Freedom From Buddha Nature by Thanissaro Bhikkhu & Zen Master Dogen

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
binocular

Re: Freedom From Buddha Nature by Thanissaro Bhikkhu & Zen Master Dogen

Post by binocular »

aflatun wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:35 pm There are free versions on the internet just so you're aware. I don't mean pirated, I mean actually free
Ain't nothing like a real book, on paper, fancily bound.
:reading:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

bodom wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:51 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:27 pm This is a great thread-- I knew Ajahn Geoff likes Dogen most of the mahayana teachers, wasn't sure why but this thread inspired me to buy the shobogenzo. May be the first mahayana book I've read in years.
I was thinking of getting a copy myself. Which translation did you order?

:namaste:
I settled on Treasury of the True Dharma Eye by Kezuaki Tanahashi-- on "sale" at amazon for 59 bucks down from $100. Its 1200 pages (!).
bodom

Post by bodom »

dharmacorps wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:43 pm
bodom wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:51 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:27 pm This is a great thread-- I knew Ajahn Geoff likes Dogen most of the mahayana teachers, wasn't sure why but this thread inspired me to buy the shobogenzo. May be the first mahayana book I've read in years.
I was thinking of getting a copy myself. Which translation did you order?

I settled on Treasury of the True Dharma Eye by Kezuaki Tanahashi-- on "sale" at amazon for 59 bucks down from $100. Its 1200 pages (!).
I was looking at that one. I think I'm going to go with the Gudo Nishijima and Cross's four book set of translations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14196 ... BUNDZ6F5YP

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Ah yes that one looks good as well. Once we finish reading it, let's touch base here!
befriend

Post by befriend »

The minds nature is to be aware, awareness is always there underneath your thoughts awareness is beautiful and compassionate and purifies. the nature of the mind is beautiful because it's nature is awareness which sees things as they are and is compassionate. Awareness is compassionate.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.