Theosophy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Theosophy

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Javi wrote:Ultimately the main problem with Theosophy is its teaching of an eternal Self, like with Hinduism.
Will -
Doctrine is less important, (even if 'ultimate') than the motive & effects of our thoughts, words and deeds
Javi -
Well, this is true to an extent, but we must remember that attachment to eternalistic doctrines is an extreme, and thus an obstacle to awakening according to the dhamma.
When I was much younger doctrines were far more important to me. Then I discovered, over the decades, that 80% (or some very large percentage) of Theosophists, Xtians, Muslims, HIndus, Buddhists etc. are not that well versed in, much less wedded to, such conceptual realms.

And truth be told, the percentage of those fully dedicated & vowed for many future lives to Bodhi or whatever ultimate spiritual goal, is small and always will be.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Will wrote:
Javi wrote:Ultimately the main problem with Theosophy is its teaching of an eternal Self, like with Hinduism.
Will -
Doctrine is less important, (even if 'ultimate') than the motive & effects of our thoughts, words and deeds
Javi -
Well, this is true to an extent, but we must remember that attachment to eternalistic doctrines is an extreme, and thus an obstacle to awakening according to the dhamma.
When I was much younger doctrines were far more important to me. Then I discovered, over the decades, that 80% (or some very large percentage) of Theosophists, Xtians, Muslims, HIndus, Buddhists etc. are not that well versed in, much less wedded to, such conceptual realms.

And truth be told, the percentage of those fully dedicated & vowed for many future lives to Bodhi or whatever ultimate spiritual goal, is small and always will be.
That might be the case but that still does not mean that right view is not important, seeing as it is part of the eight-fold path.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
chownah

Post by chownah »

Will wrote: When I was much younger doctrines were far more important to me. Then I discovered, over the decades, that 80% (or some very large percentage) of Theosophists, Xtians, Muslims, HIndus, Buddhists etc. are not that well versed in, much less wedded to, such conceptual realms.
Yeah, most christians in the usa only go to church on easter....so what?
chownah
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The theosophical movement is ancient and Blavatsky only outlined the latest presentation.

Here is a theosophist who was never a member of any group inspired by Blavatsky:
The central aim of Vedanta is to bring all to one unifying understanding, yet to let each one follow his own particular form of faith. When we try to force sameness of thought, it bars spiritual progress; but when we admit the possibility of perfect unity in variety, then each one is able to advance in his own way.

Vedanta realizes that as long as there are such differences in human temperament and mind, we cannot expect all to worship in the same manner. To destroy diversity in life would be to destroy much of its beauty and sublimity. Therefore Vedanta includes in its scope all forms of thought.
From Emerson and Vedanta by Swami Paramananda
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Will wrote:The theosophical movement is ancient and Blavatsky only outlined the latest presentation.

Here is a theosophist who was never a member of any group inspired by Blavatsky:
The central aim of Vedanta is to bring all to one unifying understanding, yet to let each one follow his own particular form of faith. When we try to force sameness of thought, it bars spiritual progress; but when we admit the possibility of perfect unity in variety, then each one is able to advance in his own way.

Vedanta realizes that as long as there are such differences in human temperament and mind, we cannot expect all to worship in the same manner. To destroy diversity in life would be to destroy much of its beauty and sublimity. Therefore Vedanta includes in its scope all forms of thought.
From Emerson and Vedanta by Swami Paramananda
That's not this Swami Paramananda http://www.swamiparamananda.org/about-s ... ramananda/ but this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Paramananda and he seems to have been a good person, but in what sense was he a Theosophist, Will?

:coffee:
Kim
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Kim OHara wrote: ...this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Paramananda and he seems to have been a good person, but in what sense was he a Theosophist, Will?

Kim
Right, Swami P. (d. 1940) was in the Sri Ramakrishna lineage. Those two graphs of his say exactly what was the Universal Brotherhood notion of HPB & her gurus.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Graphs?

Kim
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Kim OHara wrote:Graphs?
Kim
Shorthand for key or nut paragraphs.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Will wrote:
Kim OHara wrote: ...this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Paramananda and he seems to have been a good person, but in what sense was he a Theosophist, Will?

Kim
Right, Swami P. (d. 1940) was in the Sri Ramakrishna lineage. Those two graphs of his say exactly what was the Universal Brotherhood notion of HPB & her gurus.
Okay ... now I understand your words.
But you haven't answered my question. In what sense was he a Theosophist?

Kim
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Kim OHara wrote: Okay ... now I understand your words.
But you haven't answered my question. In what sense was he a Theosophist?
Kim
Sorry Kim, words are all writers have here; meaning must be discovered (or not) by the reader.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Latest issue of one theosophical magazine - Lucifer:

http://www.blavatskyhouse.org/pdf/Lucif ... t_2017.pdf
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

You still haven't answered my question. In what sense was he a Theosophist?

Kim
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Kim OHara wrote:You still haven't answered my question. In what sense was he a Theosophist?

Kim

This reply below (and before) was my answer, if you cannot understand it yet - ponder more deeply.
Those two paragraphs of his say exactly what was the Universal Brotherhood notion of HPB & her gurus.
Hint: Things equal to the same thing are equal to each other.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Theosophy teaches, as foremost of all virtues, altruism and self-sacrifice, brotherhood and compassion for every living creature, without, for all that, worshipping Man or Humanity.
Blavatsky
form

Post by form »

Did Madame Blavatsky taught chakras?