What is the difference between God's plan and Kamma?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
binocular

Re: What is the difference between God's plan and Kamma?

Post by binocular »

Dhammanando wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pmIf it's that sort of God you have in mind then the answer's easy: The law of kamma and vipāka doesn't play favourites. That sort of God does.
Kamma works in mysterious ways. In fact, so mysterious, that it might very well be that it plays favorites. It's not like we can know.
:juggling:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

This is the way that leads to beauty, that is to say, not to be angry or given to much rage; even when much is said, not to be furious, angry, ill-disposed or resentful, or to show ill-temper, hate or surliness.

Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta

Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think the difference between god's plan and theravadan kamma is that someone is always telling you what god's plan is while no one tells you how kamma works.

I think the difference between god's plan and theravadan kamma is that if you take the fabricated notion of "god" and strip away the quality of personality you end up with the fabricated notion of "kamma".
chownah
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 pm What is the difference between God's plan and Kamma?
Both of them work in mysterious ways, but with God's plan you can blame somebody else. ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Dinsdale wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:13 pm
No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 pm What is the difference between God's plan and Kamma?
Both of them work in mysterious ways, but with God's plan you can blame somebody else. ;)
You cannot argue with God. He always wins.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

No_Mind wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Praise the Lord! :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Dinsdale wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:27 pm
No_Mind wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Praise the Lord! :tongue:
The first and last thing I do daily

Glory be to God on high, and on earth peace, good will towards men. We praise thee, we bless thee, we worship thee, we glorify thee, we give thanks to thee for thy great glory, O Lord God, heavenly King, God the Father Almighty. Amen

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:18 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:11 pm Like I said before: "personality". IMO that is the biggest difference. Karma doesn't have one. That is why karma cannot be evil.

If karma had a personality, it would be a wicked one. If karma decided to punish and/or reward, even if it decided according to an "objective" or believed-to-be-objective standard, it would be quite wicked.
Good answer :thumbsup:
How do you navigate between these two stances?
No_Mind wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:44 pm
Dinsdale wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:27 pmPraise the Lord! :tongue:
The first and last thing I do daily

Glory be to God on high, and on earth peace, good will towards men. We praise thee, we bless thee, we worship thee, we glorify thee, we give thanks to thee for thy great glory, O Lord God, heavenly King, God the Father Almighty. Amen
If God and karma are the same, with the exception of personality, and personality would make karma wicked, then how does personality not make God wicked?

For instance, lets say I murder someone. "Karma" sends me to hell.

Whether or not I "deserved" to go to hell, if its the whim of karma/God, based on their personality, they could have decided to simply send both me and the person I murdered to heaven together. It's not considered "right", after all, I murdered someone, theoretically, but in the end, my suffering in hell, if made as a personal decision of an arbitrator, was somewhat arbitrary.
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:45 pm How do you navigate between these two stances?
I said Good Answer. I did not agree with an implied meaning that God maybe evil. He is irritating at times though.

You have to know something about Hindu belief in God

Looking upon -

God as father
God as child
God as friend
God as lover
and God as plain God

all are valid paths and practised.

Being angry with God is not much different than being angry with ones parent (or child or lover as case maybe)

So one can blame God a lot in Hinduism.

Also there is lot of belief in "I am God" Svayam Bhagavān and it is perfectly okay to be angry with oneself

Being Hindu-lite I have very fluid concept of God. I am perfectly capable of banishing Shiva Linga from my worship altar (sometimes Buddha faces it too)

I relate to both of them as if they are real and present with me at all times. May seem very strange to Judeo-Christians but not at all considered strange here.

Last edited by No_Mind on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:53 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:45 pm How do you navigate between these two stances?
I said Good Answer. I did not agree with an implied meaning that God maybe evil. He is irritating at times though.

You have to know something about Hindu belief in God

Looking upon -

God as father
God as child
God as friend
God as lover
and God as plain God

all are valid paths and practised.

Being angry with God is not much different than being angry with ones parent (or child or lover as case maybe)

So one can blame God a lot in Hinduism.

Also there is lot of belief in "I am God" Svayam Bhagavān and it is perfectly okay to be angry with oneself
I suppose that once you add Hinduism to the mix, the paradigms of what "God" are shift so drastically, that IMO its not clear why using the "Western" term God need apply. Certainly this is not God according to Christianity, Judaism, Islam*, etc.

I'm not saying its wrong to use the word "God" for this idea, just that most because who believe in this "God" don't share this opinion. Its not a majority-stance. Not to say its invalid.

*Sufis are like JuBus, they don't count because they can get away with anything! :sage: :spy:
What is the Uncreated?
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:02 pm I suppose that once you add Hinduism to the mix, the paradigms of what "God" are shift so drastically, that IMO its not clear why using the "Western" term God need apply. Certainly this is not God according to Christianity, Judaism, Islam*, etc.

I'm not saying its wrong to use the word "God" for this idea, just that most because who believe in this "God" don't share this opinion. Its not a majority-stance. Not to say its invalid.

*Sufis are like JuBus, they don't count because they can get away with anything! :sage: :spy:
Hold on

The thread is about Judeo-Christian God (burning bush one) and reward/punishment vis a vis Kamma and reward/punishment

But you asked me (when I replied to Spiny Dinsdale) how do I navigate ..

then my God (fluid God) came in .. let the thread continue as it is from Dinsdale's reply "Praise the Lord!" .. this is a minor distraction.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:07 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:02 pm I suppose that once you add Hinduism to the mix, the paradigms of what "God" are shift so drastically, that IMO its not clear why using the "Western" term God need apply. Certainly this is not God according to Christianity, Judaism, Islam*, etc.

Hold on

The thread is about Judeo-Christian God (burning bush one) and reward/punishment vis a vis Kamma and reward/punishment

But you asked me (when I replied to Spiny Dinsdale) how do I navigate ..

then my God (fluid God) came in .. let the thread continue as it is from Dinsdale's reply "Praise the Lord!" .. this is a minor distraction.
Ah, my apologies. I assumed your methodology of navigation would also be your methodology of accepting Christianity.

But of course, one can use a Christian prayer without being a Christian. Nothing wrong with that. It just leads to silly assumptions of Coëmgenī.
What is the Uncreated?
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Here's something, according to Mahāyāna scripture, the culmination of successful śrāvakayāna practice leads immediately to akaniṣṭagandavyūha, the highest and most refined saṃbhogakāya buddhakṣetra, even greater and more refined than Sukhāvatī.

It is presided over by Śivamaheśvara, called "Sustainer" here rather than "Destroyer", who hosts Mahāvairocanabuddha, who directly instructs the arhantaḥ in subtle dharma (saddharma).

Theravāda should reinvent itself as a New Kamakura School of Late Mahāyāna Buddhism, saying "in this degenerate age, the dharma of the master yogis is no longer effective, only pure Theravāda practice can lead to rebirth in the Pure Land!"
What is the Uncreated?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Buddhists don't know what kamma they did in the past, but we reflect on the law of kamma to come to terms with misfortune.

Pious Moslems (and Christians) reflect that it is God's Plan.

Looked at in this way, the concepts are very similar. Both are ways of rejecting blind chance as being an unsatisfactory explanation.

The Buddha gave many examples in the Commentaries of specific past causes for present effects. Punishment (Daṇḍavaggo).
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
chownah

Post by chownah »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:05 pm

The Buddha gave many examples in the Commentaries of specific past causes for present effects. Punishment (Daṇḍavaggo).
Just so that people are not misinformed, the buddha did not give examples in the commentaries....those who wrote the commentaries gave examples which they attribute to the buddha.
The commentaries were written many years after the buddha's death so he could not have given things in the commentaries.
chownah