Vipassana is not the way to enlightenment.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Re: Vipassana is not the way to enlightenment.

Post by SarathW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 am

Mmm... Thank you for bringing these points up. Like you, I enjoy putting Buddhism head-to-head with other approaches as an exercise. So far Buddhism always wins.
:goodpost: :twothumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

jmccoy

Post by jmccoy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 am

SarathW wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 am
Vipassana is not the way to enlightenment.
Just sitting ten hours is a waste of time.
The best time to sleep is after 4.00am.
You can meditate about one hour at 7.00am. It is more productive.
Observing precepts are more important than meditation to attain enlightenment.

Is this a fair criticism?
Ahhh whatever man.
I only watched it from the timestamp you linked it from.

Let me ask this: if there was an extremely unwholesome individual (a person whose *daily* life consists of performing actions which violate 4 or 5 of the five precepts) that you then put into an environment much like a (or exactly as a) Goenka Vipassana retreat, then is it still correct to say that 10 hours of sitting is a waste of time for that person (or even for society as a whole)?

This guy in the video seems like a marketer. Funny how he says, "can you do it for 48 minutes?"
In other words, if you went into pure jhana for 48 straight minutes but then came out of it "not enlightened" (by this guy's standard/defintion), then it's easy for this guy to just say, "oh, you didn't go deep enough / you weren't really in just your soul / it didn't work because of YOUR inadequacy, not mine" etc.

Just another charlatan marketing B.S., as far as I can tell.

Some guys have gone to say that it should take a split second if you "do it right" (like S.W.L. Poonja aka Papaji).
Honestly I just don't think these guys are talking about the true enlightenment (eradication of desire).
Even if one intellectually "incapacitates" all craving (such as to decide by will not to feed the craving for sensual desires any further by totally and completely abstaining from all of them hence of a single moment of recognition or realization), craving still persists as a bodily / biophysical phenomenon that takes multiple cycles of time/space (i.e. days, weeks, months) to diminish in toto.

I wonder how much $$$$ this guy charges for a 48 minute or hour-long session.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:19 am

He appears to be a Jain guru? If so, then he's not very Jain-like in stating that enlightenment can be obtained in 48 minutes.

He does mention getting established in the 5 precepts (Jain version which is very similar to Buddhist ones) and eliminating attachment & aversion; which is very similar, almost identical to initial Buddhist practice.