Musings about "My experience at 10 day Vipassana course"

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
robertk

Re: My experience at 10 day Vipassana course

Post by robertk »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 am You stop trying to manipulate and change all that because that is what you are!
This is key! And why vipassana can never be a technique or developed by a technique imho.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

robertk wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:51 am
Saengnapha wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 am You stop trying to manipulate and change all that because that is what you are!
This is key! And why vipassana can never be a technique or developed by a technique.
Please have a chat with Sam! :D
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:41 am
Sam Vara wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 am
Saengnapha wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 am I'm not kicking any can and I don't need to explain insight. It is not an intellectual idea to me or something that I need to think about. It is what happens when you see the limitation of your mind, your thinking, your questions, and the becoming that is always going on. You stop trying to manipulate and change all that because that is what you are!
You don't need to explain insight, but if you don't, there is nothing in your posts that would convince someone reading them that they are not the product of delusion, or a need to indulge your sense of superiority. And although you claim it is something you don't need to think about, you seem to think about it quite a lot, whenever you find an opportunity to claim that other practices are not useful for gaining insight.

Is repeatedly giving people advice on how you see insight a form of becoming, or is it somehow exempt?
You are doing nothing but projecting. You want to challenge me, I understand. But you are not really considering anything I have been saying to see if it has any truth to it. I am questioning our whole belief system, our whole conditioned response to life. Perhaps you have never had any insight into this subject but continue to intellectualize and theorize about what you believe. I have no interest to do that. And, I have no interest to answer questions from you that have no sincerity to them.
Are you doing anything more than projecting, Saengnapha? I have asked questions about your position, and stated what I think are the implications. Have you done anything different regarding my position? Perhaps you never had any insight into the subject, but continue to intellectualise and theorise about what you believe. It might be that you have no interest in answering questions from me that show that your position undercuts itself. I've given you every opportunity to show that your position is somehow exempt from the criticism that you apply to others.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

robertk wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:51 am
This is key! And why vipassana can never be a technique or developed by a technique.
And I think anyone who has had any insight at all would agree that seeing that trying to manipulate and change things is the problem, so I don't see why it's made out to be such a special revelation...

Where there are differences of opinion which choices to make in order to see this clearly. Saengnapha seems to has some strong opinions about a technique to set up the right conditions (any choice in behaviour or thinking is a "technique"), otherwise we wouldn't be getting so much advice about it...

But of course, we've been over that discussion many times in the past. Robert started a nice thread about it here: The causes for wisdom.

:heart:
Mike
robertk

Post by robertk »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:08 am it...

But of course, we've been over that discussion many times in the past. Robert started a nice thread about it here: The causes for wisdom.

Mike
thanks for linking to that discussion!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

robertk wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 am thanks for linking to that discussion!
It was a fun discussion... :tongue:

Plenty of back-and-forth about what is or is not a technique. As you know, I regard anything that involves a choice as a technique in the broad sense. Earlier in this thread we were given this advice on technique:
Saengnapha wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:46 pm The ones who directly experience this teaching did exactly what I said, they studied the words of the Buddha until they began to spontaneously contemplate its meaning. No one can teach you that. It happens in its own time and in its own way. But you will do what you want, in any case, so advice is almost always superfluous.
Mike