Theosophy

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:27 pm

Javi wrote:Ultimately the main problem with Theosophy is its teaching of an eternal Self, like with Hinduism.
Will -
Doctrine is less important, (even if 'ultimate') than the motive & effects of our thoughts, words and deeds
Javi -
Well, this is true to an extent, but we must remember that attachment to eternalistic doctrines is an extreme, and thus an obstacle to awakening according to the dhamma.
When I was much younger doctrines were far more important to me. Then I discovered, over the decades, that 80% (or some very large percentage) of Theosophists, Xtians, Muslims, HIndus, Buddhists etc. are not that well versed in, much less wedded to, such conceptual realms.

And truth be told, the percentage of those fully dedicated & vowed for many future lives to Bodhi or whatever ultimate spiritual goal, is small and always will be.
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

User avatar
Javi
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Theosophy

Post by Javi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Will wrote:
Javi wrote:Ultimately the main problem with Theosophy is its teaching of an eternal Self, like with Hinduism.
Will -
Doctrine is less important, (even if 'ultimate') than the motive & effects of our thoughts, words and deeds
Javi -
Well, this is true to an extent, but we must remember that attachment to eternalistic doctrines is an extreme, and thus an obstacle to awakening according to the dhamma.
When I was much younger doctrines were far more important to me. Then I discovered, over the decades, that 80% (or some very large percentage) of Theosophists, Xtians, Muslims, HIndus, Buddhists etc. are not that well versed in, much less wedded to, such conceptual realms.

And truth be told, the percentage of those fully dedicated & vowed for many future lives to Bodhi or whatever ultimate spiritual goal, is small and always will be.
That might be the case but that still does not mean that right view is not important, seeing as it is part of the eight-fold path.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14

chownah
Posts: 6899
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Theosophy

Post by chownah » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:39 am

Will wrote: When I was much younger doctrines were far more important to me. Then I discovered, over the decades, that 80% (or some very large percentage) of Theosophists, Xtians, Muslims, HIndus, Buddhists etc. are not that well versed in, much less wedded to, such conceptual realms.
Yeah, most christians in the usa only go to church on easter....so what?
chownah

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:45 pm

The theosophical movement is ancient and Blavatsky only outlined the latest presentation.

Here is a theosophist who was never a member of any group inspired by Blavatsky:
The central aim of Vedanta is to bring all to one unifying understanding, yet to let each one follow his own particular form of faith. When we try to force sameness of thought, it bars spiritual progress; but when we admit the possibility of perfect unity in variety, then each one is able to advance in his own way.

Vedanta realizes that as long as there are such differences in human temperament and mind, we cannot expect all to worship in the same manner. To destroy diversity in life would be to destroy much of its beauty and sublimity. Therefore Vedanta includes in its scope all forms of thought.
From Emerson and Vedanta by Swami Paramananda
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 4677
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Theosophy

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Will wrote:The theosophical movement is ancient and Blavatsky only outlined the latest presentation.

Here is a theosophist who was never a member of any group inspired by Blavatsky:
The central aim of Vedanta is to bring all to one unifying understanding, yet to let each one follow his own particular form of faith. When we try to force sameness of thought, it bars spiritual progress; but when we admit the possibility of perfect unity in variety, then each one is able to advance in his own way.

Vedanta realizes that as long as there are such differences in human temperament and mind, we cannot expect all to worship in the same manner. To destroy diversity in life would be to destroy much of its beauty and sublimity. Therefore Vedanta includes in its scope all forms of thought.
From Emerson and Vedanta by Swami Paramananda
That's not this Swami Paramananda http://www.swamiparamananda.org/about-s ... ramananda/ but this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Paramananda and he seems to have been a good person, but in what sense was he a Theosophist, Will?

:coffee:
Kim

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Kim OHara wrote: ...this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Paramananda and he seems to have been a good person, but in what sense was he a Theosophist, Will?

:coffee:
Kim
Right, Swami P. (d. 1940) was in the Sri Ramakrishna lineage. Those two graphs of his say exactly what was the Universal Brotherhood notion of HPB & her gurus.
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 4677
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Theosophy

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:52 am

Graphs?

:coffee:
Kim

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:15 am

Kim OHara wrote:Graphs?
Kim
Shorthand for key or nut paragraphs.
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 4677
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Theosophy

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:40 am

Will wrote:
Kim OHara wrote: ...this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Paramananda and he seems to have been a good person, but in what sense was he a Theosophist, Will?

:coffee:
Kim
Right, Swami P. (d. 1940) was in the Sri Ramakrishna lineage. Those two graphs of his say exactly what was the Universal Brotherhood notion of HPB & her gurus.
Okay ... now I understand your words.
But you haven't answered my question. In what sense was he a Theosophist?

:coffee:
Kim

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Kim OHara wrote: Okay ... now I understand your words.
But you haven't answered my question. In what sense was he a Theosophist?
Kim
Sorry Kim, words are all writers have here; meaning must be discovered (or not) by the reader.
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Latest issue of one theosophical magazine - Lucifer:

http://www.blavatskyhouse.org/pdf/Lucif ... t_2017.pdf
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 4677
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Theosophy

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:16 pm

You still haven't answered my question. In what sense was he a Theosophist?

:coffee:
Kim

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Kim OHara wrote:You still haven't answered my question. In what sense was he a Theosophist?

Kim

This reply below (and before) was my answer, if you cannot understand it yet - ponder more deeply.
Those two paragraphs of his say exactly what was the Universal Brotherhood notion of HPB & her gurus.
Hint: Things equal to the same thing are equal to each other.
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Theosophy teaches, as foremost of all virtues, altruism and self-sacrifice, brotherhood and compassion for every living creature, without, for all that, worshipping Man or Humanity.
Blavatsky
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

form
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Theosophy

Post by form » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 am

Did Madame Blavatsky taught chakras?

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:05 pm

form wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 am
Did Madame Blavatsky taught chakras?
Not really - she mentioned their existence, but not much else.
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

form
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Theosophy

Post by form » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Will wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:05 pm
form wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 am
Did Madame Blavatsky taught chakras?
Not really - she mentioned their existence, but not much else.
Is it correct to say that leadbeater is the one expanded on it?

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 pm

form wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 pm
Will wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:05 pm
form wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 am
Did Madame Blavatsky taught chakras?
Not really - she mentioned their existence, but not much else.
Is it correct to say that leadbeater is the one expanded on it?
Yes
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

form
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Theosophy

Post by form » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:00 am

Thanks Will for sharing.

By the way, are the teachings from prominent thesophy figures totally consistent with each other, was there instances when their insights contradict with each other and they went seperate ways or debate with one another?

User avatar
Will
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Theosophy

Post by Will » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:04 pm

form wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:00 am
Thanks Will for sharing.

By the way, are the teachings from prominent thesophy figures totally consistent with each other, was there instances when their insights contradict with each other and they went seperate ways or debate with one another?
Your questions sound rhetorical. Do a little online search and find answers.
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests