Hindu Practice Vs Buddhist Practice

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
jmccoy

Re: Hindu Practice Vs Buddhist Practice

Post by jmccoy »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:12 am
jmccoy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:02 am
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:05 am
Did you ever meet him?
No
Then all you have are various ideas that you've formulated through reading his books and accounts of others. You have no first hand experience of what it is like to be around him and his disciples and live the life that he is proposing. Am I correct? You could be completely mistaken about your conclusions, and the people that have talked about him could have been mistaken about their conclusions, both positive or negative. So what do you rely on to 'judge' someone like him or anyone else that you really don't know or have first hand experience with?
I'm sorry, but who are you? I seem to recall asking a question specifically of No_Mind.

Unless you are No_Mind and are running two or more accounts, then you, sir (or ma'am) are invited to ignore my presence on this thread and forum (i.e. you are now on my foe list). I have no interest in dialoguing with you at all.

Have a nice life, or not.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

jmccoy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:05 pm
jmccoy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:02 am
No
Then all you have are various ideas that you've formulated through reading his books and accounts of others. You have no first hand experience of what it is like to be around him and his disciples and live the life that he is proposing. Am I correct? You could be completely mistaken about your conclusions, and the people that have talked about him could have been mistaken about their conclusions, both positive or negative. So what do you rely on to 'judge' someone like him or anyone else that you really don't know or have first hand experience with?
I'm sorry, but who are you? I seem to recall asking a question specifically of No_Mind.

Unless you are No_Mind and are running two or more accounts, then you, sir (or ma'am) are invited to ignore my presence on this thread and forum (i.e. you are now on my foe list). I have no interest in dialoguing with you at all.

This is a discussion board. Posters are free to respond to posts. I asked you a few simple questions and you flipped out. :shrug:
manas

Post by manas »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 am
No_Mind wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:15 amHow similar is it to Buddhist practice (compare practice to practice ..
The Buddhist path is lead by wisdom or Right View (MN 117). Without wisdom --- precepts, sense control & samadhi are difficult to achieve. As for ' asana', in Buddhism, there are four, namely, sitting, standing, walking & lying down. In general, seeking 'the divine' is not really the same as seeking the end of suffering because the suffering (& its causes) which is be ended is something clearly known.
I had some wonderful experiences while practicing Bhakti Yoga, but the Buddha's Path has helped me to investigate the mind itself, which is not the same thing.
In goodwill :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
jmccoy

Post by jmccoy »

Saengnapha wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:37 am

This is a discussion board. Posters are free to respond to posts. I asked you a few simple questions and you flipped out. :shrug:
lol ok.
I'll bite.

And even though you put the term 'judge' into quotes (thereby making whatever you actually meant totally unclear) I will simply assume that you were making a judgment of me and saying that I was JUDGING Adi Da.

The only judgmental statement I definitely made was that he wasn't the sole 7th stage realizer.
What do I rely on to make that judgment? Like every other homo sapien sapiens, I rely on my own discernment (viveka) of matters.

Perhaps it is a surprise to you to imagine the possibility that a firsthand experience of something is not necessary to make an accurate judgment or discernment about it. Hopefully it is not so surprising to you. Otherwise, I have some real estate in the Cayman Islands that I think you would be very interested in.

I am curious - would you agree or disagree that it is safe to discern that playing "Russian Roulette" is not a good idea without actually playing it?

I find your questioning my judgment of Adi Da to be redundant and non-constructive, particularly if you yourself have a) never had "firsthand" experience of Adi Da and b) never had "firsthand" experience of me. Now if you seriously believe that Adi Da's enlightenment is superior to Gautama Siddhartha's and altogether unparalleled by any and all realizers (as Adi Da remarked to be so on at least one occasion), then good for you - and I would ask YOU to qualify that judgment. Otherwise I only wonder what is the motivation and/or inspiration of your questioning my judgment in the first place? Were you really hoping to gain a non-"out-flipped" response to your clearly confrontational (while claimed-by-you "simple") few questions?

Why do I think Adi Da wasn't more enlightened than Gautama? (that's actually your question, dude) Generally because Adidam isn't as widely accepted by the world as Gautama's dhamma is. And for someone who claimed to be the "Promised World-Teacher" there doesn't seem to be much that is going to happen with Adidam that is actually going to de-feat Dhamma, Vaishnavism, Shaivism, and various other *isms that are well-instituted on this planet.

Otherwise I actually like Adi Da and prefer his talks/satsangs over mostly anyone else's. I also do have some general aversion regarding the various sexual controversies that surround him because I have an affinity toward the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct. Whether or not the controversies have basis is relatively irrelevant considering that the Tathagata had no such stigma associated with him (which is part of the basis of why I "judge" Adi Da as NOT being more realized than Buddha).

But hey, if you like boinking other peoples' wives/husbands and having your wife/husband boinked by others, then maybe Adidam is for you. Just because I don't have firsthand experience of the sexual controversies of Adidam doesn't mean they aren't true, and more importantly it doesn't mean that I should dismiss them skeptically until or unless I were to have experienced them firsthand as true.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

jmccoy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 am
Saengnapha wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:37 am

lol ok.
I'll bite.

And even though you put the term 'judge' into quotes (thereby making whatever you actually meant totally unclear) I will simply assume that you were making a judgment of me and saying that I was JUDGING Adi Da.

The only judgmental statement I definitely made was that he wasn't the sole 7th stage realizer.
What do I rely on to make that judgment? Like every other homo sapien sapiens, I rely on my own discernment (viveka) of matters.

Perhaps it is a surprise to you to imagine the possibility that a firsthand experience of something is not necessary to make an accurate judgment or discernment about it. Hopefully it is not so surprising to you. Otherwise, I have some real estate in the Cayman Islands that I think you would be very interested in.

I am curious - would you agree or disagree that it is safe to discern that playing "Russian Roulette" is not a good idea without actually playing it?

I find your questioning my judgment of Adi Da to be redundant and non-constructive, particularly if you yourself have a) never had "firsthand" experience of Adi Da and b) never had "firsthand" experience of me. Now if you seriously believe that Adi Da's enlightenment is superior to Gautama Siddhartha's and altogether unparalleled by any and all realizers (as Adi Da remarked to be so on at least one occasion), then good for you - and I would ask YOU to qualify that judgment. Otherwise I only wonder what is the motivation and/or inspiration of your questioning my judgment in the first place? Were you really hoping to gain a non-"out-flipped" response to your clearly confrontational (while claimed-by-you "simple") few questions?

Why do I think Adi Da wasn't more enlightened than Gautama? (that's actually your question, dude) Generally because Adidam isn't as widely accepted by the world as Gautama's dhamma is. And for someone who claimed to be the "Promised World-Teacher" there doesn't seem to be much that is going to happen with Adidam that is actually going to de-feat Dhamma, Vaishnavism, Shaivism, and various other *isms that are well-instituted on this planet.

Otherwise I actually like Adi Da and prefer his talks/satsangs over mostly anyone else's. I also do have some general aversion regarding the various sexual controversies that surround him because I have an affinity toward the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct. Whether or not the controversies have basis is relatively irrelevant considering that the Tathagata had no such stigma associated with him (which is part of the basis of why I "judge" Adi Da as NOT being more realized than Buddha).

But hey, if you like boinking other peoples' wives/husbands and having your wife/husband boinked by others, then maybe Adidam is for you. Just because I don't have firsthand experience of the sexual controversies of Adidam doesn't mean they aren't true, and more importantly it doesn't mean that I should dismiss them skeptically until or unless I were to have experienced them firsthand as true.
I think you've taken my comments in completely the wrong way. I was merely asking if you had met him. You said no. So I asked you how you come to your conclusions/take on him? I happened to have known him and had first hand contact with him. I didn't make any comment on what I felt about him or denigrated what you may have felt from reading about him. I am skeptical of anyone reading about a teacher and then drawing conclusions about them because it is often based on pre-conceived ideas about what we think is an enlightened man and what he/she should look and act like.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

jmccoy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 am What is your take on Adi Da Samraj?
Quite an exchange there. Replying to clarify to jmmccoy

Franklin Albert Jones seems to have been a nut case during the hippie era .. he is too weird for me to have a take on him. I am very mainstream in this sense .. anyone doing hard drugs and living the alternate lifestyle is not noticed by me (come to think of it I am mainstream in every sense)

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:37 amit is often based on pre-conceived ideas about what we think is an enlightened man and what he/she should look and act like.
only a follower of a Buddha can be enlightened,
if by enlightened you mean Nirvana

if you don't mean Nirvana,
you're speaking of the formless jhanas
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 pm
Saengnapha wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:37 amit is often based on pre-conceived ideas about what we think is an enlightened man and what he/she should look and act like.

If you are honest with yourself, the only things you know of the historical Buddha are your images which you have put together from books and conversations with others. None of it is real, only fabrications of conditioned thinking. Letting go of these images is the practice, no matter what you think or feel.
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

buddhism is correct
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Saengnapha wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 amLetting go of these images is the practice, no matter what you think or feel
No, that is not the practice
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Saengnapha wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 am

If you are honest with yourself, the only things you know of the historical Buddha are your images which you have put together from books and conversations with others. None of it is real, only fabrications of conditioned thinking. Letting go of these images is the practice, no matter what you think or feel.
On the other hand, it's a pretty common religious claim to say "mine" is demonstrable and provable through experiential verification. These "images" : the momentary dhamma, formless jhanas- for many people, at least as far as their words indicate their internal realities, these images are as real as their feet, as opposed to being book-learned theories.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 pm
Saengnapha wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 am

On the other hand, it's a pretty common religious claim to say "mine" is demonstrable and provable through experiential verification. These "images" : the momentary dhamma, formless jhanas- for many people, at least as far as their words indicate their internal realities, these images are as real as their feet, as opposed to being book-learned theories.
Yes, but they don't produce nibbana and the self-structure remains. Jhanas temporarily suspend some mind-activities but this is not what the great masters meant by realization.
jmccoy

Post by jmccoy »

I apologize for all comments I have been made on this forum and especially by me in particularly this specific thread (probably not in any other).
:goodpost: