Do we have a soul till Nibbana?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cappuccino

Re: Do we have a soul till Nibbana?

Post by cappuccino »

chownah wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:49 am
cappuccino wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:40 pm Soul is a mystery…

A mystery not solved by denial…
The flying spaghetti monster is a mystery....
A mystery not solve by denial....
chownah
Don't you realize there is karma in such comments?
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
chownah

Post by chownah »

cappuccino wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:20 pm
chownah wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:49 am
cappuccino wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:40 pm Soul is a mystery…

A mystery not solved by denial…
The flying spaghetti monster is a mystery....
A mystery not solve by denial....
chownah
Don't you realize there is karma in such comments?
Indeed I do understand this very well.
Kamma mirror on the wall, whose kamma is brighest or darkest of all?
chownah
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

"That combined subtle body, subtle mind, no beginning, no end" - first 2 minutes of the video

If there are further questions about the soul model I proposed please take it up with HHDL

And for the first time since I began studying Buddhism in 2013 .. I have a clear idea of what I am looking for. That weird doubt about anatta irritating me like a buzzing mosquito has disappeared.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:47 pm "That combined subtle body, subtle mind, no beginning, no end" - first 2 minutes of the video

If there are further questions about the soul model I proposed please take it up with HHDL
(video)
I don't think His Holiness exactly equates subtle body + subtle mind to a "soul."

"...Yet Buddhism does say we have an essential nature that transcends conditioned or material existence. In the Mahayana, this is called buddhanature, the open expanse of awakeness in which all good qualities reside.

Is this just another version of a soul? Well, it is if you think of it that way—if you try to identify yourself with it. But in reality, buddhanature is said to be empty of all concepts of self and identity, as well as birth, death, time, space, etc. To be anatman, if you will."

From https://www.lionsroar.com/do-buddhists- ... in-a-soul/
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Justsit wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:32 pm
No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:47 pm "That combined subtle body, subtle mind, no beginning, no end" - first 2 minutes of the video

(video)
I don't think His Holiness exactly equates subtle body + subtle mind to a "soul."

"...Yet Buddhism does say we have an essential nature that transcends conditioned or material existence. In the Mahayana, this is called buddhanature, the open expanse of awakeness in which all good qualities reside.

Is this just another version of a soul? Well, it is if you think of it that way—if you try to identify yourself with it. But in reality, buddhanature is said to be empty of all concepts of self and identity, as well as birth, death, time, space, etc. To be anatman, if you will."

I am not identifying with it. All I am saying is he is speaking of a sixth Khandha (sixth part) call it soul, atman, Factor X what you will which does not perish upon death but at Nibbana.

I have my answer. It fits everything I have learned. It fits everything Buddha taught.

I cannot be certain if others have their answers nor is it my responsibility to make certain that they have their answers .. that they are as sure as me .. I am sure is all I require.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Since Nirvana isn't a loss of self,

since there isn't self to lose,

then obviously one is not annihilated.
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:45 pm Since Nirvana isn't a loss of self,

since there isn't self to lose,

then obviously one is not annihilated.
All I am saying is the birth giving factor (which is normally called soul) disappears at Nibbana

I am neither speculating about what is Nibbana nor upon what is this soul.

I am really trying to focus. Have to gather my mind and meditate more.

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Nirvana has no Starbucks.

Yet Samsara has many, many Starbucks.

So the factor is obviously Starbucks.
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:59 pm Nirvana has no Starbucks.

Yet Samsara has many, many Starbucks.

So the factor is obviously Starbucks.
Except that Starbucks does not cause rebirth :smile: but soul does

It is the only reason why Sarath has to care

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31360

Look I think I found the pot of gold at end of the rainbow .. you think I found a pot of BS. Great. I am not asking you to follow me.

Justsit

Post by Justsit »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:50 pm
All I am saying is the birth giving factor (which is normally called soul) disappears at Nibbana

In Buddhism, there is nothing that is "normally called soul."

Using the term "soul" conflates several religions. This might be causing some confusion in discussion.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:43 pm

(video)

I am not identifying with it. All I am saying is he is speaking of a sixth Khandha (sixth part)
Dare ye ask or insinuate HHDL says this on the other wheel? You might get banned! :spy:
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Justsit wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:54 pm
No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:50 pm

In Buddhism, there is nothing that is "normally called soul."

Using the term "soul" conflates several religions. This might be causing some confusion in discussion.
You are welcome to call it Sastha Skandha in Sanskrit or Chattha Khanda in Pali :smile:

I have written a lot over last few pages. Chattha Khanda infuses life into an embryo and changes it to a fetus. In Hinduism it is called prana and considered as synonymous with existence of soul atman.

Buddha points out that this soul is not permanent (major difference there with Hinduism) but perishes at Nibbana.

As I have written before Christian understanding of soul is little different.

This thread is no more of interest to me. I understand what I understand.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm
No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:43 pm

I am not identifying with it. All I am saying is he is speaking of a sixth Khandha (sixth part)
Dare ye ask or insinuate HHDL says this on the other wheel? You might get banned! :spy:
Please reach them this gift from me

Dalai Lama: Hinduism & Buddhism are like twin brother & sisters

Dalai Lama pulls Baba Ramdev's beard

Dalai Lama offers puja to a Shiva Linga

Dalai Lama: I am a son of India

and of course what he said about a soul in the very first video

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:15 pmBuddha points out that this soul is not permanent (major difference there with Hinduism) but perishes at Nibbana.
Please quote the words of the Buddha.

:quote:
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:45 pm
No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:15 pmBuddha points out that this soul is not permanent (major difference there with Hinduism) but perishes at Nibbana.
Please quote the words of the Buddha.
Rephrased - it fits with Buddha's teaching of anicca. The proposed sixth khanda is not eternal.

I have typed all I need in last few pages. Either you agree or you do not. I am not going to be back in this thread any further.

Last edited by No_Mind on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.