Wat Chaimongkol? Gyuto? Theravada?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
WindSong

Wat Chaimongkol? Gyuto? Theravada?

Post by WindSong »

There is a Monastery in Fairfield called "Wat Chaimongkol," and one in Richmond called "Gyuto Foundation." I still don't know my path as a Buddhist, so I am trying to figure things out and learn. I feel drawn to both places of practice, but don't know if they are of the Theravada tradition. These are the two easily accessible locations for me, especially the one in Fairfield(Wat Chaimongkol). After a vague understanding of a google search, I'm guessing that "Wats" are of the Theravada tradition. I really hope so, because I love the fact that this forum has a large number of members that we can learn from, and I love the people at Wat Chaimongkol. Finding both in synchronization would be eternally priceless. I hope I am stepping in the right direction.

Om Mani Padme Hum
JamesTheGiant

Re: Wat Chaimongkol? Gyuto? Theravada?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

The Wat is named after a famous one in Bangkok, and is almost certainly Thai and Theravada. The Gyuto Foundation is Tibetan, and has classes and courses and is probably better for a westerner new to buddhism. Thai Wats tend to be more directed towards serving the Thai immigrant community, instead of educating and spreading buddhism. But visit both, see how you like them.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I've been to the Gyuto foundation once to see Thupten Jinpa, the Dalai Lama's longtime translator, give a talk. It felt like a peaceful place from what I remember. Its essentially a Tibetan monastery in a nice residential neighborhood in the hills of Richmond.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
WindSong

Post by WindSong »

I'm feeling drawn towards spreading Buddhism. Not by force, but by example, and being able to teach what I learn when someone asks. I want to follow something universal and tangible to all. I feel that this type of path I'm looking to follow can benefit more than less. This is my observation. I hope that I can still stay here at Dhamma Wheel if I decide to follow a Tibetan life.