Musings about Tantra.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Musings about Tantra.

Post by SarathW »

I had my first lesson in Tantra.
I hope I got the right Guru.
:jumping:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
LuisR

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by LuisR »

I also want that tantra teacher!! :tongue:
SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:38 am I had my first lesson in Tantra.
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Didn't Tibetan teachers in the west take advantage of tantra practise to sexually exploit their females students??
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

LuisR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 pm Didn't Tibetan teachers in the west take advantage of tantra practise to sexually exploit their females students??
Didn't Theravada monks in Thailand take advantage of their status and the dana system to exploit large quantities of money from their followers?
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 pm
LuisR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 pm Didn't Tibetan teachers in the west take advantage of tantra practise to sexually exploit their females students??
Didn't Theravada monks in Thailand take advantage of their status and the dana system to exploit large quantities of money from their followers?
What does that have to do with Tantra?
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm
I wouldn't mind it in the slightest if she sexually exploited me!

I wouldn't either but most "lamas" don't look like her. :namaste:
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

LuisR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm
Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 pm
The same thing your comment has to do with Buddhist Tantra: Nothing at all.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
Aloka

Re: Musings about Tantra.

Post by Aloka »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:38 am I had my first lesson in Tantra.
Oh puleeze.....are we still in junior school ? :thinking:

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

..and how many teachers was that out of all the Tibetans with students in the west? Any idea? I can only think of 3 that have been publicly "outed" and they were lay teachers not monks....and probably about the same number of Zen teachers.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:38 amI hope I got the right Guru.
The internet appears to say your Guru committed suicide. :|

http://www.newsindiatimes.com/indian-am ... depression
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... 57c44b76bb
https://www.sovcal.com/heroin-treatment ... traumatic/
Isadora grew up in a fundamentalist Christian cult where her father purportedly abused her and other young girls. Although she escaped from the oppressive environment when she was 17, Isadora’s next few years were equally tumultuous. In the quest for freedom from trauma, her 20s became a “blur” of sex, drugs, alcohol and anything else which helped numb her “inner demons”. Sex also became a means of escape: “Sex was like my heroin,” she said, adding that her past sexual abuse made her “hypersexual” instead of suppressing her desire.

For most of her life, Isadora struggled with bipolar disorder. She disregarded the prescribed treatment of lithium, preferring instead to self-medicate with alcohol and Xanax, which she had been using to treat insomnia. At 29, she overdosed on crystal meth and harbored suicidal thoughts. In the months before her death, Isadora had been trying to give up alcohol, caffeine and Xanax. She stopped taking the medication abruptly without realizing two potential side effects of withdrawal – depression and suicidal ideation.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

adding that her past sexual abuse made her “hypersexual” instead of suppressing her desire.
I wish her exposed to real Buddhism.
:(
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SDC

Post by SDC »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 pm
LuisR wrote:
Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 pm Didn't Theravada monks in Thailand take advantage of their status and the dana system to exploit large quantities of money from their followers?
The same thing your comment has to do with Buddhist Tantra: Nothing at all.
Exactly. If you want to talk about corrupt or misbehaving monastics then start a thread about corrupt and misbehaving monastics.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SDC

Post by SDC »

And if we could all just bear in mind that this is an all ages website. Let us continue to keep it clean in these tantra threads.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 pm
adding that her past sexual abuse made her “hypersexual” instead of suppressing her desire.
I wish her exposed to real Buddhism.
:(

Yes it is rather unfortunate when people practice tantra instead of real Buddhism.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

LuisR wrote:Aloka is a Tibetan name is it not? I don't blame you for trying to cover things up. It is quite common among tantric cults.
Excuse me? "Aloka" is a Pali word and the name was suggested to me a few years ago by a Theravadin friend.

I do have a Tibetan Buddhist Refuge name, however - but what that is is not your business - and I am not trying to "cover things up" nor have I ever been a member of a "cult".

It might also be worthwhile if you focus on the "Connections to other paths" aspect of this website and show a little respect, rather than trying to target me over an imaginary cult membership.

:anjali: