Antinatalism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Layt

Antinatalism

Post by Layt »

Hi, so just as the title suggests, I'd like to talk about antinatalism.

In case you don't know what it is... antinatalism is a point of view that assigns a negative value to birth. Antinatalism may be philosophical, ethical, religious and even political (like ecological antinatalism). Antinatalists aren't supposed to procreate, though they can still adopt children.

Now remember : the doctrine of Theravāda buddhism aims at stopping the rebirth process of the saṃsāra. In many sutta the Buddha clearly says that birth/existence is unsatisfactory/stressful/suffering, which is why he searched for a way to stop the rebirth process. Of course the Buddha never said that procreating was unethical, but that's because of the saṃsāra concept according to which kammic imprints cause the emergence of life, whether people stop procreating or not, thus there will always be birth (in this world or in another) unless nibbāna is realized.

So... can we call buddhism a saṃsāric antinatalism ?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Antinatalism

Post by Sam Vara »

There was a long thread on this topic a few years ago, when David Benatar's book was more in the public eye:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23194&hilit=antinatalism
Layt

Post by Layt »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:51 pm There was a long thread on this topic a few years ago, when David Benatar's book was more in the public eye:

Can't we discuss the subject on my thread though ? I mean I don't think people enjoy reading several pages before posting. Also sometimes it's better to start from scratch, just my opinion...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:59 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:51 pm There was a long thread on this topic a few years ago, when David Benatar's book was more in the public eye:

Can't we discuss the subject on my thread though ? I mean I don't think people enjoy reading several pages before posting. Also sometimes it's better to start from scratch, just my opinion...
Yes, of course - go ahead! I merely meant to indicate another source of material on the topic if you were interested, and if other people wanted to get more information before they commented.

:anjali:
Layt

Post by Layt »

Oh ok well thanks, I'll try to read everything (if I don't fall asleep before reaching the end) !

I'm not used to helpful moderators so I misread your intention ~
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 pmSo... can we call buddhism a saṃsāric antinatalism ?
No because Buddhism contains teachings for both monks & laypeople. Therefore, it appears the teachings for monks might be antinatalism but not the teachings for laypeople. Refer to the 1st sermon:
Bhikkhus, these two extremes ought not to be cultivated by one gone forth from the house-life. What are the two? There is devotion to indulgence of pleasure in the objects of sensual desire, which is inferior, low, vulgar, ignoble, and leads to no good; and there is devotion to self-torment, which is painful, ignoble and leads to no good.

The middle way discovered by a Perfect One avoids both these extremes; it gives vision, it gives knowledge, and it leads to peace, to direct acquaintance, to discovery, to nibbana. And what is that middle way? It is simply the noble eightfold path, that is to say, right view, right intention; right speech, right action, right livelihood; right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. That is the middle way discovered by a Perfect One, which gives vision, which gives knowledge, and which leads to peace, to direct acquaintance, to discovery, to nibbana.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Layt

Post by Layt »

DooDoot wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:39 pm
Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 pmSo... can we call buddhism a saṃsāric antinatalism ?
No because Buddhism contains teachings for both monks & laypeople. Therefore, it appears the teachings for monks might be antinatalism but not the teachings for laypeople. Refer to the 1st sermon:
Bhikkhus, these two extremes ought not to be cultivated by one gone forth from the house-life. What are the two? There is devotion to indulgence of pleasure in the objects of sensual desire, which is inferior, low, vulgar, ignoble, and leads to no good; and there is devotion to self-torment, which is painful, ignoble and leads to no good.

The middle way discovered by a Perfect One avoids both these extremes; it gives vision, it gives knowledge, and it leads to peace, to direct acquaintance, to discovery, to nibbana. And what is that middle way? It is simply the noble eightfold path, that is to say, right view, right intention; right speech, right action, right livelihood; right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. That is the middle way discovered by a Perfect One, which gives vision, which gives knowledge, and which leads to peace, to direct acquaintance, to discovery, to nibbana.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
The Buddha didn't really teach anything to lay people, he just gave them a bunch of moral codes, these could've been advised by any respectable ascetic.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 pmThe Buddha didn't really teach anything to lay people, he just gave them a bunch of moral codes...
The Buddha said:
"It is not thus, young householder, the six quarters should be worshipped in the discipline of the noble."

"How then, Lord, should the six quarters be worshipped in the discipline of the noble? It is well, Lord, if the Exalted One would teach the doctrine to me showing how the six quarters should be worshipped in the discipline of the noble."

"Well, young householder, listen and bear it well in mind; I shall speak."

"Very good, Lord," responded young Sigala.

DN 31
:alien:
Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 pmThese could've been advised by any respectable ascetic.
This is obviously not true given the moral teachings of the Buddha are not found in many other religions.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Layt

Post by Layt »

DooDoot wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:53 pm
Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 pmThe Buddha didn't really teach anything to lay people, he just gave them a bunch of moral codes...
The Buddha said:
"It is not thus, young householder, the six quarters should be worshipped in the discipline of the noble."

"How then, Lord, should the six quarters be worshipped in the discipline of the noble? It is well, Lord, if the Exalted One would teach the doctrine to me showing how the six quarters should be worshipped in the discipline of the noble."

"Well, young householder, listen and bear it well in mind; I shall speak."

"Very good, Lord," responded young Sigala.

DN 31
:alien:
Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 pmThese could've been advised by any respectable ascetic.
This is obviously not true given the moral teachings of the Buddha are not found in many other religions.
Have you ever heard of jainism ? It was like the other big ascetic movement along with buddhism at that time, and it had a way more refined ethical code.

Anyway this 6 quarters thing has nothing to do with the Dhamma, you ain't gonna reach nibbāna by paying hommage to your parents, your teachers etc.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:58 pmHave you ever heard of jainism ? It was like the other big ascetic movement along with buddhism at that time, and it had a way more refined ethical code.
Why don't you quote the Jain teachings to support your unsubstantiated trivial post? Thanks
Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:58 pmAnyway this 6 quarters thing has nothing to do with the Dhamma, you ain't gonna reach nibbāna by paying hommage to your parents, your teachers etc.
The 6 quarters won't reach Nibbana but they do provide a foundation for reaching Nibbana. It is highly related to Dhamma because if the 6 quarters thing is not followed by laypeople, there will be lots of suffering. Also, of a monk does not understand the 6 quarters things, they cannot see kammic reality clearly, which hinders Nibbana. Please remember one of the Three Knowledges that lead to the Buddha's Enlightenment is the knowledge of kamma. In MN 6, the Buddha taught if the precepts are not followed there will be no attainment of Dhamma.

:group:

Layt

Post by Layt »

DooDoot wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:11 pm
Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:58 pmHave you ever heard of jainism ? It was like the other big ascetic movement along with buddhism at that time, and it had a way more refined ethical code.
Why don't you quote the Jain teachings to support your unsubstantiated trivial post? Thanks
Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:58 pmAnyway this 6 quarters thing has nothing to do with the Dhamma, you ain't gonna reach nibbāna by paying hommage to your parents, your teachers etc.
The 6 quarters won't reach Nibbana but they do provide a foundation for reaching Nibbana. It is highly related to Dhamma because if the 6 quarters thing is not followed by laypeople, there will be lots of suffering. Also, of a monk does not understand the 6 quarters things, they cannot see kammic reality clearly, which hinders Nibbana. Please remember one of the Three Knowledges that lead to the Buddha's Enlightenment is the knowledge of kamma. In MN 6, the Buddha taught if the precepts are not followed there will be no attainment of Dhamma.

:group:
Your "foundation" is good kamma, good kamma can be gained by anyone, even those with wrong views, so it doesn't have anything to do with buddhism.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Layt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:31 pmYour "foundation" is good kamma, good kamma can be gained by anyone, even those with wrong views, so it doesn't have anything to do with buddhism.
It is component of the Noble Eightfold Path. According to the Pali suttas:
The Lion's Roar

61. And the Blessed One spoke, saying: "In whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, there is not found the Noble Eightfold Path, neither is there found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, or fourth degree of saintliness. But in whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline there is found the Noble Eightfold Path, there is found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness. Now in this Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, is found the Noble Eightfold Path; and in it alone are also found true ascetics of the first, second, third and fourth degrees of saintliness. Devoid of true ascetics are the systems of other teachers. But if, Subhadda, the bhikkhus live righteously, the world will not be destitute of arahats.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .vaji.html

Layt

Post by Layt »

If a Theravāda country had had a sudden development like the one in Western Europe, religion would've turned into some kind of ethical and atheistic antinatalism.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

There's too many "woke" people posting on this thread for my liking... :tongue:
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
bryozoa

Post by bryozoa »

Buddhism has to be antinatalist? Surely any birth is antithetical in Buddhism? I'm a committed antinatalist myself and always unconsciously have been even before I stumbled across David Benatar's book. One way to end all human suffering would be through voluntary phased extinction. I don't see any ethical problem with compulsory sterilization. Many good people will never have the chance to reproduce and yet many aggressive people will propagate themselves with ease (this is my main issue with karma, the way violent people are often rewarded with worldly fulfillment).

So mass sterilization of the human species would appear to be the fairest option. Non-human animals appear not to have the cognitive ability to voluntarily bring about their own extinction or the capacity to override survival instincts (this might be why only humans are said to be able to achieve enlightenment). Humans can bring about our own extinction, so we should, if not for our own sake than for the sake of the natural environment. There are strong environmental arguments as well as utilitarian for the extinction of the human species.