sit and forget: the missing link to greater heights

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sam Vara

Re: sit and forget: the missing link to greater heights

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Explain the Tao in simple English terms, what a laugh, there's nothing simple about explaining the Tao!!
It looks as if there's two of us who don't seem to understand what the Tao is, then. :)

archaic

Post by archaic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Tao is union of yin and yang... A diffusion of the ego-identity into the sacred wholeness of nature.

One approaches a non-dualistic understanding of the universe. It is the intersection of both existence and ceasing to exist, at the same time.

Therefore Tao must be *simultaneously* expressed as both the most utterly simplistic concept, as well as the most intricately complex concept...

This is my understanding, but I don't pretend to be an expert.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 pm
lyndon taylor wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Explain the Tao in simple English terms, what a laugh, there's nothing simple about explaining the Tao!!
It looks as if there's two of us who don't seem to understand what the Tao is, then. :)
I understand what the Tao is, I just don't fancy trying to put it into simple terms, because its just not simple. Try reading the Tao te Ching, the whole book is about perceiving and appreciating the Tao.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:21 am

lyndon taylor wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 pm

I understand what the Tao is, I just don't fancy trying to put it into simple terms, because its just not simple. Try reading the Tao te Ching, the whole book is about perceiving and appreciating the Tao.
I've read the Tao te Ching, thanks.

Your point is, then, that I don't understand what the Tao is, that you, in contrast, do understand what it is, but that you don't fancy telling me, and have given me some reading to bring me up to speed.

I'm very grateful for this - it's helped a lot! :)

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:27 am

archaic wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm
Tao is union of yin and yang... A diffusion of the ego-identity into the sacred wholeness of nature.
That sounds similar to the union of Atman and Brahman in Hinduism?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

archaic

Post by archaic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:27 am
archaic wrote:
That sounds similar to the union of Atman and Brahman in Hinduism?
Yes, I think most spiritual paths have a name for Tao. It is called many names.

A Christian becoming "one with God", or fusing with the Christ consciousness, or "heaven on earth" could be considered the same concept.

Annihilation of the self and oneness with the divine being in Sufism could describe the same.

Some interpret the end of samsara or Nibbana as also a 'union with the universe' or Tao.

Of course there are as many opinions as blades of grass. There will always be those who disagree so its up to your own discernment.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

form

Post by form » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 am

archaic wrote:

One approaches a non-dualistic understanding of the universe. It is the intersection of both existence and ceasing to exist, at the same time.

Therefore Tao must be *simultaneously* expressed as both the most utterly simplistic concept, as well as the most intricately complex concept...

From my understanding it is not, it is from yin/yang to wuji.

archaic

Post by archaic » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 am

form wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 am
archaic wrote:

From my understanding it is not, it is from yin/yang to wuji.
"Of course there are as many opinions as blades of grass."