Hindu Practice Vs Buddhist Practice

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Coëmgenu

Re: Hindu Practice Vs Buddhist Practice

Post by Coëmgenu »

Saengnapha wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 am
cappuccino wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 pm
Saengnapha wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:37 amit is often based on pre-conceived ideas about what we think is an enlightened man and what he/she should look and act like.
only a follower of a Buddha can be enlightened,
if by enlightened you mean Nirvana

if you don't mean Nirvana,
you're speaking of the formless jhanas
If you are honest with yourself, the only things you know of the historical Buddha are your images which you have put together from books and conversations with others. None of it is real, only fabrications of conditioned thinking. Letting go of these images is the practice, no matter what you think or feel.
On the other hand, it's a pretty common religious claim to say "mine" is demonstrable and provable through experiential verification. These "images" : the momentary dhamma, formless jhanas- for many people, at least as far as their words indicate their internal realities, these images are as real as their feet, as opposed to being book-learned theories.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 pm
Saengnapha wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 am
cappuccino wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 pm

only a follower of a Buddha can be enlightened,
if by enlightened you mean Nirvana

if you don't mean Nirvana,
you're speaking of the formless jhanas
If you are honest with yourself, the only things you know of the historical Buddha are your images which you have put together from books and conversations with others. None of it is real, only fabrications of conditioned thinking. Letting go of these images is the practice, no matter what you think or feel.
On the other hand, it's a pretty common religious claim to say "mine" is demonstrable and provable through experiential verification. These "images" : the momentary dhamma, formless jhanas- for many people, at least as far as their words indicate their internal realities, these images are as real as their feet, as opposed to being book-learned theories.
Yes, but they don't produce nibbana and the self-structure remains. Jhanas temporarily suspend some mind-activities but this is not what the great masters meant by realization.
jmccoy

Post by jmccoy »

I apologize for all comments I have been made on this forum and especially by me in particularly this specific thread (probably not in any other).
:goodpost: