Do we have a soul till Nibbana?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Justsit

Re: Do we have a soul till Nibbana?

Post by Justsit »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:05 pm ...it is a mistake to share insights with anyone except ones guru. ... Why don't we visit HHDL together?
Just curious - from which guru did you receive your refuge vows? That needn't be kept a secret.

Happy to see HHDL anytime, spent a three day teaching with him in NYC in 2006.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Justsit wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:46 pm
No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:05 pm ...it is a mistake to share insights with anyone except ones guru. ... Why don't we visit HHDL together?
Just curious - from which guru did you receive your refuge vows? That needn't be kept a secret.

Happy to see HHDL anytime, spent a three day teaching with him in NYC in 2006.
Why would I have a guru, teacher? I have written in umpteen posts that I have no guru, teacher.

If I had one why would I be on a forum talking shop with a bunch of strangers? I would be doing what my guru, teacher told me to do (This is not even talking shop with strangers .. it is talking shop with an unknown cluster of disembodied humans whose avatars are present through action of electrons running around few million miles of silicon ..)

I took my refuge in a tiny Theravada temple/monastery in Calcutta in 2013.

The invite to visit HHDL together is only for cappuccino.

Will not be answering any further on this thread.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Thanks

Tibet has always interested me.
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:19 am Thanks

Tibet has always interested me.

We are not going to Tibet. We are going to Himachal Pradesh in North India :?

At 8:12 of this video you get an idea of the type of place where yogis live (the ridge he points at in the distance .. snow covered even in May). The other day heard an yogi elaborate why they stay there .. for total sensory deprivation .. after first six months in a cave at such height one loses all touch with the normal world and almost all memories and can very easily slip in and out of highest stages of meditation.

Are you capable of astral projection or do we really have to go with our corporeal body? I have insomnia and OCD .. not a good traveller

Last edited by No_Mind on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Tibet is a way of life, a state of mind.

One can be there, wherever one is.
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:31 am Tibet is a way of life, a state of mind.

One can be there, wherever one is.
So astral projection it is

Good.

PM me the time

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

haha
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Watch Gabriel's video

Actually this one is better. Gabriel uses a GoPro .. a professional grade Nikon is always going to shoot better

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:47 pm "That combined subtle body, subtle mind, no beginning, no end" - first 2 minutes of the video

If there are further questions about the soul model I proposed please take it up with HHDL

And for the first time since I began studying Buddhism in 2013 .. I have a clear idea of what I am looking for. That weird doubt about anatta irritating me like a buzzing mosquito has disappeared.
Later on in this thread you mention "sixth khandha".

HHDL is talking about the ālāyavijñānakāya, which stores bījāni. This is what is carried to and fro, and the backdrop against which carrying appears.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:18 am
No_Mind wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:47 pm "That combined subtle body, subtle mind, no beginning, no end" - first 2 minutes of the video

If there are further questions about the soul model I proposed please take it up with HHDL

And for the first time since I began studying Buddhism in 2013 .. I have a clear idea of what I am looking for. That weird doubt about anatta irritating me like a buzzing mosquito has disappeared.

HHDL is talking about the ālāyavijñānakāya, which stores bījāni. This is what is carried to and fro, and the backdrop against which carrying appears.
Is there any equivalent in Theravada?
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:18 am HHDL is talking about the ālāyavijñānakāya, which stores bījāni. This is what is carried to and fro, and the backdrop against which carrying appears.
Instead of reading more and more and more and even more and getting confused and then irritated .. I am trying to keep my mind calm, quiet and meditative.

Hence will not reply or participate in any thread for several months.

Exceptions - travel videos (e.g. shown to Meezer), general health queries, general queries or where there are perception errors about matters pertaining to India or Hinduism (e.g. the somewhat mistaken concept that Brahmins were superior which is portrayed in Nikayas and completely read out of context)

In matter of above exceptions will write what I want and exit. No reply to any cross questioning and no further explanation. Just table my answer for the record.

I will also share links in "Dalai Lama videos" and "Nature is stranger we can imagine" threads that I began.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Saengnapha wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:26 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:18 am

I wouldn't really know. Apparently Venerable Vasubandhu cites the bhavaṅgacitta of the Southern School as an antecedent of the ālāyavijñānakāya. It is almost identical to the Sautrāntika view, but they argued that this process ended in parinirvāṇa afaik.

The aṣṭavijñānakāyāḥ/eight-consciousnesses are similar to śrāvakayāna up until the ālāyavijñānakāya.

Kāyāḥ 1-6 correspond to the sense consciousnesses: cakṣur, śrotra, ghrāṇa, jihvā, kāya , manovijñānakāya.

7 is reflexive self-view arisen discursive consciousness.

8 is ālāyavijñānakāya.

That's just afaik though. The similarities really end at 6. But 7 I think can be construed reasonably. I'm not really a Yogācāra buff. Kliṣṭamanovijñānakāya seems a term different teachers have different opinions on.
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:18 am Later on in this thread you mention "sixth khandha".

I wouldn't really know. Apparently Venerable Vasubandhu cites the bhavaṅgacitta of the Southern School as an antecedent of the ālāyavijñānakāya. It is almost identical to the Sautrāntika view, but they argued that this process ended in parinirvāṇa afaik.

The aṣṭavijñānakāyāḥ/eight-consciousnesses are similar to śrāvakayāna up until the ālāyavijñānakāya.

Kāyāḥ 1-6 correspond to the sense consciousnesses: cakṣur, śrotra, ghrāṇa, jihvā, kāya , manovijñānakāya.

8 is ālāyavijñānakāya.

That's just afaik though.
But the alaya is not eternal and is also not inherently existing. This is mostly Yogacara teaching, I believe, where Mind is not fully transcended. Don't quote me, please. :D
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Saengnapha wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:44 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 am

8 is ālāyavijñānakāya.

That's just afaik though.
But the alaya is not eternal and is also not inherently existing. This is mostly Yogacara teaching, I believe, where Mind is not fully transcended. Don't quote me, please. :D
I think it depends on the Yogācārin you're talking to. See satyākāravādin vs nirākāravādin,
What is the Uncreated?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that storehouse consiousness is a concept used to solve the same problem of continuity that bhavanghacitta is used for in Theravada. Here is a link to some earlier discussions:
viewtopic.php?t=28450#p406552

:heart:
Mike