Catholicism and Buddhism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Coëmgenu

Re: Catholicism and Buddhism

Post by Coëmgenu »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:06 am
Meezer77 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 am Who do you reckon came first? Kuan Yin or the Virgin Mary?
Mary.

Avalokiteśvara, a male Bodhisattva, didn't appear until mid-2nd century CE in the 25th chapter of the Lotus Sūtra and didn't undergo his Chinese sex change until several centuries later.

The veneration of Mary, by contrast, features almost from the beginning of Christian history.
At the same time, with the surprisingly strong Christian presence in China, I don't think that it is entirely unreasonable to suggest that it is possible that the female Chinese form of Avalokiteśvara may well have been influenced by the Syriac tradition of Marian veneration that would have been preserved by the Tang dynasty "luminous religion" (景教) of Nestorian Christianity. Guānyīn-with-child is a famous & well-attested artistic motif of Guānyīn-depiction that seems more Christian than Buddhist, as I can think of no Mahāyānasūtrāṇi in which Avalokiteśvara/Guānyīn and a child or his or hers play a great role.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:38 pm
Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:06 am
Meezer77 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 am Who do you reckon came first? Kuan Yin or the Virgin Mary?
Mary.

Avalokiteśvara, a male Bodhisattva, didn't appear until mid-2nd century CE in the 25th chapter of the Lotus Sūtra and didn't undergo his Chinese sex change until several centuries later.

The veneration of Mary, by contrast, features almost from the beginning of Christian history.
At the same time, with the surprisingly strong Christian presence in China, I don't think that it is entirely unreasonable to suggest that it is possible that the female Chinese form of Avalokiteśvara may well have been influenced by the Syriac tradition of Marian veneration that would have been preserved by the Tang dynasty "luminous religion" (景教) of Nestorian Christianity. Guānyīn-with-child is a famous & well-attested artistic motif of Guānyīn-depiction that seems more Christian than Buddhist, as I can think of no Mahāyānasūtrāṇi in which Avalokiteśvara/Guānyīn and a child or his or hers play a great role.

Wow! You both know your onions!
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Meezer77 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:35 am Being from a Catholic background, I've noticed that there are lots of parallels and similarities in the practices and rituals of Buddhism and Catholicism. Guan Yin seems very similar to the Virgin Mary, there's confession, holy water etc Jesuits had a significant influence in trade in Asia in the 16th and 17th centuries , I'm wondering if some of some of the practices infiltrated into Buddhist culture over the years.
You might want to read up on the history of Buddhism. Emperor Ashoka was the Buddhist "Constantine" that made Buddhism the first "world religion"...are you familiar with Barlaam and Josaphat? It's a copy of Buddhism...

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Not familiar with Barlaam and Josaphat, but I will certainly check this out. Cheers 😊