Dao De Jing or Tao Te Ching - Book of the way

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Dao De Jing or Tao Te Ching - Book of the way

Post by SarathW »

Great audio of the translation of Dao De Jing

https://youtu.be/UxEvRoAaYBM
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BasementBuddhist

Re: Dao De Jing or Tao Te Ching - Book of the way

Post by BasementBuddhist »

Thank you, Sarath. I'm enjoying listening.
form

Post by form »

The chapters in the first half or a third seems supramandane, then comes chapters talking about how to ran a country, even with any form of self defence.
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

I really liked reading the Tao Te Ching before landing on Buddhism - there is a sense of beauty and naturalness to it. There is some wisdom there, for sure. But at the end of the day, it is not Buddhism...I don't think its leading directly to the end of suffering.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

it is not Buddhism...I don't think its leading directly to the end of suffering.
Agree.
It appears there are some flows in Taoism. I wonder whether it is promoting non-doing.
This is why it appears that confucinism emerge to counter act Taoism.
The fascinating thing about is how this brief teaching spread to such massive following.
Perhaps the simplicity.
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

SarathW wrote:
it is not Buddhism...I don't think its leading directly to the end of suffering.
Agree.
It appears there are some flows in Taoism. I wonder whether it is promoting non-doing.
This is why it appears that confucinism emerge to counter act Taoism.
The fascinating thing about is how this brief teaching spread to such massive following.
Perhaps the simplicity.
Yea, interesting - confucianism is very "yang" right?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

SarathW wrote:...
The concept of "wu wei" is central to Taoism. It is usually translated as "non-doing" but it's a bit more than that.
In the Taoist texts, wu wei (無 爲) is often associated with water and its yielding nature. In illustration, it can assume any form or shape it inhabits.

Wu may be translated as not have or without; Wei may be translated as do, act, serve as, govern or effort. The literal meaning of wu wei is "without action", "without effort", or "without control", and is often included in the paradox wei wu wei: "action without action" or "effortless doing". The practice of wu wei and the efficacy of wei wu wei are fundamental tenets in Chinese thought and have been mostly emphasized by the Taoist school. One cannot actively pursue wu wei. It manifests as a result of cultivation. The Tao is a guide.

There is another less commonly referenced sense of wu wei; "action that does not involve struggle or excessive effort". In this instance, wu means "without" and Wei means "effort". The concept of "effortless action" is a part of Taoist Internal martial arts such as T'ai chi ch'uan, Baguazhang and Xing Yi. It follows that wu wei complies with the distinguishing feature of Taoism, that of being natural.

In Zen Calligraphy, wu wei has been represented as an ensō (circle); in China, the calligraphic inscriptions of the words wu wei themselves resonate with old Taoist stories.

Several chapters of the most important Taoist text, the Tao Te Ching, attributed to Laozi, allude to "diminishing doing" or "diminishing will" as the key aspect of the sage's success. Taoist philosophy recognizes that the Universe already works harmoniously according to its own ways; as a person exerts their will against or upon the world they disrupt the harmony that already exists. This is not to say that a person should not exert agency and will. Rather, it is how one acts in relation to the natural processes already existent. The how, the Tao of intention and motivation, that is key.
That's from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei#Taoist_usage. Click on the link and read the whole page if you want more.

There are deep similarities between Taoism and Buddhism, and even more similarities between Taoism and Zen. Of course, Zen arose from Chan which developed as Indian Buddhism was translated into Chinese cultural patterns, but tracing the influences - in both directions - is likely to be controversial and is sure to be mostly guesswork.

:namaste:
Kim

P.S. Here's one attempt to trace connections. I'm not entirely convinced by it, but it's a good start. http://www.outsidecontext.com/2013/05/1 ... -the-east/
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thank you, Kim, for the clarification.
BasementBuddhist

Post by BasementBuddhist »

Obviously there are what seem to be differences among them, but I feel that there are so many many different belief systems that are speaking to the same central truth. While I am a Buddhist to my soul-less core, wisdom is wisdom wherever you find it. It should always be embraced.
form

Post by form »

Non doing = no volition.

Taoism is the way ancient Chinese talk, either you get it at once or you Dun. Pali canon is the way Indian talk in a more wordy way but not necessarily clearer.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Fun fact about the Dàodéjīng:

It is VERY minimal and sparse. It makes the Chinese āgamaḥ look like Hegel in comparison.

The opening stanza is only 9 words.

The entire opening chapter has only 50 words. Compare this with some of the very verbose translations of it in Engish!
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Coëmgenu wrote:Fun fact about the Dàodéjīng:

It is VERY minimal and sparse. It makes the Chinese āgamaḥ look like Hegel in comparison.

The entire opening chapter has only 50 words. Compare this with some of the very verbose translations of it in Engish!
My favourite edition is the Sacred Arts publication translated by Martin Palmer, Jay Ramsay, Man-Ho Kwok. I'm sure it uses more words than the Chinese (I don't read Chinese but I do know it's renowned for conciseness) but it's still not verbose.

:reading:
Kim
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Kim OHara wrote:

My favourite edition is the Sacred Arts publication translated by Martin Palmer, Jay Ramsay, Man-Ho Kwok. I'm sure it uses more words than the Chinese (I don't read Chinese but I do know it's renowned for conciseness) but it's still not verbose.

:reading:
Kim
Well, to be fair, if it takes 150+ English words (as a random example) to explain 50 ancient Chinese words, it makes sense given their ancientness and foreignness.

But the discrepancy is still surreal!
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

I spent quite a bit of time in Barnes and Noble comparing translations one time. It seemed to me the best translation is John C.H. Wu. But then again, that determination wasn't based on a knowledge of Chinese, so I'd be curious your evaluation of that translation.
form

Post by form »

davidbrainerd wrote:

I spent quite a bit of time in Barnes and Noble comparing translations one time. It seemed to me the best translation is John C.H. Wu. But then again, that determination wasn't based on a knowledge of Chinese, so I'd be curious your evaluation of that translation.
This version is the only one I have at home. I am not sure if it is the best, but it is the one I happened to buy long time ago. Daodejing benefit best when one read and meditate on it. And only the front chapters work. Those chapters at the back I suspect were added in later.