Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
User avatar
Grigoris
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 am

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:49 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:22 am
That's nice. Good also of you to admit that Tantra is not Theravada.
I never said that Tantra is Theravada I said that Theravada Buddhism, as it is practiced in Thailand, contains some tantric practices. That is one of the reasons why the "vs" issue is of no relevance to me. The other reason is, because I am not a sectarian. I am not here to prove the supremacy of anything.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 16452
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 am

Grigoris wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:49 am
retrofuturist wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:22 am
That's nice. Good also of you to admit that Tantra is not Theravada.
I never said that Tantra is Theravada I said that Theravada Buddhism, as it is practiced in Thailand, contains some tantric practices. That is one of the reasons why the "vs" issue is of no relevance to me. The other reason is, because I am not a sectarian. I am not here to prove the supremacy of anything.
After a quiet weekend at my local Wat, it's intriguing to return to see how polarizing this discussion has become. I used to be surprised that many of my Thai friends put a lot of stock in things that don't fit into what most people here would call Theravada Buddhism. But you'd have to be asleep to visit Thailand and miss the brisk trade in amulets at many Thai Wats, huge statues of Somdej Toh, and so on. [You can check out the movie Nang Nak https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nang_Nak to see a dramatization of the legend of Somdej Toh pacifying the ghost of Nak, after the villagers and less able exorcists have failed.]

I have no interest pursuing these practices [though I do occasionally get told to wear a particular amulet by my wife, and it would be rather rude to refuse...]. However they are part of the intriguing kaleidoscope that is Thailand...

I guess we could continue to argue about whether or not some things that happen inside and outside many Wats in Thailand should be called "Theravada Buddhism", but that seems a little pointless. Perhaps it would be better to simply rephrase the discussion as one about "the practices of Thai Buddhists"...

:heart:
Mike

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5789
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by Aloka » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:42 am

grigoris wrote:I never said that Tantra is Theravada I said that Theravada Buddhism, as it is practiced in Thailand, contains some tantric practices. That is one of the reasons why the "vs" issue is of no relevance to me. The other reason is, because I am not a sectarian. I am not here to prove the supremacy of anything.
As an interested reader of this topic, I've been really appreciating your patience, grigoris.

mikenz66 wrote:
I guess we could continue to argue about whether or not some things that happen inside and outside many Wats in Thailand should be called "Theravada Buddhism", but that seems a little pointless. Perhaps it would be better to simply rephrase the discussion as one about "the practices of Thai Buddhists"...
Indeed.

:anjali:

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 16452
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by mikenz66 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Off-topic posts moved to here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32144

Please stick to the topic of wheter Tantra, or Tantric practices that have some connection with Theravada Buddhism or Theravada Buddhists.

:heart:
Mike

User avatar
Grigoris
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 am

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:25 am

An interview with a western Reusi. I had the good kamma to meet with Somananda in Bangkok and get a guided tour of Wat and temples in Bangkok associated with the Reusi tradition.

http://www.sakyan.org/en/interview-with-a-ruesi/
Me and him.jpg
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 16452
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks. That's very interesting.

:heart:
Mike

LuisR
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by LuisR » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 pm

This is your blog? Is that you in the pic? It was an interesting read.
Grigoris wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:25 am
An interview with a western Reusi. I had the good kamma to meet with Somananda in Bangkok and get a guided tour of Wat and temples in Bangkok associated with the Reusi tradition.

http://www.sakyan.org/en/interview-with-a-ruesi/

Me and him.jpg

User avatar
Grigoris
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 am

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:52 am

LuisR wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 pm
This is your blog? Is that you in the pic? It was an interesting read.
No, it is not my blog. It is the blog of the people that run sakyan.org (you can find them on Facebook too).

The guy in the white is me.

The people at sakyan.org are based in northern Italy.

From what I know they have also been initiated into the Reusi tradition.

I try to practice as a ngakpa in the Dudjom Tersar.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.

SarathW
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by SarathW » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Alan Watts gives a brief description of Tantra.
It appears he followed the same path.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Kordian
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by Kordian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi !
Can i get some links etc to the tantric theravada? In particular i mean here Grigoris :D

Metta
User Kordian

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5789
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by Aloka » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:10 pm

SarathW wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:53 pm
Alan Watts gives a brief description of Tantra.
It appears he followed the same path.
Alan Watts also appeared to follow the path of alcoholism.

:shrug:

.

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 16452
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Kordian wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm
Hi !
Can i get some links etc to the tantric theravada? In particular i mean here Grigoris :D

Metta
User Kordian
Hi Kordian,

Here are some threads that might be of interest:
viewtopic.php?t=10503
viewtopic.php?t=6599
viewtopic.php?t=833
viewtopic.php?t=11284


:heart:
Mike

Kordian
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Is there an equivalent to Tantra in Theravada Buddhism?

Post by Kordian » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:35 am

Thank you :)

Metta
Kordian

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests