Does Buddhism mean we "become" more 'feminine'?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
bodom

Re: Does Buddhism mean we "become" more 'feminine'?

Post by bodom »

Well then just between us i still find no fault with followers of other religions. Ajahn Chah spoke on christianity and said he sees basically no difference between it and Buddhism (not withstanding some differences of course) they both teach to do good and avoid evil he said. Christians and muslims practice to reach heaven. The buddha taught of wrong view but he also taught of making merit to gain a good heavenly rebirth as a worthwhile goal for householders.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
chownah

Post by chownah »

Annabel wrote:
chownah wrote:Men in general wear pants more and women tend to wear skirts more so does this mean that women who wear pants are getting in touch with their masculine sides and the men in Burma who wear skirts are getting in touch with their feminine sides?

Men in general have more facial hair while women generally have a higher percentage of body fat....does this mean that women with facial hair are more in touch with their masculine side and fat men are more in touch with their femine side?

Men in general have A and women in general have B so does this mean that if women have A etc. and if men have B etc.?

chownah
Thanks for making fun of the topic.
I was not making fun of the topic. This was meant to show that the main point of logic (as i see it) underpinning this topic is perhaps not very sound.
chownah
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Glad you added a perhaps. :sage:

I'm frustrated with the topic anyhow. Discuss without me.... :toilet:

I don't enjoy the misunderstandings.
Calahand

Post by Calahand »

Annabel wrote:It just crossed my mind.

In case we agree, that men in general, -with the exception of those Buddhist males who read this, of course,- tend to be more aggressive, tend to become physically violent more often , abusive, are more forceful, and women tend to be softer, more actively compassionate than men, then isn't a lot of spiritual cultivation about developing a bit more of the 'female' side in ourselves, the softer and more sensitive side?
Hi Annabel, your argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny and is unfortunately stereotypically sexist, because I could take the same argument and turn it around and present it to you like this:
"In case we agree, that women in general, -with the exception of those buddhist females who read this, ofcourse - tend to be more jealous, tend to become mentally cruel more often, verbally abusive, are more manipulative, and men tend to be more straightforward, more free with their friendships and have more comradery, then isn't a lot of spiritual cultivation about developing a bit more band of brothers attitude like how men show to each other?. "

As you can see, this counter-argument is also unfortunately stereotypically sexist and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I hope you see how you are mistaken here. Being "sensitive" to other's feelings is not something exclusively female. Some of the most compassionate, caring and nurturing people on this planet are men and that doesn't mean they are acting like women, it just means that they are men who are acting like compassionate beings.

much metta,
-Calahand.