Abhidhammic Misconceptions

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Javi

Re: Abhidhammic Misconceptions

Post by Javi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:53 am

It seems that if Nagarjuna was reacting to anything, it's more likely that it was a strain of Abhidhamma-fundamentalism, or Abhidhamma-only-ism, with a heterodox Abhidhammic discourse and/or the Sarvāstivāda Abhidharma itself, rather than to the Theravada Abhidhamma as it is presently understood, that much is clear.
Even the Sarvāstivāda Abhidharmikas did not all hold that svabhava = "own being" as an independent thingy. I remember when I was reading up on this in the past, and it seems that there was a lot of diversity in the Sarvastivda school (which makes sense, since it was quite spread out).

Since we only have the Abhidharmas of two schools and not the others, we might never know who Nagarjuna was responding against.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14