Theravada position on self-immolation

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
chownah

Re: Theravada position on self-immolation

Postby chownah » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:03 pm

justindesilva wrote:May I note that in the case of ascetic Bakkula who decided to end his life ended up with Kasina bhavana which involves heat element or tejo dhatu to rap up the body to burn. The same argument arises in arhat Channa in channovada sutra.
Therefore timing to die with fire does not arise.

Thanks for posting this. I see that I had mistakenly assumed that there was wood involved because I did not read carefully and let my imagination fabricate a scenario which was absoltely not supported by what was written. I'm glad you posted and corrected my mistake.
Should this be considered self immolation? Should it be considered a suicide? Is it possible that bakkula new that the moment of death was at hand and just arranged for his final moments to dispose of his body?...in which case it would not be suicide....I guess...don't know for sure.....

Also, there was a self immolation in korea. Here is a link:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/korean-critical-self-immolating-over-sex-slave-deal-064353815.html
Evidently the buddhis monk did it over the gov't's agreement about the wwii japanese sex slavery issue.

I'm wondering if from a theravada point of view this immolation would be considered differently from the tibetan monk issue presented in the original post.
chownah

chownah

Re: Theravada position on self-immolation

Postby chownah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:43 am

It seems to me that the intention of the person who was lit on fire would be an important point from a theravada perspective.
Also, it seems that a theravada perspective would also encompass the intention of anyone who helped or encouraged that person to be lit on fire.
chownah

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”