Taoism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
James Tan

Re: Taoism

Post by James Tan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Chen style Tai Chi

:reading:

khemindas

Post by khemindas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:47 am

Taoism praise infant or baby as highest ideal, while Buddha explained why it is wrong.

For example in Tao te ching:
" But I alone remain quiet and calm like an infant who is pure and innocent."
Being a valley of the world and not depart from the true nature, once can return to original pureness like an infant"

While Buddha explained that infant is impure and incomplete:

MN 78:

When an individual has four qualities I describe them, not as an invincible ascetic—accomplished in the skillful, excelling in the skillful, attained to the highest attainment—but as having achieved the same level as a little baby. What four? It’s when they do no bad deeds with their body; speak no bad words; think no bad thoughts; and don’t earn a living by bad livelihood. When an individual has these four qualities I describe them, not as an invincible ascetic, but as having achieved the same level as a little baby.
When an individual has ten qualities, master builder, I describe them as an invincible ascetic—accomplished in the skillful, excelling in the skillful, attained to the highest attainment. But certain things must first be understood, I say. ‘These are unskillful behaviors.’ ‘Unskillful behaviors stem from this.’ ‘Here unskillful behaviors cease without anything left over.’ ‘Someone practicing like this is practicing for the cessation of unskillful behaviors.’

MN 64:

For a young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘identity,’ so how could identity view arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to identity view lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘teachings,’ so how could doubt about the teachings arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to doubt lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘rules,’ so how could adherence to rules and observances arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to adhere to rules and observances lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘sensual pleasures,’ so how could sensual desire arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to sensual lust lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘beings,’ so how could ill will towards beings arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to ill will lies within him.

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:57 pm

Must you value what others value, avoid
what others avoid?
How silly!
Others are excited, as though at a party.
I alone am tranquil and expressionless, like
an infant too young to smile.

I alone have nowhere to be.

Tao Te Ching