Ruesi - Thai lay and Tantric practitioners

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Grigoris

Ruesi - Thai lay and Tantric practitioners

Post by Grigoris »

What is a Ruesi? What does the term mean?
The Thai term Reusi originates from the Sanskrit word Rishi, meaning seer. In the Vedic tradition the Rishi are the sons of Brahma. They are credited with discovering/receiving many of the mantras found in the Vedas and other Indian texts. Every mantra has a seer who received this mantra from a higher being or from his or her own insight. This is the meaning of the term Rishi on the linguistic level. In India, this word generally refers to a group of ascetics associated with or descended from Brahma. This title is not given out easily and some might say that one must be of the Brahmin caste in order to use this term. Others use the term to refer to a highly accomplished practitioner of the Vedic sciences. In Thailand the term Reusi is a blanket term used to refer to various types of practitioners who are practicing esoteric sciences and have the appearance of an ascetic. In actuality, the practices of many of the people called or calling themselves Ruesi are often very different from one another. Some people are practicing as ascetics, some as householders, some in the city, some in the wilderness, some practice mantra, tantra, yoga and others practice meditation or medicine. To summarize, the Reusi are the holders of the natural laws and sciences, which have been passed down over the millennia.
http://www.sakyan.org/en/interview-with-a-ruesi/
THE LERSI; THE RUESI, OR ‘PRA RASI’ – ALSO CALLED IN INDIA, THE “RISHI”
Lersi is a word used to call people who possess mind powers, who practice the development of mind and it’s powers in various aspects. Even the Lord Buddha Himself received teachings from the Lersi.
http://www.lersi.net/108-ruesi/
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
Aloka

Re: Ruesi - Thai lay and Tantric practitioners

Post by Aloka »

I came across this:

"Hermit-Sage of the Digital Age – Interview with an American Ruesi"

http://siamandbeyond.com/hermit-sage-di ... can-ruesi/

:anjali:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

There are references to Theravadan "Rishis" in this long and diverse thread on "Theravadan Tantra":

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10503

Grigoris, I believe you said you were on DW as an earlier incarnation, so you are probably familiar with it. I guess it would appeal!
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Thank you for the links people! :anjali:

I am off to Bangkok at the end of the month as the Greek representative to the annual UN Vesak conference and am looking to hook up with some people from these traditions.

The lineage I practice in (Dudjom Tersar) is a uposattha based tradition with many external and practice similarities and I am looking to discuss with people practicing in the Thai lineages.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

grigoris wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 am Thank you for the links people! :anjali:

I am off to Bangkok at the end of the month as the Greek representative to the annual UN Vesak conference and am looking to hook up with some people from these traditions.

The lineage I practice in (Dudjom Tersar) is a uposattha based tradition with many external and practice similarities and I am looking to discuss with people practicing in the Thai lineages.

Hope all goes well and you have a good time.

:anjali:

chownah

Post by chownah »

Grigoris wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 am Thank you for the links people! :anjali:

In thailand all children learn the alphabet from alphabet books. Each letter has a picture showing some object which contains the letter which it represents. One of the letters is represented by Reusi. I suggest that you get an alphabet book on arriving in thailand (they are available at virtually EVERY book stall (airports, railways, bus stops, etc.) and all book stores and book selling kiosks.....easy to find.....you can ask for the "kawkai" book. Look through it and near the end you will see a picture of reusi with long hair and beard and usually wearing a leopard skin and a sort of turbin like hat. That letter is called "sawbawreusi". If you can find a young thai child at primary school level it has been my experience that if they are not too shy they will be very very glad to go through the book and recite the alphabet or if they want to show their mastery they will recite it from memory without using the book. If you like children this is a wonderful way to have an enjoyable interaction which thai children and their parents will be delighted too in having a westerner encourage their children's education.....it is also a good way to ease the boredom on a long bus or train ride....just find a five or six year old child and get out your alphabet book and encourage them to read it.

Since EVERY thai person grows up with reusi in a completely secular way it is to be expected that the vast majority of thai people have a secular understanding of reusi is. Reusi is a not uncommon cartoon character who is usually depicted as being a very friendly sort of elfish guy with some supernatural powers or a mysterious and slightly dark character with supernatural powers who always works for the side of good against evil. I don't think you will find many thais who can give you some historical or literary account explaining reusi....it will be more like whatever stories children are told or that they tell each other. I once say a man who I immediately recognized as being reusi walking along the major highway near where I live in thailand. I asked my wife about him and she said he was a crazy man. She did not know the man and had never seen him before so she was just reacting to his appearance and did not seem to make any connection with reusi or made the connection that anyone wanting to live like reusi was crazy.
chownah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Here are some sing-a-longs...
https://www.thaialphabet.net/thai-alphabet-song/

Note that the names are needed to distinguish consonants, since there is redundancy in the sounds. In English we have "s is for snake", but there is only one "s", whereas there are three "sor" consonants: (pavillion, hermit, tiger).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_alphabet#Alphabetic

:heart:
Mike
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

As chownah mentioned, these soft covered Alphabet books are available everywhere for 10-20baht each. Here are 2 more examples of ruesi. The si is derived from the Sanskrit sri but the r is silent in spoken Thai and omitted in some cases. Here, there are different spellings of Thai words in English and can be a bit confusing.
Attachments
Ruesi.jpg
Ruesi.jpg (302.26 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Grigoris wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 am Thank you for the links people! :anjali:

Does the Dudjom tersar and Dudjom new treasure the same ?
You always gain by giving
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

James Tan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Does the Dudjom tersar and Dudjom new treasure the same ?
Yes.