Sutta Readers: Shoot Me Down, Please

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
nowheat

Sutta Readers: Shoot Me Down, Please

Post by nowheat »

I have a different way of reading a particular sutta than is the standard. I'd like the opportunity to present it and have the kind and scholarly folks here have a look at it so that I can have a go at defending it, and maybe you can convince me I'm wrong. I never took debate class and I dislike arguing, so I'm not asking in order to Score Points. Also, I'm not sure how many regular Sutta Readers visit the Dhammic free-for-all category or if anyone would be interested in helping me out, so I thought I'd ask before I go writing anything up. My plan would be to take it slowly, one piece of the sutta at a time.

What say ye?

:namaste:
vinasp

Re: Sutta Readers: Shoot Me Down, Please

Post by vinasp »

Hi nowheat,

If your interpretation is non-standard then this is probably the right section. Yes, go ahead.

Best wishes, Vincent.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

why dont you just have a go in our sutta study section, then your ideas about the sutta of the week are right there along everyone eles who desides to join in?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

If you have a comment or interpretation then take the time to put it in writing. We will then either respond or not. I think that someone will respond.

Take care

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Individual

Post by Individual »

gabrielbranbury wrote:If you have a comment or interpretation then take the time to put it in writing. We will then either respond or not. I think that someone will respond.

Take care

Gabe
I agree. Until he does, I don't know what he wants us to say.

Which sutta is it? And how does he interpret it differently?

He issues a vague challenge, but then says he doesn't want to argue. Hrm.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

jcsuperstar wrote:why dont you just have a go in our sutta study section, then your ideas about the sutta of the week are right there along everyone eles who desides to join in?
Because it's a specific sutta, jc, and y'all have already covered it, and locked the topic. But it was kind of you to offer.
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

Individual wrote:
gabrielbranbury wrote:If you have a comment or interpretation then take the time to put it in writing. We will then either respond or not. I think that someone will respond.

Take care

Gabe
I agree. Until he does, I don't know what he wants us to say.

Which sutta is it? And how does he interpret it differently?

He issues a vague challenge, but then says he doesn't want to argue. Hrm.
I didn't mean to issue a challenge so much as a request for help (though admittedly the title sounds like a challenge, that was just a "hook").

All I was hoping would be said in response to the first post has been said, basically "We're listening, go ahead and talk."

It's MN 117 and I'll post the first piece shortly. Thanks!
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

[I apologize in advance for the length of these posts. Brevity is not my strength. I am going to post this in two pieces, a sort of "Position Statement" first, followed by the first portion of the sutta that I'd like help examining.]

It's my thought that it's not reasonable to expect that human beings could perfectly transmit the teachings of one man across 2,500 years; errors surely have crept in; maybe just small ones, maybe large ones. We can't know until we, first, look for them, and second, test them through our own insight – just as the Buddha would have taught us to do. What I felt was most necessary to being able to get a fresh interpretation of the Pali suttas was to have a deeper understanding of the times in which the Buddha gained his insight, and walked and taught. The context for particular reasoned arguments would be critical to understanding the subtleties of the points made, as well as the choices of words. This context would also be among the first things to grow muddled and vague in the understanding of those passing on the Buddha's Dhamma, which would make it easy for an early shift in meaning to be passed on and codified within the traditions. In order to gain this context I've been reading a lot about the times in which the Buddha lived, including what is known about competing philosophies, both Brahminical (“orthodox”) and heretical (“heterodox”). What I've seen since is that though the context may not have been considered when interpreting the suttas, it has often been carried forward nonetheless, as background. It has been faithfully transmitted with little change because it was considered part of the canon and as such rather “holy”. It seems to have been thought unnecessary to understand the context itself – so it did not get interpreted and reinterpreted, which means that change to descriptions of context will have had no easy way to creep in.

nowheat

Post by nowheat »

I have been looking for any corroboration one way or another as to where any changes in Pali suttas have occurred, and felt I could see patterns but had no strong case to make one way or another until a recent discussion in E-Sangha directed me toward MN 117 “The Great Forty” as the best evidence that the Buddha taught karma as a necessary part of his path. What I read said that it was included as part of “Right View” and a quick skim of that sutta supported that reading. The sutta is about the requisites for concentration and though methods of meditation are not directly addressed, the structure of the sutta indicates that Right View is the primary support. It further states that Right View, Right Effort, and Right Mindfulness work particularly well together (-“run a circle round right view”-) and then goes on to outline other supports: right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood.

[I will be using the Access to Insight translation here – though it is somewhat shortened – you are of course welcome to use any version you like, you should be able to follow along just as well and perhaps even provide different wording of translations, which could help.]

The part we will be most concerned with comes early in the sutta, and is, in fact, the beginnings of the heart of the teaching, since “Right View is the forerunner” throughout the sutta, and here we begin by dealing with Right View, which is discussed in three varieties: (1) Wrong View, (2) Right View with effluents, and (3) the Right View without effluents.

I would like to start looking for context in this sutta in the section on “Wrong View” and get your thoughts on it. We have a series of things apparently spoken by those who hold wrong views. The first phrase quoted shows that they say, “There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed.” What would someone mean when they say this? Surely not that they believe no one ever gives anything, never offers anything, never sacrifices anything; I feel sure it's not a face-value statement though if you think it is, I'd be glad to hear your reasoning. If not face value, what exactly do you think the wrong view is that involves a negation of what is given, offered, sacrificed?

The same question needs to be asked of “There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions.” Who holds this view and why?

And who would hold the view that “There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings”? Who would say there are “no priests or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves”? Are each of these separate items in a list of views that different individuals hold? In other words, does one person hold the wrong view that “There is no this world, no next world” and another holds the wrong view that “There is no mother, no father”? Or is this one long set of negative views that represent one philosophy?

These are the questions I began by asking myself, and I'd like your views, also.

:namaste: and thanks in advance for looking at this with me
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

nowheat wrote:
I would like to start looking for context in this sutta in the section on “Wrong View” and get your thoughts on it. We have a series of things apparently spoken by those who hold wrong views. The first phrase quoted shows that they say, “There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed.” What would someone mean when they say this?
This is the view of Purana Kassapa.
Surely not that they believe no one ever gives anything, never offers anything, never sacrifices anything; I feel sure it's not a face-value statement though if you think it is, I'd be glad to hear your reasoning. If not face value, what exactly do you think the wrong view is that involves a negation of what is given, offered, sacrificed?

The same question needs to be asked of “There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions.” Who holds this view and why?
This is also the view of Purana Kassapa.
And who would hold the view that “There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings”? Who would say there are “no priests or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves”? Are each of these separate items in a list of views that different individuals hold? In other words, does one person hold the wrong view that “There is no this world, no next world” and another holds the wrong view that “There is no mother, no father”? Or is this one long set of negative views that represent one philosophy?
These are the questions I began by asking myself, and I'd like your views, also.

:namaste: and thanks in advance for looking at this with me
Context. The Buddha teaches in a context. The religious context of his time included the Brahmanic teachings, and also those of the six heterodox teachers. Often, the Buddha is teaching specifically wrt to what these others say.

Rather than type out all the details here, I'll just say, if you can get a copy of Bodhi's translation of the Samanaphala Sutta and it's commentaries, then a great amount of the details can be found therein.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Nowheat
Doyou have access to Bhikkhu Bodhi and Bhikkhu Nanamoli's translation of the Majjhima Nikaya? Bhikkhu Bodhi's notes to the suttas make his translations invaluable. If I get time later on, I'll transcribe some of the notes to MN117.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

Paññāsikhara wrote: This is the view of Purana Kassapa.
Thanks, Pannasikhara, but for the sake of opening up the discussion here, do you think you could summarize your understanding of Purana Kassapa's view? I have my own understanding of it, but am trying to make this discussion accessible to a wide audience.

Thanks and :namaste:
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

In the meantime here's a quote from Wapedia:
Pūraṇa Kassapa was an Indian ascetic teacher who lived around the 5th or 4th c. BCE, contemporaneous with Mahavira and the Buddha.

Purana taught a theory of "non-action" (Pāli, Skt.: akiriyavada) whereby the body acts independent of the soul, merit or demerit. [1] In the Pali Canon, Purana (along with the ascetic Makkhali Gosala) is identified as an ahetuvadin, "denier of a cause" (of merit). [2]

As an example of Purana's beliefs, in the Samannaphala Sutta (DN 2) it is reported that Purana said:

"...n acting or getting others to act, in mutilating or getting others to mutilate, in torturing or getting others to torture, in inflicting sorrow or in getting others to inflict sorrow, in tormenting or getting others to torment, in intimidating or getting others to intimidate, in taking life, taking what is not given, breaking into houses, plundering wealth, committing burglary, ambushing highways, committing adultery, speaking falsehood — one does no evil. If with a razor-edged disk one were to turn all the living beings on this earth to a single heap of flesh, a single pile of flesh, there would be no evil from that cause, no coming of evil. Even if one were to go along the right bank of the Ganges, killing and getting others to kill, mutilating and getting others to mutilate, torturing and getting others to torture, there would be no evil from that cause, no coming of evil. Even if one were to go along the left bank of the Ganges, giving and getting others to give, making sacrifices and getting others to make sacrifices, there would be no merit from that cause, no coming of merit. Through generosity, self-control, restraint, and truthful speech there is no merit from that cause, no coming of merit.' [3]
The Anguttara Nikaya also reports that Purana claimed to be omniscient. The Dhammapada commentary claims that Purana committed suicide by drowning. [4]

The original quote in MN117 bears some superficial resemblance to the Prajnaparamita teaching like in the Heart Sutra, but as the material above shows it's not the same at all.

_/|\_
_/|\_
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

Ben wrote:Hi Nowheat
Do you have access to Bhikkhu Bodhi and Bhikkhu Nanamoli's translation of the Majjhima Nikaya? Bhikkhu Bodhi's notes to the suttas make his translations invaluable. If I get time later on, I'll transcribe some of the notes to MN117.
kind regards

Ben
Yes, thanks, I do have their edition, Ben, and have studied their translation and the notes for it. Their notes (#1101 falls before, and #1102 falls after this section) do not address the question I am asking, I'm afraid. I appreciate your offer of typing up notes, and if you see one that applies to the portion currently being discussed, it would be great if you typed it up for all to see and share in, however I am hoping to not get ahead of the questions I am asking in this thread and just work on this one little bit about understanding what exactly these wrong views are before heading onward.

nowheat

Post by nowheat »

Dan74 wrote:
Pūraṇa Kassapa was an Indian ascetic teacher who lived around the 5th or 4th c. BCE, contemporaneous with Mahavira and the Buddha.

Purana taught a theory of "non-action" (Pāli, Skt.: akiriyavada) whereby the body acts independent of the soul, merit or demerit. [1] In the Pali Canon, Purana (along with the ascetic Makkhali Gosala) is identified as an ahetuvadin, "denier of a cause" (of merit). [2]
The original quote in MN117 bears some superficial resemblance to the Prajnaparamita teaching like in the Heart Sutra, but as the material above shows it's not the same at all.

_/|\_
Thanks, Dan74. Do you think that covers all three? That is, is Purana's view somehow tied to the "no mother, no father" bits, and the "nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed"? Or just to the parts about karma? I am thinking his "non-action" is an answer to the theories of "karma" of the day since "karma" in the common view was "action"? It seems like Purana's views are a good fit for the part about “There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions" but I don't see how they'd cover the other parts.