Real Improvement Begins with ACCEPTANCE (article)

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Kumara

Real Improvement Begins with ACCEPTANCE (article)

Post by Kumara » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:47 am

Here's a very short article I recently wrote.
Attachments
ACCEPTANCE (A4).pdf
(164.35 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Profile: visualcv.com/kumara
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Real Improvement Begins with Acceptance (article)

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:10 am

Yes, a good distinction between acknowledging the things that cannot be changed, while not denying that things can be improved.

There's a widely accepted convention that using Caps Lock is like yelling. I got told off once by a moderator on the My Opera forums for pointing out that his post at the top of the forum was hypocritical:

DO NOT USE CAPS LOCK IN THREAD TITLES :juggling:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

subaru

Re: Real Improvement Begins with ACCEPTANCE (article)

Post by subaru » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14 am

Thank you bhante..

Many people , myself not excluded, are often trapped in papanca, it's very dangerous and difficult to exit without proper understanding.

Sayadaw U Tejaniya teachings made me realized that mindfulness can be achieved in daily life, especially when the mind is bored with anapanasati, the mindfulness via the remaining 5 sense-doors are paramattha dhammas as well. can be used to dispelled papanca by being truly mindful. Without this knowledge one can get trapped in papanca and sadly, without knowing it..
:candle:

peterve

Post by peterve » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:39 am

Kumara wrote:Here's a very short article I recently wrote.
I agree with Bhikkhu Pesala.
Very interesting on the acknowledgement between things that can't be changed without missing the facts that cannot be denied.
spam link removed by admin

Pinetree

Post by Pinetree » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:18 pm

There's a widely accepted convention that using Caps Lock is like yelling.
In my understanding, using CAPS to emphasize a word is acceptable.

Now I can see that in a title may be more problematic, but how else would one emphasize a word in titles ? Don't think the forum allows for that editing feature ...

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:12 pm

Pinetree wrote:
There's a widely accepted convention that using Caps Lock is like yelling.
In my understanding, using CAPS to emphasize a word is acceptable.

Now I can see that in a title may be more problematic, but how else would one emphasize a word in titles ? Don't think the forum allows for that editing feature ...
Did you read the article before posting?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Pinetree

Post by Pinetree » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:54 am

I have read the title, which I found quite inspiring, and I felt important to comment about that part.

It's a topic I have been pondering myself about, and in depth reading was planned for when I had more time available. Wanted to give it the well deserved importance.

---

The article was quite interesting to read, like I said above, it's a topic that I've been considering myself recently.

Personally, I gave up on using the word "acceptance", I only use the word acknowledge, when talking to people.

It really seems to me that "agreeing" is part of the meaning of the word "acceptance". Maybe not for all languages, I don't know - that would be interesting to learn.

As for "acknowledge", you can "know" about something and fight it. And that is the original problem: we have acknowledged it and now we fight it.

Now, it can be objected that if you resist something, you don't have the deepest, most pure knowledge, but that objection may not be practically useful.

The article brings an interesting point, that "resisting" can be a source of motivation, and of practical benefit, even if also cause of distress.

But question remains: what is a better source of motivation ? And if resisting is such a good motivation, maybe we should just accept it, swallow the bitter pill and get things done that need to be done.

Also, and obviously: "not resisting" is equally flawed as resisting, because it's not possible. We must accept resistance :)

Personally, I have some doubts about "resisting" - the word used in the context does not bring enough clarity. Because it can be traced back in a circle to the original problem: "not resisting" / "not fighting" / "not objecting" - means I agree with it and am willing to leave things as they are.

The objection is obvious - why would I agree to a bad thing ? -- And I already had known it's bad, that part I have already acknowledged :P

The way I would implement "acknowledging" is as such:

- acknowledge that something has happened

- acknowledge that it creates suffering

- acknowledge that I am fighting it

- acknowledge that fighting it creates more suffering

--------

Personally, I came to a different insight on the topic of acceptance, related to the present moment.

The present moment is as it is, it is existence as it unfolds at it's most fundamental and basic level, it can never be changed.

Any disagreement is completely illusory, it is only a conflict in your mind, completely unreal, just as between characters in a computer game.

There is an author who uses the word: "surrender", which I kind of like. You cannot dominate it or reign over the present moment, so just let go.