sit and forget: the missing link to greater heights

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
archaic

Re: sit and forget: the missing link to greater heights

Post by archaic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:27 am
archaic wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm
Tao is union of yin and yang... A diffusion of the ego-identity into the sacred wholeness of nature.
That sounds similar to the union of Atman and Brahman in Hinduism?
Yes, I think most spiritual paths have a name for Tao. It is called many names.

A Christian becoming "one with God", or fusing with the Christ consciousness, or "heaven on earth" could be considered the same concept.

Annihilation of the self and oneness with the divine being in Sufism could describe the same.

Some interpret the end of samsara or Nibbana as also a 'union with the universe' or Tao.

Of course there are as many opinions as blades of grass. There will always be those who disagree so its up to your own discernment.

form

Post by form » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 am

archaic wrote:
Tao is union of yin and yang... A diffusion of the ego-identity into the sacred wholeness of nature.

One approaches a non-dualistic understanding of the universe. It is the intersection of both existence and ceasing to exist, at the same time.

Therefore Tao must be *simultaneously* expressed as both the most utterly simplistic concept, as well as the most intricately complex concept...

This is my understanding, but I don't pretend to be an expert.
From my understanding it is not, it is from yin/yang to wuji.

archaic

Post by archaic » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 am

form wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 am
archaic wrote:

One approaches a non-dualistic understanding of the universe. It is the intersection of both existence and ceasing to exist, at the same time.

Therefore Tao must be *simultaneously* expressed as both the most utterly simplistic concept, as well as the most intricately complex concept...

This is my understanding, but I don't pretend to be an expert.
From my understanding it is not, it is from yin/yang to wuji.
"Of course there are as many opinions as blades of grass."