
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

They have such a big Sangha , it will interesting to see whay happens now.
pismak

Post by pismak »

LuisR wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:58 pm Has anyone read Chogyam Trungpas writings?
For me It was a good starting point. Then I investigate further, and I was not very comfortable with some things I found. I invite you to read him, and controversies in wikipedia and other pages
pismak

Post by pismak »

Justsit wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm My formal introduction to the Buddhist path was through Shambhala, a series of five weekend programs with extensive meditation practice, rather like Buddhist boot camp. It was a great foundation for my further studies.

Trungpa was a unique master, using very unorthodox methods to convey very orthodox teachings. His lifestyle was unusual to say the least, some things very controversial, but ultimately he was pivotal in planting the seeds of Buddhism to a receptive American and other Western audiences. His writings can be very challenging.
His writings could be a good starting point to any newbie, and usually are easy to find in your language (non-english) or your local library.