One Buddha < a few Buddhas?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
BuddhaFollower

One Buddha < a few Buddhas?

Post by BuddhaFollower »

So Theravada is limited to the teachings of one Buddha?

Vajrayana has the teachings of many Buddhas such as the 84 Mahasiddhas, Naropa, Maitripa etc.
BuddhaFollower

Re: The Pali Canon is Not Original, So What Shall We Do?

Post by BuddhaFollower »

So does Theravada limit itself to the teachings of one Buddha?
Wri

Post by Wri »

Arguing between which type of Buddhism is better is one of the least Buddhist things to do.
Keep your mind steady and rest within the winds of experience.
May I show unconditional love to all beings.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

BuddhaFollower wrote:So does Theravada limit itself to the teachings of one Buddha?
Kindly start a new thread if it's your wish to discuss the Theravada's view of Mahayanist buddha-manufacturing.

:focus:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
alan

Post by alan »

Agree with that, Dhammanando.
Until then, I'd offer an observation. There are some personality types who enjoy complication, who are happiest living in a world that cannot be comprehended, who take satisfaction in the idea that nothing can be known. They tend to choose Vajrayana.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

BuddhaFollower wrote:So Theravada is limited to the teachings of one Buddha?

Vajrayana has the teachings of many Buddhas such as the 84 Mahasiddhas, Naropa, Maitripa etc.
Your alias "BuddhaFollower" already explained itself. It's not "BuddhaSFollower" right?
Anyway, you might want to check out this sutta:
MN 115 wrote:It is impossible, it cannot happen that two Accomplished Ones, Fully Enlightened Ones, could arise contemporaneously in one world-system—there is no such possibility.
And Ven. Bodhi's note citing the Commentary:
MA: The arising of another Buddha is impossible from the time a bodhisatta takes his final conception in his mother’s womb until his Dispensation has completely disappeared. The problem is discussed at Miln 236–39.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

alan wrote: There are some personality types who enjoy complication, who are happiest living in a world that cannot be comprehended, who take satisfaction in the idea that nothing can be known. They tend to choose Vajrayana.
Based on my personal experience, this is true. It's usually the philosophers that gravitate to vajrayana and will often go out of their way to reference scholarly articles to downplay the "mainstream Hinayana tradition"
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

santa100 wrote: Your alias "BuddhaFollower" already explained itself. It's not "BuddhaSFollower" right?
Buddhadharma refers to the teachings of all Buddhas, whether Shakyamuni or Virupa.

My username is intended in the same way.
alan wrote: There are some personality types who enjoy complication, who are happiest living in a world that cannot be comprehended, who take satisfaction in the idea that nothing can be known. They tend to choose Vajrayana.
Surely you must know Vajrayana involves direct introduction to the nature of the mind. Thats the most well-known aspect.
ihrjordan wrote: Based on my personal experience, this is true. It's usually the philosophers that gravitate to vajrayana and will often go out of their way to reference scholarly articles to downplay the "mainstream Hinayana tradition"
There is nothing mainstream about Hinayana historically speaking.

We have centuries of Vajrayana commentaries from the medieval Indian Buddhist universities, along with records of what they practiced.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

BuddhaFollower wrote:So does Theravada limit itself to the teachings of one Buddha?
Yes, one is enough.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Dhammanando wrote: Kindly start a new thread if it's your wish to discuss the Theravada's view of Mahayanist buddha-manufacturing.

Naropa, Maitripa, Virupa etc. were historical figures just like Shakyamuni.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BuddhaFollower wrote:
Dhammanando wrote: Kindly start a new thread if it's your wish to discuss the Theravada's view of Mahayanist buddha-manufacturing.

Naropa, Maitripa, Virupa etc. were historical figures just like Shakyamuni.
So they may have been, but this is a Theravada forum, not a Mahayana forum.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
santa100

Post by santa100 »

BuddhaFollower wrote:Buddhadharma refers to the teachings of all Buddhas, whether Shakyamuni or Virupa.
Have you read MN 115 as suggested in my previous post?
Are you saying Virupa is a Buddha just like Shakyamuni Buddha? Please provide backup reference. I don't know which Virupa you're talking about but I hope you didn't mean the Virupa below:
wiki page wrote:According to traditional accounts, the lamdré teachings were originally bestowed upon Virūpa, an Indian monk, by the tantric deity Nairātmyā. By practicing the instructions given to him, Virūpa is said to have realized enlightenment.[3] Hagiographical accounts of Virūpa’s exploits record outrageous events, including binge drinking, seducing women, and destroying non-Buddhist (Skt. tīrtika) religious sites. Davidson suggests that this depiction shows the laxity of Buddhist morals during the Indian medieval period,[4] but Wedemeyer suggests that the behavior shown in esoteric Buddhist hagiographies is intentionally scandalous, forming a social commentary on broader issues being discussed in the Indian religious milieu.
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

santa100 wrote:Are you saying Virupa is a Buddha just like Shakyamuni Buddha?
Yes he is a Buddha. Just like the modern day Khenpo Achö who displayed rainbow body.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

:popcorn:
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
pilgrim

Re: One Buddha < a few Buddhas?

Post by pilgrim »

Isn't the teaching of every Buddha after Sakyamuni redundant? :stirthepot: