was jesus an arahant

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dhammarakkhito

was jesus an arahant

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

i used to think jesus was a fully enlightened person, if not self-awakened, but after i watched this video i thought this must not be true https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJUg52adII
but that leads me to another conclusion, perhaps, that jesus didn't exist. or that jesus did exist but his record has been obscured. bringing others back from the dead must be something figurative. i guess it doesn't matter
Last edited by Dhammarakkhito on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
SarathW

Re: was jesus an arahant

Post by SarathW »

Nice video.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

He would have to have been Buddhist to be an arahant. There are theories he was. I don't know if they are true. I don't feel there's enough information about him since he is so detached from a Buddhist context. But I know very little about Christianity.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Javi

Post by Javi »

He probably believed in the Jewish God which makes him an eternalist.

So probably not
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
chownah

Post by chownah »

Perhaps off topic: jesus was not a christian and buddha was not a buddhist.
chownah
chownah

Post by chownah »

maranadhammomhi wrote:He would have to have been Buddhist to be an arahant. There are theories he was. I don't know if they are true. I don't feel there's enough information about him since he is so detached from a Buddhist context. But I know very little about Christianity.
I think that maybe jesus was a pachinkobuddha and thus would qualify as an arahant.....I guess.....don't know for sure..... :jumping:
chownah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

chownah wrote:Perhaps off topic: jesus was not a christian and buddha was not a buddhist.
chownah
Buddha did not call himself a "Buddhist" because the term "Buddhism" didn't exist yet. He followed the Dhamma-Vinaya which he rediscovered, in a line of past samma-sam-buddhas. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" as the saying goes, so it was Buddhism.

If Jesus existed, he was probably a Jewish-reformer which is why he was not accepted by the priestly class and masses. In the Samaritan story, Jesus says something like "salvation is for the Jews" to the Samaritan woman and he held a Passover ceremony in the Last Supper, which suggests still being a Jew.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

chownah wrote:Perhaps off topic: jesus was not a christian and buddha was not a buddhist.
chownah
Perhaps not written by chownah?

My bad attempt at a joke.

Jesus is often called the "Buddha of the West" by ecumenically minded Buddhists. I hear this generally a lot more from ecumenically minded Mahāyāna Buddhists, but I imagine the sentiment pervades in ecumenical areas of Theravāda as well. There are similarities between the teachings of Jesus and Buddhadharma (the focus on intention and intentionality being a huge parallel) and there are dissimilarities (often coming from the divergent Indic and [Hellenized?] Jewish cultural-religious backgrounds).

If we want to call Jesus a "Buddha" we then have to argue that either a) Christians do not have the original teachings of Jesus, or have them poorly preserved (Christian textual criticism is a very well-established field, this would not be a fruitful avenue of critique) or b) the Dharma can take on more provisional forms that conventionally thought.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coëmgenu wrote:If we want to call Jesus a "Buddha" we then have to argue that either a) Christians do not have the original teachings of Jesus, or have them poorly preserved (Christian textual criticism is a very well-established field, this would not be a fruitful avenue of critique) or b) the Dharma can take on more provisional forms that conventionally thought.
Was Jesus free of greed, anger, and delusion (about the Four Noble Truths)?

From what can be read in the Bible, he maintained self-view and was an eternalist. So, no, he doesn't qualify for a buddha.
b) the Dharma can take on more provisional forms that conventionally thought.
It's possible to be so open-minded that one's brains fall out ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

binocular wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:If we want to call Jesus a "Buddha" we then have to argue that either a) Christians do not have the original teachings of Jesus, or have them poorly preserved (Christian textual criticism is a very well-established field, this would not be a fruitful avenue of critique) or b) the Dharma can take on more provisional forms that conventionally thought.
Was Jesus free of greed, anger, and delusion (about the Four Noble Truths)?
How would I know? His "suffering" on the cross is very important in Christianity... so...
binocular wrote:From what can be read in the Bible, he maintained self-view and was an eternalist. So, no, he doesn't qualify for a buddha.
Well, to be fair, "self-view" is a Indic concept that is completely foreign to non-Indic metaphysics. Non-Indic metaphysics may hold what Indic metaphysics "would call" an ātman, but the discourse of ātman/attā itself is utterly foreign to the West, IMO.
binocular wrote:
b) the Dharma can take on more provisional forms that conventionally thought.
It's possible to be so open-minded that one's brains fall out ...
Ummm.... who exactly is this "self" you are positing who "owns" brains that can fall out?

Nvm I'm just being a troll. Yeah, indeed.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

Coëmgenu wrote:
If we want to call Jesus a "Buddha" we then have to argue that either a) Christians do not have the original teachings of Jesus, or have them poorly preserved (Christian textual criticism is a very well-established field, this would not be a fruitful avenue of critique)
It reminds me of how Muslims say that Gautama was a Prophet sent by Allah who was misunderstood by the people he preached.
form

Post by form »

Absorbing sacred figures from another religion and ranked it at a lower hierarchy of one own belief system is a common strategy to downplay competitors. :mrgreen:
befriend

Post by befriend »

I always had a hard time praying to Jesus as I never thought he was pure in conduct i.e. His getting angry at the money changers in the temple.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

I read about his hidden life and his years in india, when he was in the cross he attained samadhi to deal with pain, then he appeared to be dead, then the romans took him to his tumb, and his master from india awaken him to go to india by using psychic powers. So he never died in the cross i think, there is a tumb in cachemire where people call the dead person there as isa the name given to him in that place, he had sons, and got married.
Jetavan

Post by Jetavan »

David N. Snyder wrote:
chownah
Buddha did not call himself a "Buddhist" because the term "Buddhism" didn't exist yet. He followed the Dhamma-Vinaya which he rediscovered, in a line of past samma-sam-buddhas.
Did the Buddha take refuge in any of his past-lives?