Where do you guys fall along the MBTI scale?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Reductor

Re: Where do you guys fall along the MBTI scale?

Post by Reductor » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:35 am

I used to test out as intj most often, but found the descriptions of that type didn't seem really like me. Then I joined newsgroups and other forums for the type and found the overall tone to be off putting.

Recently I took the test again, and tried to think back on what I do versus what I think I should do, and the result came back as infj. Fine, the description fits better, but when I read reedit.com/r/infj , I find the tone too touchy feely, which makes me wonder what value this system has for me if the people who are supposed to be most like me make me cringe.

Maybe I'm a self hating infj? :lol:

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:48 am

Last edited by alan on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:21 am

I got INFP this time.

Back in high school I used to be a bit obsessed with this thing and became pretty good at predicting what types people would get. Then I realized it wasn't good science and was very sad.
Still, these kinds of test can be useful in that they at least get one thinking about one's personality strengths and weaknesses. Even if the test is scientific garbage, it still encourages introspection.

However, I do remember being unhealthily possessive of the type I usually scored as back then -INTP which goes to show that the 'type' can also just be another burdensome possession which one has to learn to put down. (I still identified with that (INTP) type halfway through college, even though I knew it was nonsense.)

Overall all then I guess its just neutral, and there's certainly no harm in just getting amusement out of it in the same way one gets amusement out of fortune cookies.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 pm

"Take the case of another man. He is not even endowed with unwavering devotion to the Buddha, the Dhamma, the Sangha. He is not joyous and swift in wisdom and has not gained release. But he has just these things:"

INFP.

Travis

Post by Travis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:50 pm

I am an INTP. I think the most practical way to use this information is that it describes the dominant trend of your habitual tendencies. It is also useful to understand that the other factors or letters also express themselves in another dynamic, such as for an INTP, ESFJ (the opposite) is referred to by Jung (who originally came up with the idea, that was modified to become MBTI) as the shadow. The concept of the shadow is that the opposite factors tend to express themselves in a negative way, iirc, due to the fact that they are under developed or repressed. So it can be useful to understand in terms of skillfully understanding a fairly broad generalization of what we are working with, what it is drawn to, averse to, and what inherent dangerous tendencies to look out for as a result. This is what I made of it anyway, I could be wrong.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_(psychology)
*edited out incorrect term & for clarity ;)